Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

since1670

WAC Coming Back?

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Perhaps.  But it, like any other conference, still needs 8 full members at minimum to become FBS.

Yeah I believe it would need to find 8 FBS members that would be willing to meet the rest of the requirements.

I really can't think of any reason 4 Southland schools would bother to join the WAC otherwise when the Southland is fine.

3 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Yeah I believe it would need to find 8 FBS members that would be willing to meet the rest of the requirements.

I really can't think of any reason 4 Southland schools would bother to join the WAC otherwise when the Southland is fine.

Yeah I don’t understand it either, but supposedly they don’t like all the new additions to the Southland.

The WAC would still need one more FCS school to get a playoff autobid. 

8 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah I don’t understand it either, but supposedly they don’t like all the new additions to the Southland.

The WAC would still need one more FCS school to get a playoff autobid. 

It could request a waiver for Dixie State or Tarleton State.  And if that fails, then extend an invite to at least one of the California schools (Davis, Cal Poly or Sac State)

Supposedly NAU is off the table.

https://azdailysun.com/sports/local/fully-jumping-to-wac-not-a-consideration-for-nau/article_3de858eb-7d95-5a8d-9af6-a2b0d29e7a4d.html

43 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

It could request a waiver for Dixie State or Tarleton State.  And if that fails, then extend an invite to at least one of the California schools (Davis, Cal Poly or Sac State)

Supposedly NAU is off the table.

https://azdailysun.com/sports/local/fully-jumping-to-wac-not-a-consideration-for-nau/article_3de858eb-7d95-5a8d-9af6-a2b0d29e7a4d.html

If were Sac State, I would be interested. Basketball would be a lateral move, and they are in the WAC for baseball already. And with multiple games in Texas every year for football it could help their recruiting. Davis and Cal Poly probably wouldn’t bite since I doubt they’d want to leave the Big West for the WAC.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If were Sac State, I would be interested. Basketball would be a lateral move, and they are in the WAC for baseball already. And with multiple games in Texas every year for football it could help their recruiting. Davis and Cal Poly probably wouldn’t bite since I doubt they’d want to leave the Big West for the WAC.

Like SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, SJSU, Nevada, Boise, USU and Idaho all did? :ph34r:

https://www.ktre.com/2020/12/17/sfa-board-regents-approves-plans-leave-southland-join-western-athletic-conference/

SFA has been a member of the Southland Conference since 1987. The WAC is currently home to California Baptist, Chicago State, Dixie State, Grand Canyon University, New Mexico State, Seattle University, Tarleton State, UT Rio Grande Valley and Utah State. The move could bring football back to the WAC which has been missing since 2012.

Fellow Southland members Sam Houston State, Lamar and Abilene Christian are also rumored to be joining SFA in the negotiations to move.

and there's this...

All of SFA’s programs except bowling and beach volleyball are offered by the WAC.

how about it @HawaiiMongoose?  Big West adds SFA for beach volleyball?? :D It can use an extra member and one trip to Texas won't hurt the Wahine that much...

Interesting, the Southland is almost like the old WAC-16 that diluted itself by adding too many members.

It will be good to see WAC football survive, even if it's mostly Texas programs. NMSU football could probably become a consistent winner at the FCS level, and they would have a lot more regional programs on the schedule...just sayin.