Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tenbobnote

I Created A Website With NCAA Financial Data: Why NDSU Football Belongs In the Mountain West. Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Alright guys.

I created an entire website based on NCAA financial data and other public data showing NDSU would be great for the MWC.

https://ndsutofbs.com

So, where's the invite??

NDSU BELONGS IN THE MOUNTAIN WEST.png

I’ll give you an A+ for passion and effort. If we had to add a school right now from FCS, I’d go with you guys for sure. But the MWC isn’t going to add schools until it has to. 

You guys could go Indy, and I think you could pull it off just fine. You could play BYU, Army, NMSU, Liberty, play 1 or 2 FCS schools, and pick up some MWC, CUSA, MAC, SB and AAC games. That’s probably your best and only option right now. 

kat.jpg

I think if the MAC were smart they'd go all in on NDSU right now, and NDSU would probably contend to win the football championship immediately. 

I have seen NDSU in person at the FCS National Championship in Frisco the last two years and they've got the chops for it. They play disciplined football, are winners and they have a culture that fosters the expectation of achievement.

If the MWC were to lose teams, then I could see a push for NDSU, but, NMSU, UTEP, and perhaps Idaho, or UC Davis would move to back fill.

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

Guest #1Stunner
46 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Alright guys.

I created an entire website based on NCAA financial data and other public data showing NDSU would be great for the MWC.

https://ndsutofbs.com

So, where's the invite??

NDSU BELONGS IN THE MOUNTAIN WEST.png

Either Boise or SDSU will need to leave first, creating an opening for NDSU

Who would be NDSU's rivals in the MWC?

43 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If NDSU wants to be in the Mtn West, your state is going to have to come up with some mountains.    We aren't the Mtn Prairie Conference.  

I was going to say, if NDSU wants in the MWC, they’ll have to show some solid attendance. That means they’ll have to get everyone in North Dakota to attend their home games. 

kat.jpg

15 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I was going to say, if NDSU wants in the MWC, they’ll have to show some solid attendance. That means they’ll have to get everyone in North Dakota to attend their home games. 

Nevada football attendance drew 17.181 fans a game last year on average.  Reno is the last program that should be talking fan support or attendence.  NDSU drew more than you did against FCS teams.

32 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nevada football attendance drew 17.181 fans a game last year on average.  Reno is the last program that should be talking fan support or attendence.  NDSU drew more than you did against FCS teams.

This is a legitimate point.  Had they been able to attend this year that number would have increased but point taken. My main problem with NDSU is they are way way way far away..

Just now, nvspuds said:

This is a legitimate point.  Had they been able to attend this year that number would have increased but point taken. My main problem with NDSU is they are way way way far away..

That's my problem as well.  It would be like adding another Laramie but further away and with no history and tradition with current schools.

36 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yea, but we have a lot former Calis that don't like the cold.  We drew better in DII with day games (of course Ault was winning which helped.)  

3 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

Yea, but we have a lot former Calis that don't like the cold.  We drew better in DII with day games (of course Ault was winning which helped.)  

I don't think NV is really a football school.  There is lots of other things to do in Reno in the fall..I do wonder how the tv and streaming numbers play out.

We do draw well for basketball during the winter..

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought geography would be an issue but not the #1 and only issue raised. As far as I see it, NDSU would create rivals fast since they'd be a top contender right away.

As far as the MAC goes, it's seen as a downgrade from the current FCS conference. So, it's likely MW, new conference upon realignment, or bust. Going independent likely wouldn't work either as scheduling is perceived as a nightmare without a conference.

20 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought geography would be an issue but not the #1 and only issue raised. As far as I see it, NDSU would create rivals fast since they'd be a top contender right away.

As far as the MAC goes, it's seen as a downgrade from the current FCS conference. So, it's likely MW, new conference upon realignment, or bust. Going independent likely wouldn't work either as scheduling is perceived as a nightmare without a conference.

I'll throw in a few more concerns.

1. Recruiting. You've got the 141th ranked recruiting class in football for this year.  This seems fairly consistent since you were 142nd last year, 134th the year before, and 135th the year before that. I imagine that number would improve if you were in an FBS conference, but I'm not sure how much. Fargo is not exactly a choice destination for out of state talent and you don't have much in-state talent.

2. No TV contract value. You're in a tiny TV market and would be unlikely to improve the conference's TV contract value enough to justify an additional mouth to feed. Right now there's a lot of interest in NDSU because of their sustained run at the FCS level. You've been nearly undoubtedly the best FCS school for a while. But would that interest remain if you joined the FBS level and were maybe 6th in the conference for a few years? I doubt it.

