Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

CFP Rankings

27 minutes ago, Rocket said:

The way cfp works is, you have to start the year in the top 25, then run the table beating everyone by double digits and then you’re in.

Theoretically if SJ has everyone coming back next year they could do it, theoretically, a tall order still.

Of course that's how it works, but SJSU was clearly the best team this year. I don't know how their TE Deece got so good, but I'm glad he's a senior and I hope he enters the draft! He'll be a high draft pick for sure.

11 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Of course that's how it works, but SJSU was clearly the best team this year. I don't know how their TE Deece got so good, but I'm glad he's a senior and I hope he enters the draft! He'll be a high draft pick for sure.

NM

3 hours ago, pesik said:

ucf losing its top offensive players shouldn't have affected its offense?? 

also saying byu lost players, adds zero ot your point...byu losing players doesnt change the fact that you played a drastically different ucf team than cincy did , so the comp is meaningless 

I don't remember the announcers mentioning that any of Cincinnati's offensive players had opted out.  Obviously, not having your best offensive weapon can limit the effectiveness of the offense.  Of course, I don't remember you touting Marlon Williams earlier in this thread.  Instead, you were gaga for the guy throwing the ball:

cincy on the other hand has played a lot of great qbs and flat shut all of them down, almost all the teams cincy has been playing have been great offense, poor defense teams, cincy isnt winning in shootouts, of playing keep away, flat just shutting teams down.. they played 3 top 10 national qbs (shane buechel, brady white, Dillon Gabriel) (1, 5,10 in passing offense, along with 28 houston) all were lucky to get even 1st downs vs cincy

Also, I seem to remember you thinking BYU wasn't all that because they didn't pour it on Houston until the end of the game:

houston is the best offense you played all year (considering who played)... houston was moving the ball at will the 1st 3 quarters

You didn't ever comment on the fact that BYU was missing probably its best defensive player (nose tackle Khyiris Tonga) in that Houston game.  I wonder if BYU's defense might have performed better against Houston if they hadn't been missing their best player?

You were also critical of BYU's offense in that game, in particular the run game:

but cincy's Oline and run game is on a different level than byu...byu's oline coach said Houston's Dline manhandled your O-line, our coach said cincy Oline was dominant against our Dline.. byu had 78 total rushing yards (3yds per run) vs houston

When I brought up that BYU was missing two offensive line starters and that their top receiver got injured early in that game, you had no comment.  And BYU still put up 43 points.  Only now when UCF gets obliterated do you seem to care about the effect missing players might have on a game.

You previously posted that BYU's QB is clearly better than Cincinnati's.  I agree.  I would extend that to the offense as a whole - even when not everyone is available.  As I said previously, Cincinnati's defense is probably better than BYU's - but not by a huge margin. 

BYU's special teams may be better, too.  They have a Lou Groza award finalist who didn't miss a single field goal.  Their punter (though he didn't get as many opportunities as Cincinnati's) had better punt and net punt averages.  Kick and punt coverage has been very good.  Cincinnati probably has the edge in kickoff and punt returning, though.

Merry Christmas!

15 hours ago, pesik said:

you are aware that UCF had most of its senior opt out to prepare for the draft???

you played an all freshman DB lineup.. and using that to comp cincy who played ucf a full strength?

And BYU didn't have their OC (Coach Grimes) or OL Coach (Mateos), 2 OLine starters (C- James Empey and G- Clark Barrington), starting CB (Chris Wilcox / opt out) and a part time starter LB (George Udo).

BYU lost their backup Center (Joe Tukuafu) early in the 1st quarter with BYU going to the 3rd string true freshman Connor Pay.  Then lost their 3rd starting OLine man (Tristen Hoge) later in the game with a sprained MCL. 

So BYU's CB rotation for the game was between true freshman- Micah Harper, true freshman- Caleb Christensen, So- Isaiah Herron, Jr- D'Angelo Mandell, and Jr- Keenan Ellis.  Now BYU cross-trains  a lot their CB and safeties, so some of these CB's could have seen some time at safety.   But I notice that BYU's Sr walk-on Jared Kapisi was in a lot of the time on D (he started the Boise St game when Zayne Anderson was out).

For BYU it has been next man up, plus BYU rotates a lot of players to allow them to gain experience.  So when they are the next man up they are good to go.  BYU played a number of true freshmen and freshmen in the UCF game (and I'm talking about on special teams).  True freshmen that play a number of downs in the game: CB- Micah Harper, CB- Caleb Christensen, LB- Josh Wilson, C- Connor Pay, PR/WR- Hobbs Nyberg, and P- Ryan Rehkow.  Red-shirt freshmen: TE- Isaac Rex, TE/HB- Carter Wheat, WR- Keanu Hill, DL- Caden Haws, DL- Seleti Fevaleaki, and DB- Tavita Gagnier.

It's not like BYU didn't have season ending injuries: S/LB- Jr Chaz Ah You (started against Navy/ where he went down), DE- True Fr Tyler Batty (4.0 sacks in 4 games which is tied for most sacks this season for BYU), TE- Sr Matt Bushman (lost in Fall camp, has been BYU's leading receiver the last 3 years), LB- Fr Ben Bywater (played in the first 3 games), DL- Jr Lorenzo Fauatea (lost 4th game, Tonga's backup), QB- So Jaren Hall (set out the year, had 2 concussions last year as Wilson backup), DE- So Hirkley Latu (played in 1 game), RB- Fr Jackson McChesney (lost in the Navy game, had 11-56 yards and 1 TD before the injury), OL- Jr Keanu Saleapaga (been out all season, except for a little PT in one game/ has 19 career starts for BYU), and OL- Jr Mo Unutoa (played in BYU's first 2 games before injury).

12 hours ago, pesik said:

ucf losing its top offensive players shouldn't have affected its offense?? 

also saying byu lost players, adds zero ot your point...byu losing players doesnt change the fact that you played a drastically different ucf team than cincy did , so the comp is meaningless 

It was just players, the OC Coach Grimes and OL Coach Mateos both stayed in Provo do to COVID protocol calls.

I thought Marlon Williams was out do to injury.  Maybe UCF does not use the next man up mantra.  Heck, against San Diego St BYU was without Tyler Allgeier (BYU's leading rusher 150-1130 yards & 13 TD's in 11 games) and Gunner Romney (2nd leading receiver 39-767 yards (19.7 YPC) and 2 TD's.   Romney was out do to concussion and didn't look quite in the UCF game (Receiving 1-12 yards, Rushing 1-7 yards & 1 TD), but other BYU players stepped with larger receiving game than normal (Isaac Rex 5-96 yards & 2 TD's; Neil Pau'u 5-86 yards & 1 TD; Lopini Katoa 4-90 yards; Tyler Allgeier 3-60 yards).