Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ViAggie

USU FB Team votes not to travel to play CSU

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, edluvar said:

How many head coaches at BYU have been non LDS?   This just got me wondering.   

The answer to your question is 42.

6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I stand corrected.

My quick Google search said he was not and now I can't find that link.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, An Admirer from the East said:

what exactly did this Prez of BYU-Logan campus say?

No one seems to be specifically saying, just allegations it was racist and of a religious nature.  I’ve heard there is no record of the Zoom meeting so it may end up being her word against the players rep and whomever else on both ends of the call. 

I’d guess the president has probably already lawyered up, since her job and career is in jeopardy, and has been advised to say nothing. The lawyers will put out a statement that she was misinterpreted which may or may not be the case. 

It seems like both sides could have gotten together and tried to resolve the issue before the players decided to take their ball and go home. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, An Admirer from the East said:

what exactly did this Prez of BYU-Logan campus say?

purportedly made a disparaging comment about Polynesians

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This was Keegan Duncans doing, self entitled drama queen.

@madmartigan

#KeepBoiseRBsIdahoan #KBRBI

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I doubt there's ever been a non-LDS HC at BYU.  It's a pretty important position with the university.  I'm not sure they'd even interview a non-LDS person for the job.

There hasn't. It's a pre-req to be a member to hold that position there IIRC. I don't think I can recall any non-LDS assistants they've had either. 

53 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

There hasn't. It's a pre-req to be a member to hold that position there IIRC. I don't think I can recall any non-LDS assistants they've had either. 

Not true.  Hal Kopp 1956-1958 was not LDS.  I believe he is the only one who has been HC.  Many think Tommy Hudspeth 1964-1971 wasn’t LDS, but he had joined the LDS Church 3 years prior to getting the BYU gig.  Many, many non-LDS assistants, both past and present.  Roger French, Brian Billick, AJ Seward, Guy Holliday are a few names from the past that come to mind.  Jeff Grimes, Ed Lamb, Eric Mateos on the current staff.  There have been many others. 

On 12/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, Headbutt said:

If you're Blake Anderson, are you reopening your job search.  I would be.

Hell yeah!

Would I want to manage a workforce which went on strike over some comments made by my potential boss that are unknown to the rest of the world? Hell NO, I wouldn't.

How could this not be a forfeit???  The MWC should come down hard on Utah State.   I like the idea of making the Aggies play at CSU the next 3 seasons!  I feel bad for the seniors at CSU!!!!

broncomwc.png

Guest #1Stunner

Statement from Coach Maile

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/frank-maile-calls-for-investigation-into-usu-presidents-comments/amp/

AP20347521232991.0.jpg

"As all college football fans likely know by now, Utah State University’s final game of the season was cancelled yesterday after USU football players chose not to play in protest of something they feel very strongly about: discrimination and bias,” the statement read.

“It is my understanding — from members of the team leadership council who attended a meeting with Utah State President Noelle Cockett and Athletic Director John Hartwell — that I was not ultimately considered for the position of head coach at Utah State (my beloved alma mater) because of concerns that my religion and Pacific Islander culture would negatively impact the University’s future football program. I have twice served as interim head coach and have gone through the interview process but was not notified of a formal hiring decision until after Noelle Cockett and John Hartwell met with the team.

“As disheartened as I am to learn that this kind of religious and cultural bias exists (because I am Polynesian) at Utah State University, I am equally heart-broken for my players – many of whom are seniors who were preparing for the last game of their collegiate experience. I want to express my upmost respect and admiration for their decision to stand up for what they believe in — and I’m truly honored that they would stand up for me.

“As we move forward, it is important to me to protect both the institution and players that I love. My only hope for this painful and unfortunate situation, is that it will be a positive step in our community’s anti-discrimination journey. To accomplish this, Utah State University Trustees should demand a thorough and independent investigation of religious, cultural and racial discrimination throughout the Utah State University.”

And no one can produce a recording or transcript? Good god what a shit show.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.