3. No guarantee that you would be competitive at the next level. Even good FCS schools lose routinely to FBS level competition. NDSU has done well in the last few years of beating FBS opponents when they have had a chance to play them. I would try and play at least two every year if you can arrange it. That would make this point less of a concern. Alternatively, go to any other FBS level conference and win a title or two, then you'll be much more attractive as a candidate for the MWC.

4. No recruiting benefit to conference mates. I do get that there's some overlap with some of these points, but why add a school in North Dakota when the conference could add someone from California or Texas?

5. Travel costs for non-Football sports. Your website does mention flight time, but flights are expensive. And there are a lot of other sports other than football. (Although if NDSU wanted a football only invite this point would be moot.)

A lot of these aren't really your school's fault, but really the most salient point is that there's no real benefit to the conference to expand right now because there's no NEED to expand. If you were already in the conference and, say, Wyoming, was not and they had the same FCS run that NDSU has had, the conference probably wouldn't invite Wyoming either. 

Adding to Jim's points.

There aren't a lot of direct flights to Fargo from most of the MW schools..Your flight times would have to include one or two stops with layovers and in some case a long bus trip from the airport.

The worst part of the MW is the incredibly tough travel..

1 hour ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I'll throw in a few more concerns.

1. Recruiting. You've got the 141th ranked recruiting class in football for this year.  This seems fairly consistent since you were 142nd last year, 134th the year before, and 135th the year before that. I imagine that number would improve if you were in an FBS conference, but I'm not sure how much. Fargo is not exactly a choice destination for out of state talent and you don't have much in-state talent.

2. No TV contract value. You're in a tiny TV market and would be unlikely to improve the conference's TV contract value enough to justify an additional mouth to feed. Right now there's a lot of interest in NDSU because of their sustained run at the FCS level. You've been nearly undoubtedly the best FCS school for a while. But would that interest remain if you joined the FBS level and were maybe 6th in the conference for a few years? I doubt it.

3. No guarantee that you would be competitive at the next level. Even good FCS schools lose routinely to FBS level competition. NDSU has done well in the last few years of beating FBS opponents when they have had a chance to play them. I would try and play at least two every year if you can arrange it. That would make this point less of a concern. Alternatively, go to any other FBS level conference and win a title or two, then you'll be much more attractive as a candidate for the MWC.

4. No recruiting benefit to conference mates. I do get that there's some overlap with some of these points, but why add a school in North Dakota when the conference could add someone from California or Texas?

5. Travel costs for non-Football sports. Your website does mention flight time, but flights are expensive. And there are a lot of other sports other than football. (Although if NDSU wanted a football only invite this point would be moot.)

A lot of these aren't really your school's fault, but really the most salient point is that there's no real benefit to the conference to expand right now because there's no NEED to expand. If you were already in the conference and, say, Wyoming, was not and they had the same FCS run that NDSU has had, the conference probably wouldn't invite Wyoming either. 

1. Recruiting rankings are made up and relatively worthless (especially when you get out of the very top schools). Look at Sagarin, Massey rankings, and wins. The proof is the pudding. NDSU builds from within and have an excellent system for doing so. They produce NFL talent and have multiple players choosing NDSU over P5 schools every year

2. They have a 500k local tv contact, which, sure, isn't fantastic but they have a brand that's right up their with any mid-tier MW team. Did you see the Google search chart on the site? 2nd only to Boise State. NDSU is THE TEAM for a decently large area. Minneapolis is a pretty big market for NDSU too. They were able to sell out Target Field playing a nobody in Minneapolis when they played there in 2019. I think it was around 40k-ish seats. They've sustained this for a long time. It's not going anywhere.

3. They could compete with their 63 scholarships right now. So, they sure as heck could compete with 85.

4. The MW goes to NDSU because they have a great brand and would raise the level of play. It would energize the league more than any low level California or Texas school that hardly anyone cares about.

5. It would have to be football only

I get the timing aspect. Seems like things might start to shake up with the entire country so I think it's good to put chips out on the table now.

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

Adding to Jim's points.

There aren't a lot of direct flights to Fargo from most of the MW schools..Your flight times would have to include one or two stops with layovers and in some case a long bus trip from the airport.

The worst part of the MW is the incredibly tough travel..

Are you talking about fans? Because the team is going to charter flight directly to the airport 2 minutes from the stadium.