Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Movies people love that are actually horrible.

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

I thought Blade Runner was stupid. Kubrick's The Shining is bad.

But Rutger Hauer and Jack Nicholson were great in those movies despite that.

But all live action musicals are garbage.

And 2001: A Space Oddysey is trash too.

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

25 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Once you watch it - or rather, the arc of the story unfold - through the eyes of Tommy Lee Jones' character, you appreciate its genius.

I get the pushback on the anticlimax. But on rewatch you appreciate it more each time as the movie gets less violent, even though the plot doesn’t. And there’s a solid hour in the second act that is as good as anything ever put on film.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

TBH, it was Daniel Day Lewis that made Gangs of New York so great. His role as The Butcher provides my motivation for whenever I have to duel with@utenation on a smack thread.

1Bwl.gif

My favorite DDL role, not even close.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 minutes ago, red wolf rob said:

Napoleon dynamite 

Crouching tiger hidden dragon 

Thanks for the reminder, not.

That film came out when I was when in high school, and it was all anyone would ever talk about. When I finally got to watch it, holy crap was it bad. Annoyingly so.  I never got how it was supposed to be funny, even in a stupid/quirky way. That's 90 minutes I'll never get back.:frustrated:

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Now, as much as Ioved the LOTR and all Tolkien works, The Hobbit trilogy was bad.  It was just a money grab.  Should have been one maaaybe two movies.  Too much made for Hollywood filler.  The dwarf-elf love interest.  Too much random orc killing.  

Yea, but they included radghast the brown in the ho bit movies. That was cool at least.

Btw, are you excited about the LOTR amazon show? I've read very little on it. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Underrated movie ... My Left Foot. 

Still havent seen it. One day itll be on HBO or something and I'll watch it. 

Not terrible movie, but I still wonder if Lost in Translation is a shitty script with a great Bill Murray performance and a fine soundtrack.