Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Horrific terrorist attack in Nigeria. Over 100 dead. At least 30 beheaded.

30 minutes ago, Bob said:

Weird how African Africans love America and Black Americans hate it 

You need to visit any Marine Corps or army platoon. The amount of diversity would probably scare the shit out of you, or maybe you would wake up to the fact that color doesn’t mean a damn thing when it comes to love of country.

Don’t visit a Marine Motor Transport platoon though,. The diversity there is minimal. Motor T platoons are mostly made up of hillbillies and us Mexicans😀😀

4 hours ago, CV147 said:

I would be open to selling arms to the Nigerian state. I believe there's a great future there if we can be a good economic partner. It will soon be one of the largest countries by population in the entire world.

That approach has almost always backfired on us. Arming villagers in Afghanistan is what led to the rise of the Taliban....Iraq after the Iran-Iraq war....Noriega in Panama....it just never ends well. Much like the Balkans, this is driven in large part by religion. There is no co-existing for Islamic radicals as they aim to purge the area of Christians. 

It’s very difficult to imagine what people in some third world countries go through on a daily basis. Survival is difficult much less having enough to eat and relative safety. You can say the same about some of our inner cities. And it’s strictly the luck of the draw what you are born into. 

36 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It’s very difficult to imagine what people in some third world countries go through on a daily basis. 

It’s not difficult for me to imagine. I used to fly out of LaGaurdia regularly. 

16 hours ago, Slapdad said:

That approach has almost always backfired on us. Arming villagers in Afghanistan is what led to the rise of the Taliban....Iraq after the Iran-Iraq war....Noriega in Panama....it just never ends well. Much like the Balkans, this is driven in large part by religion. There is no co-existing for Islamic radicals as they aim to purge the area of Christians. 

It did also helped bankrupt the Soviets. Not that their wasn’t horrible blowback, but we don’t live on the brink of nuclear annihilation so much anymore.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

50 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It did also helped bankrupt the Soviets. Not that their wasn’t horrible blowback, but we don’t live on the brink of nuclear annihilation so much anymore.

I am perfectly fine ceding the sandbox to Russia and China.  Let them waste blood and treasure for little return for the next few decades.  

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am perfectly fine ceding the sandbox to Russia and China.  Let them waste blood and treasure for little return for the next few decades.  

I agree for the most part. Just saying a 50 year retrospective looks different than one 15-19 years ago.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I agree for the most part. Just saying a 50 year retrospective looks different than one 15-19 years ago.

And I agree in some respect.  The economic might of American capitalism allowed us to meet and out compete Russia at every turn.  We could turn and burn, arm and intervene.  I know that is simplistic but my computer is in the shop and typing on a phone sucks.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And I agree in some respect.  The economic might of American capitalism allowed us to meet and out compete Russia at every turn.  We could turn and burn, arm and intervene.  I know that is simplistic but my computer is in the shop and typing on a phone sucks.

Nah that’s good. Also China and Russia today present different problems than the Soviets did. We’re a different country as well.

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Nah that’s good. Also China and Russia today present different problems than the Soviets did. We’re a different country as well.

To be frank, the ME and near Asia has never been less important to the West, not since the bronze age collapse.  There is no control of trade, between East and West, Russia and the US produce more than enough energy.  We are not in a cold war chess game.  There is just no advantage in ME hegemonic strength relient on force projection right now.  

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

To be frank, the ME and near Asia has never been less important to the West, not since the bronze age collapse.  There is no control of trade, between East and West, Russia and the US produce more than enough energy.  We are not in a cold war chess game.  There is just no advantage in ME hegemonic strength relient on force projection right now.  

The west is a big place. The Syrian refugee crisis, coupled with our +++++ ups in Iraq and Libya caused a lot of problems for Europe. France is not handling it well, to say the least. Relative peace in the region is still in everybody’s interest.

23 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The west is a big place. The Syrian refugee crisis, coupled with our +++++ ups in Iraq and Libya caused a lot of problems for Europe. France is not handling it well, to say the least. Relative peace in the region is still in everybody’s interest.

Peace is always a good thing but the logistical importance of the area has waned.

19 hours ago, Slapdad said:

In my suggestion, we're not arming rebels. We're selling arms to the legitimate government, just like we do everywhere.