Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Brett McMurphy's updated bowl game predictions include B.Y.U. vs. San Jose State in the New Mexico Bowl (being played in Frisco, TX)

Well, then I feel sorry for BYU and SJSU. 

I feel sorry for BYU because they deserve a much better bowl than that. No Top 15 team should play in the New Mexico bowl. BYU has been in the Top 10 in both the AP and Coaches polls for over a month and will most likely be 10-0 heading into the bowl season. Whether or not the CFP views BYU as a Top 10 team doesn't dismiss the fact that the majority of the sports media world views BYU's #14 ranking as asinine and incorrect. Yes, BYU deserves a better bowl 

I feel sorry for SJSU because if they indeed play BYU, it will be ugly. BYU is angry. You thought BYU had a chip on their shoulder before? Wait till that bowl game. BSU's defense saw firsthand the type of chip BYU already had on their shoulder.

I would prefer to play Marshall. San Jose St is probably just as good but no one respects anyone in the west. 

ESPN will jockey around the bowls and get the matchup they want anyway. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Congrats to BYU on making a bowl game! No one before the season realistically predicted that BYU would qualify for the New Mexico bowl so this is quite an accomplishment.  I know it is a big letdown for those BYU folks not to be able to travel to Albuquerque but it is the Covid world we live in.  Hopefully you will still be able to sample some green chilies.  

Independence is a bitch.

And we aint talking the game in Shreveport.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, robe said:

I would prefer to play Marshall. San Jose St is probably just as good but no one respects anyone in the west. 

ESPN will jockey around the bowls and get the matchup they want anyway. 

BYU is in “the west” probably explains your NM Bowl projection... so your highlighted comment is probably spot on.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Congrats to BYU on making a bowl game! No one before the season realistically predicted that BYU would qualify for the New Mexico bowl so this is quite an accomplishment.  I know it is a big letdown for those BYU folks not to be able to travel to Albuquerque but it is the Covid world we live in.  Hopefully you will still be able to sample some green chilies.  

The green chile in Frisco, Tx just isn’t the same!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, TrueCoug said:

Well, then I feel sorry for BYU and SJSU. 

I feel sorry for BYU because they deserve a much better bowl than that. No Top 15 team should play in the New Mexico bowl. BYU has been in the Top 10 in both the AP and Coaches polls for over a month and will most likely be 10-0 heading into the bowl season. Whether or not the CFP views BYU as a Top 10 team doesn't dismiss the fact that the majority of the sports media world views BYU's #14 ranking as asinine and incorrect. Yes, BYU deserves a better bowl 

I feel sorry for SJSU because if they indeed play BYU, it will be ugly. BYU is angry. You thought BYU had a chip on their shoulder before? Wait till that bowl game. BSU's defense saw firsthand the type of chip BYU already had on their shoulder.

Not So Fast My Friend!

11 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

I know. I'm clearly pissed this morning. I think BYU did enough to deserve better than a #14 ranking. The AP voters and Coaches and national media agree. I'm just upset. But it is what it is.

SJSU is a very good team. If BYU ends up playing them, it will be a good matchup even if it's not the game BYU fans were hoping for. No disrespect to SJSU. We were just hoping for a P5 matchup in a NY6 bowl. I know SJSU would bring their A game. I think BYU would be highly motivated to prove a point as well. 

51 minutes ago, TrueCoug said:

I know. I'm clearly pissed this morning. I think BYU did enough to deserve better than a #14 ranking. The AP voters and Coaches and national media agree. I'm just upset. But it is what it is.

SJSU is a very good team. If BYU ends up playing them, it will be a good matchup even if it's not the game BYU fans were hoping for. No disrespect to SJSU. We were just hoping for a P5 matchup in a NY6 bowl. I know SJSU would bring their A game. I think BYU would be highly motivated to prove a point as well. 

I don't disagree. I haven't watched much college football this year but its reasonable to assume that byu should be in the same neighborhood as Cincinnati. 

2 minutes ago, TrueCoug said:

How so? I mean, kudos to Holmoe for not cancelling early and doing his best to put any kind of schedule together for his program but to pretend that BYU is actually a top 10 team is ridiculous. I have said it all year, I have my doubts that they are even a top 25 team. How many teams currently in the top 25 would BYU beat if Covid could be removed from the equation?

It was just being debated on ESPN yesterday that Cincinnati has no shot at a playoff spot and a slim shot at a NY6 bowl because of their poor schedule. If Tulsa can remain ranked the Bearcats will have played 3 top 25 teams + @UCF. The immediate response was that if this was not an impressive enough schedule given the cancellations then how much worse does BYU's schedule leave them? They have a single game against a top 25 team and unfortunately for both sides it was played without the starting RB, WR, a DL, and against the 4th and 5th string QB's.  The average numbers of wins BYU's opponents has is 3 (mostly coming against other bottom of the barrel teams) and it is likely by the end of the season that only two opponents will have a record above .500.

I know we'll hear the quotes about how "you can only beat who is on your schedule" and I agree it is not BYU's fault that this is what they were left with but let's also not artificially pump up their status after facing what amounts to one of the worst schedules in the country. Most of the rest of the top 25 are teams that would be there otherwise, BYU is there solely due to Covid 19 and there is no way around that.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Cincy deserves the national respect this year. They have beat some good teams. BYU Beat a Boise team with a third of their starters out, the backup QB out, and a Houston and Army team that are not near as good as people assume they are. Does BYU deserve a better bowl game? Of course. But they do not deserve to be mentioned with the Bearcats. If Washington asked Cincy to play and Cincy knew it would get them that much closer to the playoffs they would do it. BYU lost everyone's respect when they backed out of that game.

They didn't play Army. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

5 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Cincy deserves the national respect this year. They have beat some good teams. BYU Beat a Boise team with a third of their starters out, the backup QB out, and a Houston and Army team that are not near as good as people assume they are. Does BYU deserve a better bowl game? Of course. But they do not deserve to be mentioned with the Bearcats. If Washington asked Cincy to play and Cincy knew it would get them that much closer to the playoffs they would do it. BYU lost everyone's respect when they backed out of that game.

Boise didn’t just lose it was the worst loss since 1996. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.