Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Scrumptious Little Bunnies

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

What isn’t?

One of My Israeli customer was often curious just what they were missing out on regarding bacon.  I always told him, a lot.  His partner who occasionally broke kosher, agreed.

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

One of My Israeli customer was often curious just what they were missing out on regarding bacon.  I always told him, a lot.  His partner who occasionally broke kosher, agreed.

When I was a kid there was a special tin on the stove top. It’s where the bacon fat went to use for other frying. Guess it’s a sign of my age and that I’m pretty much from white trash...

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

48 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

What isn’t?

When I was studying primitive and cold weather survival one of the things imprinted on me was not having relience on certain foods.  Rabbit was the primary example for protein sources.  Easy to get so it becomes tempting to build a strategy around it.  However hares and rabbits have so little fat you can eat them all day and wither.  Man needs fat.  Chicken and beef are high in fat and as such have become dietary staples.  Maybe we could create a fat and tastey rabbit?  Until that point it simply will not be a dietary staple for most.

Damn good when cooked in bacon fat though.

Do bunnies have personality?

Personality goes a long way.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

When I was studying primitive and cold weather survival one of the things imprinted on me was not having relience on ceetain foods.  Rabbit was the primary example for protein sources.  Easy to get so it becomes tempting to build a strategy arouns it.  However haires and rabbits have so little fat you can eat them all day and wither.  Man needs fat.  Chicken and beef are high in fat and as such have become dietary staples.  Maybe we could create a fat and tastey rabbit?  Until that point it simply will not be a dietary staple for most.

Damn good when cooked in bacon fat though.

I don’t know if you’ve watched that show Alone. It’s pretty good. I watched the most recent season where they left people alone in Canada above the Arctic circle on the shore of a big lake in winter. The people could only bring 10 things with them, so you had to put thought into your food source. A number of folks relied on shooting (bows) or snaring rabbits and squirrels. Most of them were really good at it, but fat was their problem. They were eating a lot but still losing weight. The people that set out with fish as their staple or adapted fared better.  The eventual winner killed a moose with his bow. He made a cache of the fat but it was swiped by a wolverine. They came and weighed the contestants once a week and he was becoming borderline. That’s how most of the folks got sent home. He adapted by weaving a big fishnet out of paracord and setting it under the lake ice. Lasted 50 days iirc. 

51 minutes ago, RSF said:

Do bunnies have personality?

Personality goes a long way.

The rabbit I had when I was a kid had a personality. I think that's because I let it hop around the house and yard everyday.

34 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I don’t know if you’ve watched that show Alone. It’s pretty good. I watched the most recent season where they left people alone in Canada above the Arctic circle on the shore of a big lake. The people could only bring 10 things with them, so you had to put thought into your food source. A number of folks relied on shooting (bows) or snaring rabbits and squirrels. Most of them were really good at it, but fat was their problem. They were eating a lot but still losing weight. The people that set out with fish as their staple fared better.  

I watched the first few seasons but have since cut the cord and not seen the last few.  IIRC nobody in those seasons had much luck with snares outside of some squirrel.   

The thing is, if you starving, kill anything you can.  If you are not, be mindful.  Killing big game alone when it is warm is a hastle.  So easy to rot, attracts unwelcome animals.  In the winter it is a lot easier.  Storage is key.  Smoke everything you can not eat.  Find somewhere high like a leopard does to keep it.  Rabbit is a good food.  Ungulates are good food.  Fish is great food.  Smart use of resources is key.  Fish move.  Rabbits are a resource you can drain.  Deer and elk have some nice fat but the majority of the meat is very lean and if you think you are ok because you have 50 pounds of meet left, but none of it has fat, you can go down hill quick due to a false sense of security.

There is also interesting research on the domestication of the dog. How hunter gatherers hunting in excess to obtain fat meant that scarp piles were common and atttacted wolves.  With a smaller brain they require less fat.  Good read.

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I watched the first few seasons but have since cut the cord and not seen the last few.  IIRC nobody in those seasons had much luck with snares outside of some squirrel.   

The thing is, if you starving, kill anything you can.  If you are not, be mindful.  Killing big game alone when it is warm is a hastle.  So easy to rot, attracts unwelcome animals.  In the winter it is a lot easier.  Storage is key.  Smoke everything you can not eat.  Find somewhere high like a leopard does to keep it.  Rabbit is a good food.  Ungulates are good food.  Fish is great food.  Smart use of resources is key.  Fish move.  Rabbits are a resource you can drain.  Deer and elk have some nice fat but the majority of the meat is very lean and if you think you are ok because you have 50 pounds of meet left, but none of it has fat, you can go down hill quick due to a false sense of security.

There is also interesting research on the domestication of the dog. How hunter gatherers hunting in excess to obtain fat meant that scarp piles were common and atttacted wolves.  With a smaller brain they require less fat.  Good read.

The winner did what you said. He was from the hills in far western VA  but he had lived several years with native Siberians (and married one) so he had a big leg up. He built a wood platform for the moose meat and he smoked it. Problem was the wolverine stole the fat. He ultimately got the Wolverine. He found old cans and strung them around the meat platform as an alarm. Wolverine woke him up in the night and he pinned it with an arrow then killed it with a hatchet. It was off camera but even sounded badass. The net he wove was unbelievable. He was a deserved winner. 

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The winner did what you said. Turns out he had lived several years with native Siberians (and married one) so he had a big leg up. He built a wood platform for the moose meat and he smoked it. Problem was the wolverine stole the fat. He ultimately got the Wolverine. He found old cans and strung them around the meat platform as an alarm. Wolverine woke him up in the night and he pinned it with an arrow then killed it with a hatchet. It was off camera but even sounded badass.

Was he storing the meat in a tree and left enough lower branches to climb?  Wolverines need branches to climb more than 7 or 8 feet.  At 10 more feet it should have been safe unless he did not take off the branches and strup the bark it could climb up.

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Was he storing the meat in a tree and left enough lower branches to climb?  Wolverines need branches to climb more than 7 or 8 feet.  At 10 more feet it should have been safe unless he did not take off the branches and strup the bark it could climb up.

He forgot to remove his ladder one night. 

edit: his platform was freestanding, with a removable ladder. 

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah he f’d up one night and left the log ladder against the platform. He was pretty amazing though despite that slip up. 

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Yeah he f’d up one night and left the log ladder against the platform. 

Oof brutal.  The weaseled family will make short work of any fat.  A 20 pound wolverine can destroy a lot of meat and will always go for fat first.  Weasels just eat and eat and eat.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Low fat. Rabbit starvation is a thing.  Their metabolism is off the charts.  Maybe we could GMO that out of them.  The ones we made pets can cary ok amounts of fat but (allegedly) taste like 

It seems like it would be relatively inexpensive to produce.  

And most parts of the world don't think about what their food looked like "on the hoof". I don't either. That's like thinking about what the grape looked like in my wine. 

What wine goes best with rabbit?

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

When I was a kid there was a special tin on the stove top. It’s where the bacon fat went to use for other frying. Guess it’s a sign of my age and that I’m pretty much from white trash...

we musta been rich, we had Crisco...bacon fat woulda been better 

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It seems like it would be relatively inexpensive to produce.  

And most parts of the world don't think about what their food looked like "on the hoof". I don't either. That's like thinking about what the grape looked like in my wine. 

What wine goes best with rabbit?

The wife and I agree that a good Chianti goes with just about anything.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

These are Emotional Support Scrumptious Bunnies, am I right ?

Are they considered legit on an airplane ?

:shrug:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor