Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

The 761st Tank Battalion.

I used the PBS video of “Liberators:  Fighting on Two Fronts in WWII” for years teaching WWII. It mostly followed the 761st and a member of the 183rd Combat Engineers (involved the rescue of the 101st Airborne at Bastogne).  Great stories even if the Buchenwald part, among others?, had factual issues.  Two important themes of WWII.  

3 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

I used the PBS video of “Liberators:  Fighting on Two Fronts in WWII” for years teaching WWII. It mostly followed the 761st and a member of the 183rd Combat Engineers (involved the rescue of the 101st Airborne at Bastogne).  Great stories even if the Buchenwald part, among others?, had factual issues.  Two important themes of WWII.  

I am embarassed this is new to me.  Or at least to my memory.  I vaguely remember about reading about them at Boise State.

14 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am embarassed this is new to me.  Or at least to my memory.  I vaguely remember about reading about them at Boise State.

No need to be embarrassed.  I learned new things about the Great Depression, WWII, the Civil Right Movement, the Cold War, and more every year — still do.  It’s not infinity, but the study of huge historical events and eras has that feel. 

1 minute ago, grandjean87 said:

No need to be embarrassed.  I learned new things about the Great Depression, WWII, the Civil Right Movement, the Cold War, and more every year — still do.  It’s not infinity, but the study of huge historical events and eras has that feel. 

Same.  Thirst for knowledge and just digging learning will do that.

Reading about the Sassanid empire right now, really fascinating.

9 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

What?

:)

I have recently found my self fascinated with the complexities of Islamic culture, the intricacies of the divides that exist in the Middle East, Near Asia and swaths of Africa.  Decided to start at the begining in hopes of maybe having something of an educated opinion.  It is just a fun way to pass time.  

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I have recently found my self fascinated with the complexities of Islamic culture, the intricacies of the divides that exist in the Middle East, Near Asia and swaths of Africa.  Decided to start at the begining in hopes of maybe having something of an educated opinion.  It is just a fun way to pass time.  

That empire is pre-Islamic?