Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idkk

SJSU vs Hawaii (Moved to Hawaii)

8 minutes ago, NoMakeLiDat said:

Spartans are legit. Dominated us in the trenches. Ran the ball down our throats and stuffed our run. It’s a shame that the game against Boise was cancelled. I would have liked SJSU’s chances in that one.

I think we'll still get to see it....

Spartans win! :Clapping: Improve to 5-0 and we get to take the trophy home. 

D7jXiNVJOmzJfu3_MG7rD1cm5Rjz3oO0-OKZWMcwJ5psLM-zfR12ce476lcYOEuzEAGjMC202Bu87JAJM_0BALBmn6il3WyDbcvxnxFGfTIQnqEmNqYjYaSYwLwDgeGyPYzpjjMHymxj4qcltiwe2WEmP-qqa_trE6wm8o7dUuwGGVjiih31RHL9vyzx7S5uEW_RIdYD9D0drXaz1eWtQoYNiBs_7_ECzyu5OPI5SK9Zfzm9Y_KKEemyC5O-OYwTh7aLN87pnlSw4UHB-_zK7s7pV-3YRcO8GyGlgDW-WJa3KHmpaXg4QX-dYl7a_gj-vDUiXPuXAd6F4maXqv0ent8KIDwOZBRqbsexmlogbcthwzFcNMFoAHVbdJLHQ0oQWRQgT9JcfAKgj1OYbNuYZsQO1aMC3owTYCfI5fI-hoqyUmaDWQ2da8tL8F8QiUfSMxA5DLDt_wuSJhks3P023jJi1hajKwLCKJRXsZtKHOo60qde890Y0hHLEm0CA9HMrhfF42RTWIYwb8fMK3i-EdRZiKnfKMysmLK3WO5h_uRcjYthy8SqpOwqAA4C7vWvL05PLxJ2PXLeFTmg_QKZsNDRNA893YKg3BLTYfsiFIvqRbJ9jr2xQTIrEvRTc8WTY1jKpiJrtYlAKd8LOIKB5dnwcKC_BQx5MpgJiZtjXBgPqvFyoq_VzUw3RersRw=w362-h500-no?authuser=0

No offense to Hawaii, but they never really stopped us as much as we kept shooting ourselves in the foot to kill drives after the first quarter with penalties and dropped passes.  On our fourth drive, Holiness drops a pass deep down the middle with no one around him.  The next couple of drives, we're moving the ball down the field with ease, and we get drive ending penalties on ourselves--had me worried for awhile!

Was listening to the game on and off while doing some kid stuff. I knew that early lead would get thin. Hawaii is tough, especially on the island no matter what the circumstances. 

I think our passing fame showed some rust. Luckily our runners woke up and tre walker did a tre walker. Even when we've played sloppy we've dominated the trenches and closed games this year. Havent seen an sjsu team do that regularly since 2012. 

It seems clear that next week is sudden death to get into the CCG no matter what. Boy I'd love to see this group play a 12 game season with some p5 scalps on the scheule. If we only lose a couple guys to the NFL, it's still possible. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:01 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

A guy I know told me the following story about playing football on the beach in Waikiki, and I have no reason to believe it’s not true:

he and a few friends were tossing a football back and forth on the beach, and eventually, a few others joined and they decided to get a game of touch going. New guy shows up late and asks if he can join and it’s Tom Brady. They’re all shocked at first but of course Tom Brady can play. They had an odd number now so Tom offers to play QB for both teams. This is like a dream come true and a story they can tell for the rest of their lives. Yes, sir, mr Brady you can absolutely be the all-time QB for our silly little pickup game. He shakes hands with everybody and then asks if he can warm up first.

So he’s throwing passes to these regular schlubs and one guy keeps catching the ball with his body. So Brady takes him aside and says, “hey listen, when we start really playing, you need to catch the ball with your hands. I throw really hard. I’m gonna hurt you otherwise.” The guy doesn’t take it too seriously because he doesn’t think Brady is going to uncork nfl throws during a friendly game on the beach. He thinks he must be joking around. He eventually found out that Tom Brady doesn’t joke around.

