Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada @ SJSU (LV) in Sam Boyd

9 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Go Spartans 

You’re dead to me.  Dead. :P 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

You’re dead to me.  Dead. :P 

Oh come on. The Spartans winning the MWC would be the most 2020 thing ever. A for real no shit sign the apocalypse is upon us. 

I get your partisanship here, I'd probably feel the same way as a UNR fan, but as someone with no dog in the fight (Thanks Vigen), I have to root for bizarre things to happen. SJSU winning the conference would be the most bizarre thing of the whole year IMO. 

Sam Boyd Stadium appears to have nine lives.

What were the pre Covid plans for it ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

8 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Oh come on. The Spartans winning the MWC would be the most 2020 thing ever. A for real no shit sign the apocalypse is upon us. 

I get your partisanship here, I'd probably feel the same way as a UNR fan, but as someone with no dog in the fight (Thanks Vigen), I have to root for bizarre things to happen. SJSU winning the conference would be the most bizarre thing of the whole year IMO. 

Oh I agree. It would be the most 2020 thing ever. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

8 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Do you have a proposition? (besides a Final Solution to the Inch Count Question, of course)

This is a good question that I don’t have a great idea yet. A simple sig bet doesn’t work, because I don’t there is enough hatred between the two schools to make it embarrassing enough. Plus, I still have PTSD from @renoskier’s yearlong red Fremont Cannon sig.

We’ll think of something.

Nevada pass game - Great, Nevada defensive line - Great, but I don't think that's enough to overcome the lack of a run game, issues in the secondary and the maddening penalties in this game.

Pack will need to play a pretty clean game to win. Obviously they've been finding a way to win even with all the mistakes, but I don't think they get away with it vs the Spartans.

San Jose St looks well coached in every phase of the game. What's weakness do you see Spartan fan?

Big money vultures are circling Spartan Stadium looking to poach a coach, I can see them from my porch in the hills above Mackay Stadium. Which I hate.

2 minutes ago, BlueCheer said:

Nevada pass game - Great, Nevada defensive line - Great, but I don't think that's enough to overcome the lack of a run game, issues in the secondary and the maddening penalties in this game.

Pack will need to play a pretty clean game to win. Obviously they've been finding a way to win even with all the mistakes, but I don't think they get away with it vs the Spartans.

San Jose St looks well coached in every phase of the game. What's weakness do you see Spartan fan?

Big money vultures are circling Spartan Stadium looking to poach a coach, I can see them from my porch in the hills above Mackay Stadium. Which I hate.

Our running game and secondary have been our weaknesses. They obviously improved in Hawaii, but we'll see how it goes in LV. The game plan on d will be leaning on the pass rush which has been pretty good and just stuffing the run, which is a big strengh...  (can't remember the last time that was true for this team)

I'd be afraid of a shootout as a spartan fan. There was a lot of rust on that passing game saturday, and i dunno if the time in Vegas this week will shake it off. Starkel throws a few pickable balls every week and this d does give up big plays through the air on occasion. 

Itll be a good game, I think. 

As for coach, i honestly think the coach poach wont be in play until after next season. Leaving this team in the midst of a pandemic after working so hard to keep things together with all this chaos would be a punch in the gut. The money will be there next year. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

This is a good question that I don’t have a great idea yet. A simple sig bet doesn’t work, because I don’t there is enough hatred between the two schools to make it embarrassing enough. Plus, I still have PTSD from @renoskier’s yearlong red Fremont Cannon sig.

I mean, Nevada having our number for the past 2 decades aside... when's the last time the two teams played a game that mattered to both at the same time? Even in that awful stretch in the 90s and early 2000s against Fresno, our fans still hated the Dogs and desperately wanted to beat them. With Nevada, it's just kind of been resignation that we're gonna find a way to lose.

This year feels different. Though I think we've been saying that for years. And the year in recent memory it was different, our coach rightfully got fired. So who knows.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

If @Rebelbacker ever shows up again and faces his loss, he's being a pussy in his absence, I think we'll both sport blue cannons until Inauguration Day.  :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, BlueCheer said:

The only glaring weakness in SJSU's game this year has been in punting and kickoff depth.  Guy responsible for both has a bit of a noodle leg.

Other than that, SJSU has been pretty solid...with one exception - base defense D-line penetration.  We're good on closing out the gaps in the between-the-tackles run game, but base penetration to the QB has been an issue.  Example of this was seen on Saturday, when we got out 21-0 on UH and the 'Bows were forced into an almost all-pass offense.  Cordeiro was able to move the pocket vertically as well as horizontally, and thus have adequate time to pick apart our D in the 2nd quarter.  Adjustments were made at recess, but we did not get a sack on him until the 4th quarter, and there were (I believe) only 5 or 6 total TFL for the game.  Granted, after getting up to that big a lead so quickly, it's natural to go into a base nickel D, but that isn't our game.  If Sparty isn't getting after the QB or getting TFL's on the other guy's RBs, there's an issue for the other team to exploit.

Look for SJSU to try to grind the clock a bit with the short passing game to get away from the UNR D-line.  The success with the run game we had out on the Rock will NOT translate to this upcoming game. 

One other thing - I'm just glad that this game is being played down at the Silver Bowl instead of up at Mackay.  That place has some kind of weird Native American artifact or something buried underneath it that just renders our teams stoopid.

12 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Hawaiian Airlines has been doing a lot of charters this season. I saw an A330 the Raiders chartered at Atlanta Airport last weekend. 

Raiders have been on Hawaiian Charters all season 

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Raiders have been on Hawaiian Charters all season 

I think they've chartered with them for years, honestly. I seem to remember when they used to charter those chrome Hawaiian DC-10s way back when. Looking at charters though, they've been doing brisk business outside of the Raiders charters as well it seems. 

6 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Our running game and secondary have been our weaknesses. They obviously improved in Hawaii, but we'll see how it goes in LV. The game plan on d will be leaning on the pass rush which has been pretty good and just stuffing the run, which is a big strengh...  (can't remember the last time that was true for this team)

I'd be afraid of a shootout as a spartan fan. There was a lot of rust on that passing game saturday, and i dunno if the time in Vegas this week will shake it off. Starkel throws a few pickable balls every week and this d does give up big plays through the air on occasion. 

Itll be a good game, I think. 

As for coach, i honestly think the coach poach wont be in play until after next season. Leaving this team in the midst of a pandemic after working so hard to keep things together with all this chaos would be a punch in the gut. The money will be there next year. 

Sounds like we're similar, run game and secondary problems. We might have a possible shoot out here that really comes down to who makes the fewest mistakes. We lose in the critical mistakes dept.

I hope it's an instant classic

11 minutes ago, idkk said:

I've been pretty happy with the way the teams in the conference have been flexible and helped each other out to the extent that they could so that these kids could play some football this year.

16 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

To be clear, Nevada winning a football championship is almost as rare. They shared a title in 2010 but that's it.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

So, I was just watching Norvell's presser and they touched on the cancelled game issue. I don't know if was just me, but it seemed like he might have called us out (and BYU, I guess for the UW shenanigans) for not finding a replacement game the week of the Fresno cancellation. He mentioned that if they would have had a cancellation and they had the opportunity to play "someone like Stanford", they would have. The Stanford reference seems oddly specific.

It's around the 9 minute mark.