Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Why Boise is not leaving anytime soon. A breakdown.

2 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

I believe so, as did Purdue, on his list. that the one or two wins a MWC team would get.

The mw had a better record against p5 teams than the aac last year. And this conference has a lot of young coaching talent. If BSU wants to leave to strike up a rivalry with Tulane, that's their prerogative I guess. But I think they might actually benefit from sticking around in this conference. I think there are gonna be some good teams coming out of the MW in the next 3 years. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Averages and percentages not your thing, clearly.  We know the total amount of the TV deal.  It comes out to 7 mil a year on average for each team.  Football only pays out at 70%. That is 4.9 mil.  That is not more than the Boise deal.  By credits I assume you mean NCAA credits?  Boise woule not get any of those.  Any increase in revenue from CFB distribution would be eaten by travel costs and travel subsidies.  

It is a money loser.  And that 12 year deal is atrocious.

I’m familiar with averages and percentages.  4 road trips a year that had to happen anyway is a negligible expense difference to tabulate for the purposes of the discussion.  It costs a little over 100/person extra to fly to Orlando compared to San Diego.  You are overstating the problem.  

As a fb only member you will end up with more than 4.9/year or whatever you said.  Last year the conference paid ucf almost 12 million and most of that came from football performance and  ny6 money/etc. I understand you’re not doing basketball but fb accounts for 80% of our digital revenue stream.  You’re also forgetting the increasing annual pay as well, don’t focus on the first year when long term is the goal.  First year would be a wash anyway with the buyouts-it’s about the future revenue which base will be about triple the mw’s within a few years.  I’m not going to argue the differences between the two but bottom line is that not only will the pay be greater but the bigger value comes in the exposure and better games.  But please tell me how you calculated 70% of 7 million.

5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’m familiar with averages and percentages.  4 road trips a year that had to happen anyway is a negligible expense difference to tabulate for the purposes of the discussion.  It costs a little over 100/person extra to fly to Orlando compared to San Diego.  You are overstating the problem.  

As a fb only member you will end up with more than 4.9/year or whatever you said.  Last year the conference paid ucf almost 12 million and most of that came from football performance and  ny6 money/etc. I understand you’re not doing basketball but fb accounts for 80% of our digital revenue stream.  You’re also forgetting the increasing annual pay as well, don’t focus on the first year when long term is the goal.  First year would be a wash anyway with the buyouts-it’s about the future revenue which base will be about triple the mw’s within a few years.  I’m not going to argue the differences between the two but bottom line is that not only will the pay be greater but the bigger value comes in the exposure and better games.  But please tell me how you calculated 70% of 7 million.

Boise State in the AAC is a non-starter for me, and for a ton of our faithful who like geographic rivalries...

However, if we go indy, I'd like to see us scheduling AAC teams like UH, SMU, UCF, etc., because we like playing in Texas and Florida...

If we could play in Cali, Texas, and Florida each year, then oh hell yeah... 

New-Signature.jpg

9 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I actually don't think anybody is bitter about it, as much as we're tired of them playing the victim and whining about it all. And if they think they'd be better off in the AAC, good for them.

If going to a P5 league, they should spend the money to make the money.

Please God, no...

New-Signature.jpg

9 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Travel subsiedies are not for away games.  Last go around we were on the hook to pay for the cost of travel for every olympic sports team that traveled to Boise.  Follow along.  Your T.V. deal is 7 mil per year.  You are paying Whichita State 30% for olympic/BB.  That stands to reason football only is 70%.  70% of 7 mil is 4.9.  We are expected to make 5.7 mil.  We will lose out on the rolling basketball credits in the MWC, we will not receive any of the rolling credits accumulated to date in the oly conference we join.  

The increased CFP distribution going for #2 G5 to #1G5 won't cover that, not even close.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Travel subsiedies are not for away games.  Last go around we were on the hook to pay for the cost of travel for every olympic sports team that traveled to Boise.  Follow along.  Your T.V. deal is 7 mil per year.  You are paying Whichita State 30% for olympic/BB.  That stands to reason football only is 70%.  70% of 7 mil is 4.9.  We are expected to make 5.7 mil.  We will lose out on the rolling basketball credits in the MWC, we will not receive any of the rolling credits accumulated to date in the oly conference we join.  

