Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSF

Knight Commission endorses FBS breakaway

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30444422/knight-commission-endorses-fbs-split-ncaa

A commission of college athletics leaders recommended Thursday that the best way to repair the NCAA's "broken governance model" is to remove the teams of the Football Bowl Subdivision from the association, forcing the top level of college football to govern itself as a separate entity.

The Knight Commission, a reform-minded independent group of university presidents, former athletic directors and others, spent the past year studying the current state of college sports before making its recommendation.

After surveying a wide swath of college sports stakeholders, the group said it discovered that many leaders in the industry believe the time has come for significant change. It decided that the most effective way to solve a variety of problems is to separate football -- an outlier of a sport because of the vast and quickly increasing difference in the revenue it generates.

"Every other sport looks like a duck and walks like a duck and probably is a duck," Knight Commission co-chair Arne Duncan told ESPN. "That one [football] looks like a pterodactyl. It's not like the others, and it's had a wildly disproportionate impact on everything else. It doesn't make sense."

The commission does not have any authority to enact change in college sports, but its leaders hope Thursday's recommendation will serve as "an essential first step" in what they see as a needed overhaul of how college sports are governed.

The group met with NCAA president Mark Emmert on Thursday morning to present its recommendation. It also plans to present its finding to other members of the NCAA for further discussion in the near future.

Its proposal to separate FBS football from the NCAA would leave those big-time football programs in charge of creating a new entity that would develop and enforce rules, determine eligibility requirements, set health and safety standards, and organize a national championship.

The NCAA currently provides all those services for college football except for organizing a championship. The NCAA organizes championships for most sports, but college football's postseason -- and the significant money that it generates -- is controlled by a separate entity called the College Football Playoff.

Under this proposed plan, all other sports at those FBS schools would remain under the NCAA's governance system. That includes college basketball and its March Madness tournament, which remains the largest revenue source for the NCAA.

Lower levels of football would also remain under the NCAA's purview.

Duncan said the group also considered the idea of creating a new division just for schools in the Power 5 conferences, which operate on much larger budgets than most of their peers thanks in large part to money generated from media rights deals and their own television networks. The last split of that magnitude occurred nearly 50 years ago when the NCAA divided its schools into three divisions in 1973.

Ultimately, the Knight Commission decided that the gap between an FBS-level football program and the non-revenue sports on that same campus was wider and the source of more problems than the gap between, for example, the softball team at a Power 5 school and the football team at a school from a smaller conference.

The Knight Commission also made several other recommendations for all of college sports -- the NCAA and its proposed National College Football Association (NCFA) -- to reform its current model. They include holding university presidents accountable for controlling their athletic departments, making sure revenue is distributed in a way that promotes the schools' educational mission and a continued prohibition on allowing players to be paid.

Duncan, who played basketball at Harvard before serving as the Obama administration's secretary of education, said a shake-up of the NCAA's current model is long overdue. He said he believes that outside pressure stemming largely from recent court cases and legislative interest in the ongoing name, image and likeness debate have added a sense of urgency to make major changes.

"Change is coming," he said. "Whether that's at the state level or federal level, change is coming to college athletics. It's absolutely in the NCAA's interest to control their own fate and to lead. I don't want to say this is their last opportunity to do that, but I will say they are running out of time."

Duncan and the Knight Commission say the plan they laid out to the NCAA provides the best path for the association to make needed changes while also keeping control of its future.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

It's probably inevitable, though not as clear cut as people think. It won't just be the P5 splitting off, it will be the P5 shedding teams, then splitting off. Football programs like Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Wazzou, Oregon State, Kansas, Wake Forest, etc. will all be looking for new homes. A few G5 programs and indies MIGHT get snagged by the breakaways, but the programs shed will outnumber the ones absorbed.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

And if Boise was included you’d be all in. That’s how this works. 

Not really. I wouldn’t be sad to see Boise State go P5, but I’d still want G5 teams to have a fair shot at the playoffs per the post by King Spartan above. It would be more exciting and make more money for everyone. 

