Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Benson vs Thompson

I know many of you here are critical of Benson when he was WAC Commissioner, but he has built the Sunbelt into a decent conference that is still on the rise. Thompson left the Sunbelt to form the MWC and has not had the same level of growing success. IMO, Benson was underrated and Thompson over rated.

28 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Better than sports broadcaster for the home team?

Thompson's been making more than $500k per year since 1998.  He lost the three marquee programs of the early 2000s.  Didn't add Boise until it was too late.  Absolute garbage TV contracts.  And still seems to be keeping the university presidents happy somehow.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Thompson's been making more than $500k per year since 1998.  He lost the three marquee programs of the early 2000s.  Didn't add Boise until it was too late.  Absolute garbage TV contracts.  And still seems to be keeping the university presidents happy somehow.

I am not seeing Thompson as having the dictatorial powers you claim he has.  I think he still has a job because the he does exactly what the presidents tell him to do.  As for the tv deal, the MW authorizes a negotiating committee that makes recommendations to..Yes, the presidents, who then vote.

3 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

What has Thompson really done since being commissioner other than lose all his top schools?

He took orders from Kustra pretty well. Tromp needs to remind Hair who wears the pants in this conference. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I am not seeing Thompson as having the dictatorial powers you claim he has.  I think he still has a job because the he does exactly what the presidents tell him to do.  As for the tv deal, the MW authorizes a negotiating committee that makes recommendations to..Yes, the presidents, who then vote.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/preview11/story/_/id/6842482/how-conference-commissioners-became-most-important-men-room

I don't think you understand what the role of a commissionaire is.  Yes, the presidents ultimately have the votes but Thompson does none of what he is supposed to do.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/preview11/story/_/id/6842482/how-conference-commissioners-became-most-important-men-room

I don't think you understand what the role of a commissionaire is.  Yes, the presidents ultimately have the votes but Thompson does none of what he is supposed to do.

What is he supposed to do.? .What exact independent power does he have?..Does he have any veto power over anything?  

Just now, nvspuds said:

What is he supposed to do.? .What exact independent power does he have?..Does he have any veto power over anything?  

Mediate better, negotiate better.  Educate the presidents by being educated himself.  You know, his job.  Don't sabotage the conference like he did with Gonzaga and Wichita State.  Be able to set an agenda.  Like in the conference call that had Harsin furious because no agenda was set!  That is HIS job.