Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Why can’t UNLV hire a coach

4 hours ago, Slapdad said:

There's a big difference between a college being in an overlapping media market and being the only game in town. Texas A&M and Texas both are overlapped by the Houston, San Antonio and Austin media markets, but both are also the only game in town. UH and Rice are afterthoughts in the Houston market and UTSA and Texas State are afterthoughts in SA and Austin, but UT and aTm are the truly the only games in town. 

There's a reason they're the only game in town after all these years. Same goes for most of the NFL.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

True, the thing is the demos are different, at least here. Raiders games are 10x the cost of attending a UNLV game. The usual UNLV fb crowd is pretty blue collar, while the BBall crowd definitely skews more upper middle class. So I'm not sure there will be a ton of Rebel fb fans dumping UNLV for the Raiders.  I just don't see a ton of mix.  I 'd venture to guess VGK and the Raiders are hurting UNLV bball more.

The real test is going to be when/if UNLV bball is nationally relevant again. If UNLV is playing and beating top 25 teams in the non-con, and is ranked, and expected to be in the NCAA's, then we'll see how much damage has been done.

toonkee... bud... ya gotta have a ton of Rebel fb fans before you can wonder whether a ton will drop them.

The one thing people don't take into account is a UNLV football season ticket holder is rare. Like Bigfoot rare. I have been one for 30 years and in that time, it seems like its mostly the same few people. Sure you will get surges during interesting games from the single ticket crowd, but the core season ticket holder crowd is what 6k? 5k?

So the doom and gloomers don't take into account that it literally can't get worse. UNLV football never paid the bills. Hoops and out of Athletics revenue (i.e. non UNLV sports facility revenue) is what the budget was built on. And the budget was pretty slim until DRF opened the purse strings. And it will work until the Allegiant slush fund money dries up.

So is UNLV football going to lose the same 6K or 5K fans that have been going for decades because the Raiders are here? No. The issue is not losing fans, but growth potential and booster support potential (probably the biggest issue). As toonkee notes, though it has been a different demographic historically. What will change things is if the diehards and (dwindling) potential new fans get priced out of the shiny new stadium. The boosters and fans who are already UNLV supporters are not going to go away because of the Raiders. They would only go away if they get priced out of the stadium. 

56 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

There are some major reaches in here; geographically, historically and the definition of "success".

Louisville is over 300 miles from Memphis and Kentucky won it's first Natty more than 50 years before the Vancouver Grizzlies ever showed up.

ASU is a basketball wasteland

If you told someone from Tuscon that they are the same market as Phoenix, they'd cut you.

Seton Hall and Saint Johns had a minute  of success in a long history of mediocrity and anonymity.  Nobody in the Big Apple gives a crap about either program.

I'm being as generous as possible in overlapping markets and the relative success within them.

As for Tucson, are you trying to say most NFL fans there are fans of teams NOT named the Arizona Cardinals?

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

I'm being as generous as possible in overlapping markets and the relative success within them.

As for Tucson, are you trying to say most NFL fans there are fans of teams NOT named the Arizona Cardinals?

Could very well be. It's a decent transplant market like many sunbelt areas.

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Could very well be. It's a decent transplant market like many sunbelt areas.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Cardinals merch outsells any other NFL team in that market. Second best is probably Dallas, then Houston.

11 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree that Dave Rice was fired way too early.

He was a good recruiter.   He didn't even get an opportunity to change up his assistants before he was fired.

Head coaching record[edit]

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
UNLV Runnin' Rebels (Mountain West Conference) (2011–2016)
2011–12 UNLV 26–9 9–5 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2012–13 UNLV 25–10 10–6 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2013–14 UNLV 20–13 10–8 T–3rd  
2014–15 UNLV 18–15 8–10 7th  
2015–16 UNLV 9–7* 0–3*    
UNLV: 98–54 (.645) 37–32 (.536)

*resigned on January 10, 2016

Total: 98–54 (.645)  

Rice didn't get fired. It says right there that he quit.

