Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Why can’t UNLV hire a coach

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

but it really made UNLV look bush league :rotflmfao:

and we all enjoyed that

I don't remember feeling "Bush league" during that debacle.  I just recall enjoying the shit show that occurs every time vegas has to hire a new coach.  

Do you remember when Thad Matta was coming to vegas?  Because of all of our Rebel fans with 'sources,' everyone knew about it except Thad.  He was shocked to learn he (or his sister) owned a house in vegas and he loved the area.   :lol:

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I don't remember feeling "Bush league" during that debacle.  I just recall enjoying the shit show that occurs every time vegas has to hire a new coach.  

Do you remember when Thad Matta was coming to vegas?  Because of all of our Rebel fans with 'sources,' everyone knew about it except Thad.  He was shocked to learn he (or his sister) owned a house in vegas and he loved the area.   :lol:

"Yeah, can you believe UNLV passed on me for freaking Thad Matta?"

--Rick Pitino--

1 hour ago, wolfan8431 said:

Reading your posts it's surprising how powerful the North is with only a 1/4 of your population.

I love the adulation, but let’s be honest. The north isn’t that cunning. The south is literally that stupid. 

On 2/1/2021 at 1:51 PM, ph90702 said:

TJ Otzelberger overachieved in year one.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. The team got hot in a historically bad mwc. 

The returning roster would have won the conference outright. Totz got rid of too many good players and brought in worse players. That is a part of year one and he did not overachieve there either.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, ph90702 said:

Devin Tillis did a really good job manipulating the defense to get the passing looks he wanted.

UNLV is still a year away.  We need a grad transfer PG who can consistently penetrate, a physical C, and a multi positional defender (can be Kaluma), and it’s a completely different team.

If any bad team replaces 60% of there starters with good players they become better. Come on ph. You are one of the most intelligent reb high posters here. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

I havent read all the posts on all 11 pages here so sorry if i repeat anything already posted. 

TJO was not DFR's first, second or third choice and most the boosters did not want him, they wanted Pitino but DRF never considered Pitino.  Which is one major reason she had to hire TJO without using booster money, because some of the big boosters pulled their money since she wouldn't consider Pitino.  Rather he would of came or not I have no idea but she never gave him a shot at the position.  There are a handful of coaches I would have rather seen hired instead of TJO but doesnt matter we are have him for at least the next two years rather you like him or hate him.  I think his biggest problem is he is not recruiting for the style he wants to play.  He wants to play like Villinova but his players are not quick enough or smart enough to do so.  He doesnt think we need a big man which means we will probably be picked apart underneath.  Live and die by the three a philosophy I have never liked.

As for UNR I think Alford will do great for them there.  He will keep them in the upper half of the MWC with a good run and chance to win the MWC every so often.  I know many people who wanted Alford at UNLV instead of TJO, I for one am very happy he is not at UNLV.  Not because of his coaching abilities but because I hate the guy always have and think he is the biggest whinning baby there is when it comes to coaching but with that said he is a good coach who will do very well for UNR.

As a hole I think the MWC has upgraded their coaches.  Even TJO if you compare him to Menzies, he is an upgrade.  Maybe not much of an upgrade over any other coach UNLV has had but deffinately better than MM.  I would put TJO close to Coach Spoonhour charles or Jay take your pick. 

SDSU, BSU, CSU, Utah St, Wyoming, Air Force, UNR have all got good coaches that will improve their teams.

UNM and Fresno probably need to start coaching searches

SJST who knows hard to tell when you are coaching a dumpster fire already that doesnt have much of a chance to get any better.

UNLV sort of wait and see.  Next year will tell me allot about his coaching abilities.

19 hours ago, qwelish said:

I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. The team got hot in a historically bad mwc. 

The returning roster would have won the conference outright. Totz got rid of too many good players and brought in worse players. That is a part of year one and he did not overachieve there either.

LMAO, you think the returning roster from 2018 would have won the MWC in 2019?

You are insane.  Absolutely insane.  

5 hours ago, Shaker said:

I havent read all the posts on all 11 pages here so sorry if i repeat anything already posted. 

TJO was not DFR's first, second or third choice and most the boosters did not want him, they wanted Pitino but DRF never considered Pitino.  Which is one major reason she had to hire TJO without using booster money, because some of the big boosters pulled their money since she wouldn't consider Pitino.  Rather he would of came or not I have no idea but she never gave him a shot at the position.  There are a handful of coaches I would have rather seen hired instead of TJO but doesnt matter we are have him for at least the next two years rather you like him or hate him.  I think his biggest problem is he is not recruiting for the style he wants to play.  He wants to play like Villinova but his players are not quick enough or smart enough to do so.  He doesnt think we need a big man which means we will probably be picked apart underneath.  Live and die by the three a philosophy I have never liked.

As for UNR I think Alford will do great for them there.  He will keep them in the upper half of the MWC with a good run and chance to win the MWC every so often.  I know many people who wanted Alford at UNLV instead of TJO, I for one am very happy he is not at UNLV.  Not because of his coaching abilities but because I hate the guy always have and think he is the biggest whinning baby there is when it comes to coaching but with that said he is a good coach who will do very well for UNR.

As a hole I think the MWC has upgraded their coaches.  Even TJO if you compare him to Menzies, he is an upgrade.  Maybe not much of an upgrade over any other coach UNLV has had but deffinately better than MM.  I would put TJO close to Coach Spoonhour charles or Jay take your pick. 

SDSU, BSU, CSU, Utah St, Wyoming, Air Force, UNR have all got good coaches that will improve their teams.

UNM and Fresno probably need to start coaching searches

SJST who knows hard to tell when you are coaching a dumpster fire already that doesnt have much of a chance to get any better.

UNLV sort of wait and see.  Next year will tell me allot about his coaching abilities.

Who were her top three choices?

And I disagree about wanting to play like Villanova because they play at one of the slowest tempos in the country.  Otzelberger would like to play faster.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

And I disagree about wanting to play like Villanova because they play at one of the slowest tempos in the country.  Otzelberger would like to play faster.

They don't play all that slow. Most of their games are in the 80's. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

20 hours ago, Shaker said:

He's a better coach than MM but you have to wait to see a lot about his coaching abilities. Come on man, you have to admit that's laughable. You have to at least admit he could recruit, considering what TJ has brought in and what MM guys are doing here and elsewhere.  

UNLV wins the MWC last year and this year if drf just leaves it alone. She hired a better coach though, so, yeah.

15 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Off the top of my head Rhoades of VCU and Oates when he was still at Buffalo.  

12 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

She also tried to get that guy from Loyola Chicago after their fluke Final Four, which IMO would have been a Butt hire.

Thats correct.  I also heard she reached out to former Kentucky assistant Kenny Payne.  Wasn't quite Weaver's awful search back in 92 but up there with some other bad searches over UNLV's history.  

1 hour ago, Ernie Baer said:

Off the top of my head Rhoades of VCU and Oates when he was still at Buffalo.  

Nate Oates was my number one choice, but I knew that UNLV had no chance when a school like Alabama gets involved.  Otzelberger was #2 or #3 on my list.