Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Man fired for not participating in company mandated prayer

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

First Amendment?

Perhaps.  But not sure if other clearer statutes come into play.  Also I’m not convinced our current court would not rule the owners have the right in their business to do whatever they want unless it’s a protected class.   

Just now, sactowndog said:

Perhaps.  But not sure if other clearer statutes come into play.  Also I’m not convinced our current court would not rule the owners have the right in their business to do whatever they want unless it’s a protected class.   

I agree they can do what they want. But to enforce it on all employees?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Sad for him

Q ? 

Why would you want to work for a Business that forced you to pray ?

Or any other mandated requirement that has zero to do with your ability to perform your job ?

You can’t discriminate on the basis of religion unless it’s central to the organization’s mission. This better be a very religious plumbing company.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Should be.  Couldn’t think of a better biblical story that matched. Jonah’s Plumbing Co.?

Come on man. It’s right there. Plumbing problems, overflow, floods...?

1200px-Edward_Hicks,_American_-_Noah's_A

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

42 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

First Amendment?

That’s for the government, not employers. The civil rights act is what’s in question here. If the company is smaller than 15 people it doesn’t apply. If the guy is an independent contractor it doesn’t apply.

56 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You can’t discriminate on the basis of religion unless it’s central to the organization’s mission. This better be a very religious plumbing company.

So how is “central” defined?  All my “Christian friends” claim spreading the gospel can be central to any organization.   

13 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

So how is “central” defined?  All my “Christian friends” claim spreading the gospel can be central to any organization.   

You have to make a pretty strong case for ministerial exception to claim religion is central to the employees job. I have a hard time seeing how carrying out the mission of fixing plumbing can be construed as central to the religious mission of the organization. If it’s a small company, they’re off the hook in accordance with the civil rights act of 1964. If the guy is an independent contractor, as most plumbers are, the company is off the hook either way.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You have to make a pretty strong case for ministerial exception to claim religion is central to the employees job. I have a hard time seeing how carrying out the mission of fixing plumbing can be construed as central to the religious mission of the organization. If it’s a small company, they’re off the hook in accordance with the civil rights act of 1964. If the guy is an independent contractor, as most plumbers are, the company is off the hook either way.

I know ive used the lords name in vain a time or ten when doing plumbing.  Does that count?

3 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I know ive used the lords name in vain a time or ten when doing plumbing.  Does that count?

I was waiting to make that same joke. The plumbing never repents, and I’m a real, government certified fake minister.

I was curious about CA law and this situation. By my read in CA the employer would be violating the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. I’m good with that.  

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

57 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I was curious about CA law and this situation. By my read in CA the employer would be violating the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. I’m good with that.  

Regardless as a Christian I would be the first to disagree with his stance.  You want to spread the love of Christ, be a +++++ing good employer that takes care of you employees at a higher standard than most.  Being a Jackass never converted anyone to Christianity.