So they start playing for real and Brady is just relentlessly competitive. He gets upset when guys drop the ball, which happens all the time because they’re not professional receivers, and it stops being fun pretty quickly. It goes from just tossing the ball around on vacation to an intense situation as soon as they started keeping score. The way my friend tells it, “it was cool that we got to meet Tom Brady and all but we all wished he would have just said hi and then headed back to Giselle and their luxury bungalow.” He apparently made all the same faces he makes on game day but instead of seeing it on tv and thinking “that dude is a baller” they were thinking “this dude is terrifying.” Most of the group left the beach that day with welts on their hands.

Anyway, at some point, Brady zings one to mr. body catch who takes the point of the football to the chest and ends up in the hospital with cracked ribs. Brady offered to cover any expenses but the guy had insurance. He also made it clear that he couldn’t take a photo before anyone even asked.

I guess the lesson is, if you run into Tom Brady, shake his hand, take a photo if he’ll let you, fan girl out, but do not, under any circumstances, try to play football with him.

This was a funny story.  You are very creative.  You should apply to work for Trump 2024 campaign :)

11 hours ago, kalua pig said:

enjoy the win.

What do you and @Warbow think about your fellow 'Bows fans throwing a fit over our social media team posting some tweets trolling Hawaii? They seem to be real mad :D

I just saw this vid:

The tweet in question (look at the replies and quote tweets):

15 minutes ago, idkk said:

What do you and @Warbow think about your fellow 'Bows fans throwing a fit over our social media team posting some tweets trolling Hawaii? They seem to be real mad :D

I just saw this vid:

The tweet wasn't in great taste, especially in the current situation where a lot of teams are doing a lot to help each other out with schedule flexibility and such. But it was also pretty tepid. Not sure if it was worth a segment on the local news channel. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:08 PM, crixus said:

Second year of the Dick Tomey Legacy trophy. So I guess that makes us official rivals. B)

I generally don't like adding new rivalry trophies for the kicks of it. But I do like the Tomey legacy trophy. I think this series deserves some sort of a trophy... these teams have been going at it since as far back as the 1930s, and for whatever reason the two teams end up consistently turning out wild games.

Tomey was one of the great sportsmen of college football, so it's cool the two teams share in that legacy. He held our program together while he was here. A lot of the guys on the 2012 team were his recruits. And he was basically Brennan's mentor while he was here as an assistant. 

4 hours ago, idkk said:

I just saw this vid:

Pretty low rent on its face. But Junior, Johnny-Boy and Tiny al have ninth island connections (family in Milpitas, "paid vacation" in Soledad) so SJS is their second team.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

5 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Tomey was one of the great sportsmen of college football, so it's cool the two teams share in that legacy. He held our program together while he was here. A lot of the guys on the 2012 team were his recruits. And he was basically Brennan's mentor while he was here as an assistant. 

Tomey didn't have a huge amount of on-field success at SJSU, though they had one good season (2006) where they finished 9-4 and won the New Mexico Bowl.  But he will be best remembered by Spartan fans, I think, for his role -- combined with AD Tom Bowen and President Kassing -- in turning around a horrible mess of an APR situation they inherited from the previous administration.  Tomey, Bowen and Kassing utterly committed themselves to academics and, within a few years, SJSU had one of the best APRs in the country and was held up by the NCAA as a model for how to fix broken academics.

32 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

Tomey didn't have a huge amount of on-field success at SJSU, though they had one good season (2006) where they finished 9-4 and won the New Mexico Bowl.  But he will be best remembered by Spartan fans, I think, for his role -- combined with AD Tom Bowen and President Kassing -- in turning around a horrible mess of an APR situation they inherited from the previous administration.  Tomey, Bowen and Kassing utterly committed themselves to academics and, within a few years, SJSU had one of the best APRs in the country and was held up by the NCAA as a model for how to fix broken academics.

I mean, he held this team together through the APR nightmare which almost sunk the program. You're right he didnt have a ton of success other than 2006, but they were competitive in 07 and 08 (5 and 6 wins) despite having absolutely no depth because of scholarship issues. I recall reading somewhere that in the loss uc davis in 2010, sjsu had fewer scholarship athletes on the field than fcs davis because of sanctions from academic problems. That may be apocryphal, but the situation was dire. 

It's also my understanding that Bill Walsh played a role in getting Tomey to sjsu as he saw the need for a guy like that to stabilize things.

8 hours ago, idkk said:

I just saw this vid:

i like it. i get it. people are too sensitive now days.