The increased CFP distribution going for #2 G5 to #1G5 won't cover that, not even close.

And the AAC deal isnt worth 7 mil until year 6/7.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

26 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That T.V. deal is horrendous.  Much rather be in the MWC with our 5.7 mil until we start to renegotiate in a few years for another substantial increase.

We're going Indy, bro...

It's happening, or this entire town will burn to the ground.

usa_today_13288201.0.jpg

New-Signature.jpg

Dr. Bob would agree with me, given the natural synergies associated with ESPN's interests in BSU/BYU exclusive rights to home games..

You can't play out on the East Coast - that's just stupid...

You cherry pick your schedule from the MW, AAC, PAC, and you reschedule the university of Idaho, yearly.

Do you think any of the following teams wouldn't schedule us every year:

BYU, AF, Fresno, SDSU, Reno, Hawaii..

That's six guaranteed games .  You add in Choo Choo, or any other MW team, and you've got 8 games already...

You don't think we can cherry pick games with the AAC also?  UCF, SMU, Navy, Houston., would all happily schedule us every year. 

Why not play multiple games in CA, TX, and FL??  Because you're stuck playing in the Mountain division?

I sure hope not..

usa_today_10481710.jpg

New-Signature.jpg

Fresno and Boise should play early every year.  It's bad enough that the gaps between the BSU and FSU is sometimes too long and the Milk Can should be played for regardless of divisional makeup. This comes down to HAIR mandating it when scheduling. Even if BSU leaves MW.

3 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Dr. Bob would agree with me, given the natural synergies associated with ESPN's interests in BSU/BYU exclusive rights to home games..

You can't play out on the East Coast - that's just stupid...

You cherry pick your schedule from the MW, AAC, PAC, and you reschedule the university of Idaho, yearly.

Do you think any of the following teams wouldn't schedule us every year:

BYU, AF, Fresno, SDSU, Reno, Hawaii..

That's six guaranteed games .  You add in Choo Choo, or any other MW team, and you've got 8 games already...

You don't think we can cherry pick games with the AAC also?  UCF, SMU, Navy, Houston., would all happily schedule us every year. 

Why not play multiple games in CA, TX, and FL??  Because you're stuck playing in the Mountain division?

I sure hope not..

usa_today_10481710.jpg

I am not sure any of the MW schools would want to play you ooc as long as you are suing them.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The Mountain West has 8 total credits from the last five years (zero in 2020).  One from both 2016 and 2017, four in 2018 and two in 2019.  

The WCC earned 18 credits.  Three in 2016 and 2018, seven in 2017 and five in 2019.

The Big West earned 7 credits.  Two each in 2016, 2017 and 2019.  One in 2018.

The Big Sky and WAC both earned 4.  one credit from 2016-2019

On 12/9/2020 at 10:42 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I will be rooting for you against SJSU, I miss playing the pack every year and would hate missing them during one of their up years.

Hardly an original thought, but it sure would be nice if BSU was put in the same division as some of their traditional rivals. Doesn't make a lot of sense for BSU not to be playing Nevada and Fresno every year. Heck, even Hawaii. 

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

The Mountain West has 8 total credits from the last five years (zero in 2020).  One from both 2016 and 2017, four in 2018 and in two 2019.  

The WCC earned 18 credits.  Three in 2016 and 2018, seven in 2017 and five in 2019.

The Big West earned 7 credits.  Two each in 2016, 2017 and 2019.  One in 2018.

The Big Sky and WAC both earned 4.  one credit from 2016-2019

Yes, but we would not receive any of the money from the credits accumulated thus far in any conference we join.

It's not much but when added to the decrease in T.V. revenue, trave and travel subs, it negates any increase in CFP distribution.  

8 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

You're suppressing the memories of all the beat downs. That's probably healthy. ;)

No I remember all of those..I just don't think very many of those games meant much in the big picture.  2010 is the only one that stands out at all..