Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

MBB: VCU vs USU game thread

Excited to see some Aggie hoops this evening! 7:30 MST on ESPN 2 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

USU starting a frosh at PG. Playing well hopefully VCU cools down from 3. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

MWCboard curse lives on. Aggies foul and then give up back to back turnovers. Sorry guys, that's on me...

Wow, you’re right @misplacedcowboy! I tune in, and USU goes ice cold... from up 5 to down 8! Im leaving now, lol.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

The Aggies really missed Merrill in this game. When VCU made their run Merrill was the guy that could get a basket or two to break the run. The Aggies will be fine, it’s going to take some time for their young players to get acclimated. Their perimeter defense needs to get better also.

Wooster impressed me. Good athlete that is going to be a fine player. Bairstow isn’t bad either. Not impressed with Anderson the UVA xfer. Miller was Miller, made some threes but missed a lot also. He can’t create his own shot and is a poor defender. I still think the Aggies are a top three team in the MWC although they are going to miss their great home court advantage. 

Well that was disappointing. By my math, USU was outscored 40-14 after taking a 55-45 lead. The Aggies are going to have some issues dealing with adversity, especially early in the year without Merrill to bail them out. I'm thinking the lack of a true go to guy will prevent USU from staying in the upper echelon of the MWC this year, but they will still be solid and a tough out.

That Wooster kid did look good when I was watching. Looks like you have something there.

19 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Preseason predictions are generally pretty dicey..In this weird year the guesses are even harder..

Teams will progress at different rates for awhile.  None of us know what kind of practice restrictions exist from county to county and state to state.

The Utags played really well for what ? 25 - 30 minutes ?

Then their defense and shooting disappeared.  That was a stunning circle of the drain.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

26 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

The Utags played really well for what ? 25 - 30 minutes ?

Then their defense and shooting disappeared.  That was a stunning circle of the drain.

Bad last stretch to be sure. This is a young team replacing its best player arguably in the history of the program. If it's one thing I know about Craig Smith coached teams, they always get better and find the right rotation as the season goes along. Worster provides reason for optimism. Need to find some more outside shooting though. This team has to shoot 30% or better from 3 or we are toast. I am not concerned yet.