Let's say they follow through with the split. Would you watch/follow the 1%ers or would you only care about the level of college ball your school played in? Personally, I would only care about about the 99%ers. They say they're fixing college football, but I think they'd be killing it. If I were the NCAA I'd say you can split, but don't ask for a home with your other sports.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

FBS = P5 only. G5's have to merge come together to form our own Championship level. Structure our playoffs like Div2 currently does. It's the only way G5 schools can survive. The days of high $$ body bag games will be at an end soon. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

I really only watch and follow the MWC.   ZERO shits given about which Alabama school gets to curb stomp Ohio State at the end of the year

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Since Utah became the 9th AAU school in the Pac-12, that means the votes are there to expel members from the Pac-12 if the bylaws say there must be a 75% vote to expel schools.  That means WSU, Oregon State, and ASU could be in jeopardy.  There has been rumors of both AZ schools going to the Big 12 and now I think it's most likely ASU that goes to the Big 12 if that has to happen.  Don't underestimate the development of Utah becoming that 9th AAU school in the Pac-12 and academic research snobbery of that conference.  The Pac-12 wants to be like the Big Ten which had an all AAU membership until Nebraska was booted out and they are at a point right now where they can make those necessary changes.  WSU was so deep in the red when it came to the AD that the state had to get involved and Oregon State had difficulties finishing some athletic capital projects very recently so their futures as P5 schools are suspect.  They could be pretty strong G5 programs.  Those two with Boise State could form the core of a strong west coast G5 conference.  That means WYO, CSU, AFA, and UNM might have to look for a new conference home with some Texas schools or go independent for sometime.

Isn't the WAC still around?  Or could there be a second G5 conference out west?  In the past, I always thought that Kansas State was a Big 12 school that could "move down" but they have moved up the research rankings so I don't see any Big 12 school being in danger of being bumped out...maybe West Virginia for geographical reasons.  Some of the AAC schools are even ranked higher than WVU and given the uncertain future of coal in general, they might have no choice in this matter.

4 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

It's probably inevitable, though not as clear cut as people think. It won't just be the P5 splitting off, it will be the P5 shedding teams, then splitting off. Football programs like Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Wazzou, Oregon State, Kansas, Wake Forest, etc. will all be looking for new homes. A few G5 programs and indies MIGHT get snagged by the breakaways, but the programs shed will outnumber the ones absorbed.

That’s pretty much how I took it. It wouldn’t be a P5 split, just an elite P5 split. It’s possible this could be a big $ help to higher performing G5’s, but majorly suck for the P5’s left behind. Ask Cindy and South Florida how that feels being left behind and no longer getting BCS/P5 quality money. 

kat.jpg

If such a breakup occurs, it needs to involve all of FBS, not just the P5. As much as I would like Boise State to be a part of it, it would not mean as much for them to be a part of it without having at least a partner, like what they had with SDSU with their Big East moves from a while back. This needs to include the MW or the situation of the MW athletic departments will only get worse.

18 hours ago, RSF said:

A commission of college athletics leaders recommended Thursday that the best way to repair the NCAA's "broken governance model" is to remove the teams of the Football Bowl Subdivision from the association, forcing the top level of college football to govern itself as a separate entity.

Duncan said the group also considered the idea of creating a new division just for schools in the Power 5 conferences, which operate on much larger budgets than most of their peers thanks in large part to money generated from media rights deals and their own television networks.

Ultimately, the Knight Commission decided that the gap between an FBS-level football program and the non-revenue sports on that same campus was wider and the source of more problems than the gap between, for example, the softball team at a Power 5 school and the football team at a school from a smaller conference.

The Knight Commission also made several other recommendations for all of college sports -- the NCAA and its proposed National College Football Association (NCFA) -- to reform its current model. They include holding university presidents accountable for controlling their athletic departments, making sure revenue is distributed in a way that promotes the schools' educational mission and a continued prohibition on allowing players to be paid.

The recommendation is to remove all of FBS not just P5.  Also making sure players don't get paid.

12 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I really only watch and follow the MWC.   ZERO shits given about which Alabama school gets to curb stomp Ohio State at the end of the year

I’ve found myself watching less a lot less P5 games. I’ll watch G5 teams play the P5 teams and watch some PAC-12 games, but rarely watch the P5 teams other than the PAC-12. 

It wouldn’t bother me to see the G5 teams form their own division. I thought the Boise State 1-AA days in the Big Sky and the playoffs to determine a NC were  entertaining without the politics of the FBS.