20 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Vegas fans don't want Tark. The Raiders and Golden Knights are the bigger acts in town. The need for a dominant UNLV team is no longer there. They just want a competitive squad 

Without question. They'll never be that ever again. They are much closer to being SJSU than they are from being 1991 UNLV

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Arizona is lousy with Cowboys fans but I was specifically referencing the basketball part of your post. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

toonkee... bud... ya gotta have a ton of Rebel fb fans before you can wonder whether a ton will drop them.

The one thing people don't take into account is a UNLV football season ticket holder is rare. Like Bigfoot rare. I have been one for 30 years and in that time, it seems like its mostly the same few people. Sure you will get surges during interesting games from the single ticket crowd, but the core season ticket holder crowd is what 6k? 5k?

So the doom and gloomers don't take into account that it literally can't get worse. UNLV football never paid the bills. Hoops and out of Athletics revenue (i.e. non UNLV sports facility revenue) is what the budget was built on. And the budget was pretty slim until DRF opened the purse strings. And it will work until the Allegiant slush fund money dries up.

So is UNLV football going to lose the same 6K or 5K fans that have been going for decades because the Raiders are here? No. The issue is not losing fans, but growth potential and booster support potential (probably the biggest issue). As toonkee notes, though it has been a different demographic historically. What will change things is if the diehards and (dwindling) potential new fans get priced out of the shiny new stadium. The boosters and fans who are already UNLV supporters are not going to go away because of the Raiders. They would only go away if they get priced out of the stadium. 

This is spot on.  There is zero chance to win football games.  Zero.  Why unlv doesn't spend big on hoops right now blows my mind.  They could be a top 25 team.  Instead they struggle with big sky teams.  I see why folks are frustrated. Decision making is so bad.  It is almost funny to watch

The current coach and staff, as much as fans and media want to embellish their resumes, are new on the job and have mediocre backgrounds. I hate to say that because I know a couple of the guys on the staff personally.

Buckley was fired with Crean and then ended up as a scout for the twolves. The twolves are perennial losers. The asst from utah left that program with just a hair over a .500 win %. TJ also does not have real experience building a program or maintaining one for any length of time. He was handed a winner much like Rice was. 

UNLV can hire a coach. Its the ath dir's with their own agendas that always try to get cute and pass over the clear and obvious best choice, to put in their guy. 

On 12/2/2020 at 8:44 PM, 4UNLV said:

I think we'll steal your AD.. his wife wants to come back here anyway, I'm gonna talk to her brother tomorrow and have him tell her it's time.

But you can keep Alford..:D

Knuth isn't exactly highly regarded.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

On 12/4/2020 at 4:42 AM, qwelish said:

The current coach and staff, as much as fans and media want to embellish their resumes, are new on the job and have mediocre backgrounds. I hate to say that because I know a couple of the guys on the staff personally.

Buckley was fired with Crean and then ended up as a scout for the twolves. The twolves are perennial losers. The asst from utah left that program with just a hair over a .500 win %. TJ also does not have real experience building a program or maintaining one for any length of time. He was handed a winner much like Rice was. 

UNLV can hire a coach. Its the ath dir's with their own agendas that always try to get cute and pass over the clear and obvious best choice, to put in their guy. 

It amazes me that unlv struggles to play .500 basketball in the MW.   

You are spot on.  Just hire a coach.  A real coach.  A proven winner.   Pay the money and Unlv could be a top 3 MW team year in and year out.  

Football costs are killing your basketball program.

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

He's not?

He is in my opinion.

He is not by many of the alumni.  I was shocked when I first started talking to people about it.  In general, it's been older people that are substantial donors.

31 minutes ago, packNV said:

For the record, I like him and think he's good for the university.

I like him too.  But our oly sports are abysmal.  If you're well liked, the kids stay out of trouble & mostly graduate you can spend your career coaching at Nevada regardless of your record.  That is, as long as you're not always in the basement. 

To be fair budget probably has a lot to do with it.