Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV vs #16 North Carolina

8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

3 returning players, so yes, it's going to take a minute. 7 freshmen. Weird year. We;ll see what happens.

I think you have to give him 4 years at least for the rebuild.  Hell of a recruiting class you have coming in. We will see.  I think if you can get to .500 this year with the brutal non con you call it a win.  JMHO.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well, i had fun rooting for UNLV in the first half.

Hope that fast start can be something to build on.

I don’t think they can build on it, they need to play the games, show up in practice and put in the work. That’s the only way they are going to develop. 

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think you have to give him 4 years at least for the rebuild.  Hell of a recruiting class you have coming in. We will see.  I think if you can get to .500 this year with the brutal non con you call it a win.  JMHO.

I'm on this boat. Give him a chance to get his guys

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Well folks...............After two games...............I honestly don't see a "must keep" on the roster other than Hamilton & maybe Blake.

If I'm the staff the entire roster is open to change at this point - Maybe give the freshmen the benefit of the doubt, but some of these transfers could be told thanks for the one season but, we thing you will be better off at (inset Big Sky, SunBelt, WAC program here) 

Nothing much positive from the two games we have seen but tons of WTF, WTH, head scratching and :hmmm: to consider 

They need to figure out a way to get Blake into the lineup. And get someone other than Hamilton to be the primary ball handler.  And one more thing. Find someone they can dump the ball to in the post; the entire offense is perimeter based and only Hamilton can get the ball into the paint.

31 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Fortunately, they won't have spectators shouting at them or to them.  This is effectively a free year to develop.

They haven't had any spectators for awhile now.  It's been a 5 year pandemic for Rebel hoops.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

This might be the reason UNLV has trolls in their threads... that was well known going into the season... didn't stop rebfan from chest beating. 

... and let it be known I've had a long stance that a good UNLV basketball team is better for the whole conference

Oh they're still going to do the chest beating, lol, because like I said, it's going to take a minute. It doesn't mean it won't happen. I look forward to seeing the other MW teams play, I don't think anybody is going to look that good early on.

39 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Nothing will be that ugly. Nothing, lol. K kept his starters in with a 50 point lead. Pure class.

That Duke game was literally over not long after the opening tip.  This was at least competitive for a half.  Game went pretty much as expected.  UNLV opened fast, UNC underestimated them, but woke up and got it together after being punched in the mouth.

Everyone expected UNC to dominate on the glass and they did.  UNLV wasn’t nearly as effective behind the arch as they needed to be (8 for 37).  Another horrible assist to turnover ratio sure didn’t help (7 assists to 17 turnovers).

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

Oh they're still going to do the chest beating, lol, because like I said, it's going to take a minute. It doesn't mean it won't happen. I look forward to seeing the other MW teams play, I don't think anybody is going to look that good early on.

We look pretty good.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, Ernie Baer said:

That Duke game was literally over not long after the opening tip.  This was at least competitive for a half.  Game went pretty much as expected.  UNLV opened fast, UNC underestimated them, but woke up and got it together after being punched in the mouth.

Everyone expected UNC to dominate on the glass and they did.  UNLV wasn’t nearly as effective behind the arch as they needed to be (8 for 37).  Another horrible assist to turnover ratio sure didn’t help (7 assists to 17 turnovers).

Agree. I'm guessing when they have a little more time together, they'll be able to do something besides just jack up 3s when they're outsized like they were tonight. They won't see much of that in the MW. Probably not on the rest of their schedule.

I'm not going to use a blow out by UNC, or a no show for Montana St as an indicator of where this team will finish this year.

And, I'd like to see more Art Kalumas and Zaen being recruited, and less  Devon Tillis and Moses Wood.

So far we are seeing Grill, Hamilton and Blake step up. Coleman again isn’t hurting us. Jenkins needs to earn his minutes. Hamilton tries to do too much when the team loses its rhythm and everyone else goes into spectator mode. PT needs to be redistributed but that probably won’t start to happen till we get home again next week. Gotta build the guys that are ready to contribute and if there is room get the youngsters on the floor.

5 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

They need to figure out a way to get Blake into the lineup. And get someone other than Hamilton to be the primary ball handler.  And one more thing. Find someone they can dump the ball to in the post; the entire offense is perimeter based and only Hamilton get get the ball into the paint.

This is literally a long shot considering Diong is at best a 3rd option on offense on a normal roster in the post...........the other height is a 6-11 FR (who's barley seen a minute) a 6-8 Tulane transfer who likes 3's & some 6-7 guy who burned time at College of Central Florida

So post options are basically non-existent 

UNLV has an Air Force type roster of 6-6 & shorter guys who rely on perimeter shooting 

3 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

We look pretty good.

I saw you the other night, you do look good. You have a lot of returning players, and continuity in your program. I expect you to win the MW going away. But even last week, your team was rusty just like everybody else is/ will be. You're going to have to adjust to not having Flynn, and if Schaeckel ever graduates that will hurt your 3 point %. Mitchell is good, but not as good as I thought he would be. But most of your players have played together a lot, and it makes a difference, especially early on.

6 minutes ago, Jalex4141 said:

That UNC team is tough with quality bigs. Game plan of double teaming inside worked at first but Roy William's quickly figured that out. I think UNC is better than 14. I dont think any MW team beats that UNC team.   

This was being talked about on the radio before the game. Not only do they have 5 guys over 6'10, but those guys are very athletic, physical, and can run, as well. This game pretty much went the way I expected, we just can't compete with that at this point, especially without bigs.

6 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I saw you the other night, you do look good. You have a lot of returning players, and continuity in your program. I expect you to win the MW going away. But even last week, your team was rusty just like everybody else is/ will be. You're going to have to adjust to not having Flynn, and if Schaeckel ever graduates that will hurt your 3 point %. Mitchell is good, but not as good as I thought he would be. But most of your players have played together a lot, and it makes a difference, especially early on.

Boise has looked really good the last 50 minutes.  The first 30 were rough.  Give us Akot who is supposed to be a stronger Alston and Doutrive and we are going to be a load.

Jenkins flat out sucks. I can see times when he could be ok, but he doesn't play within the offense what so ever. Grill is actually going to be good. He is the type of guy we need. I know it's a covid year, but Otzelberger does not have them ready to play.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

This was being talked about on the radio before the game. Not only do they have 5 guys over 6'10, but those guys are very athletic, physical, and can run, as well. This game pretty much went the way I expected, we just can't compete with that at this point, especially without bigs.

Biggest shortcoming on the team this year and next is lack of size. While the staff has focused on shooters the need for a few quality bigs has been ignored. I know the focus for TJ’s style of play but we haven’t seen a sign of that happening yet either. Need the bigs to rebound because running a fast pace out of an inbounds isn’t happening.