Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Montana State at UNLV

6 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Some people are still bitter Menzies got canned and is still unemployed. 

I’m not one of them.  I like what Otzelberger has done.  He beat the top two teams in the conference in year one with a limited roster.

8 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

The only one you've seen talking NIT or any other post season is Ph.

And the program had to be 'upheaved' two years ago because it certainly wasn't going to go anywhere under Menzies.

And yes, 11 new players with 6-7 freshmen is going to take a minute to get together. For any team, it's just reality. Will they be much better a few games in? Maybe, maybe not, but they still shouldn't be getting beaten like they did last night by the Montana States of the world.

We finished 98th last year in KenPom with a lousy roster.  We should finish much higher this year.

I have to admit Wednesday night left me scratching my head a bit. I didn’t expect a 20 pt blowout win for the Rebels, but I sure didn’t expect what happened also. I chalk it up to a few things. Underestimating your opponent, new personal, no team chemistry and an obvious lack of defense. A couple of bright spots to me were Hamilton picking up right where he left off and freshman Nick Blake. I expect Coach Otz to right the ship and get these guys headed in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Gator 82 said:

I have to admit Wednesday night left me scratching my head a bit. I didn’t expect a 20 pt blowout win for the Rebels, but I sure didn’t expect what happened also. I chalk it up to a few things. Underestimating your opponent, new personal, no team chemistry and an obvious lack of defense. A couple of bright spots to me were Hamilton picking up right where he left off and freshman Nick Blake. I expect Coach Otz to right the ship and get these guys headed in the right direction. 

So many new pieces but it needed to happen. 7 freshmen is a good thing, for the future. 3 new freshmen next year so we will finally be building a base of mostly multiple year players. So important for continuity and chemistry.  Right now 75% of the team is learning...everything. Next year the majority of the team will have been in the system at least 1 year. That said it all starts right now and I expect the learning curve to be a quick one. 

Defense is critical always but especially this year. With only Diong playing in the paint right now and his propensity to leave his feet and get fouls, help defense from the perimeter is crucial. Small ball requires a bunch of help from your brothers and people filling in behind them. We clearly aren’t there yet of even close. These guys will pick it up quickly especially with the experience they’ll have handed to them in the next week. 

Every year is different and a lot of these guys are new to each other but Jenkins in a red shirt junior, Hamilton is a junior, Coleman is a junior.  These guys have played a lot of basketball and should be quite experienced with help defense.

I think UNLV is going to be fine but starting four guards, none taller than 6'3 makes playing defense harder.

32 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Every year is different and a lot of these guys are new to each other but Jenkins in a red shirt junior, Hamilton is a junior, Coleman is a junior.  These guys have played a lot of basketball and should be quite experienced with help defense.

I think UNLV is going to be fine but starting four guards, none taller than 6'3 makes playing defense harder.

I think Del Cadia or Wood should be starting at the four spot.  They’ve gone too small IMO.

Walk ons definitely should not see the court at UNLV unless we are up 20+ points.

Ding Dong has no business being on the court for UNLV ever.  We will never be top 25 with that guy on the court.

Starting five should be the studs:

David Jenkins - PG

Bryce Hamilton - G

Caleb Grill - G

Nick Blake - F

Moses Wood - F

Nobody else should play unless those guys foul out.  They are 20 years old and don't get tired.  If they do get tired, they don't belong at UNLV.

We got some other studs showing up next year that will give us a 7 man rotation.  Until that time just play the guys that other schools actually recruited.

If we are going to win you have to play winners.  Walk ons and Ding Dongs won't get it done.

I rewatched much of the game this morning. It was interesting to watch off ball and where the breakdowns were. In the first half when we were getting whipped our most experienced players committed most of the turnovers or took really bad shots. I’m thinking much of that was from trying to do too much. Diong was out of position or behind most of the time. Jenkins, Grill and Hamilton threw up several air balls. There was about 8 minutes where the game was lost. 

Corrections with those guys should come quickly. Poise comes from confidence and that comes from PT and execution. 

13 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

I rewatched much of the game this morning. It was interesting to watch off ball and where the breakdowns were. In the first half when we were getting whipped our most experienced players committed most of the turnovers or took really bad shots. I’m thinking much of that was from trying to do too much. Diong was out of position or behind most of the time. Jenkins, Grill and Hamilton threw up several air balls. There was about 8 minutes where the game was lost. 

Corrections with those guys should come quickly. Poise comes from confidence and that comes from PT and execution. 

Jenkins has to have the ball in his hands and the sooner the coaches at UNLV realize that the better.  I am sure the walk on kid is a nice kid who tries hard.  HE IS GOING TO DESTROY THE TEAM IF THEY KEEP PUTTING HIM IN.  Jenkins is a alpha stud who must be #1 and have the ball in his hands.  He has to be the point guard or the coaches don't know what they are doing.  I saw one game and I can fix all the problems with this team.  Get Ding Dong and the Walk On OUT!

Give the ball to Jenkins.  POINT GUARD

And for god's sake please stop writing articles about how some lousy walk on is the leader of the team.  JENKINS is the damn leader.

10 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Jenkins has to have the ball in his hands and the sooner the coaches at UNLV realize that the better.  I am sure the walk on kid is a nice kid who tries hard.  HE IS GOING TO DESTROY THE TEAM IF THEY KEEP PUTTING HIM IN.  Jenkins is a alpha stud who must be #1 and have the ball in his hands.  He has to be the point guard or the coaches don't know what they are doing.  I saw one game and I can fix all the problems with this team.  Get Ding Dong and the Walk On OUT!

And for god's sake please stop writing articles about how some lousy walk on is the leader of the team.  JENKINS is the damn leader.

Well I have to admit that Diong hasn’t really grown much in his past 3 years. Always behind or giving easy fouls. Front court play is about nonexistent at this point so expect to see a bunch of small ball. 

2 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Well I have to admit that Diong hasn’t really grown much in his past 3 years. Always behind or giving easy fouls. Front court play is about nonexistent at this point so expect to see a bunch of small ball. 

dumb.dumber.png.9af23a5a1c1173147071d19881e357bb.png

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

Walk ons definitely should not see the court at UNLV unless we are up 20+ points.

Ding Dong has no business being on the court for UNLV ever.  We will never be top 25 with that guy on the court.

Starting five should be the studs:

David Jenkins - PG

Bryce Hamilton - G

Caleb Grill - G

Nick Blake - F

Moses Wood - F

Nobody else should play unless those guys foul out.  They are 20 years old and don't get tired.  If they do get tired, they don't belong at UNLV.

We got some other studs showing up next year that will give us a 7 man rotation.  Until that time just play the guys that other schools actually recruited.

If we are going to win you have to play winners.  Walk ons and Ding Dongs won't get it done.

I’m a real f-ckin’ man!  I got a big f-ckin’ dick!  And I know how to treat a f-ckin’ woman!

6 hours ago, Gator 82 said:

One other thing nobody is talking about and that is the lack of home court advantage for any team this season. No fans, no noise. Just looks like a practice game, and nobody was amped up, just going through the motions. Guys are going to have to adjust and adapt. 

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

I didn't see sh*t from Jenkins on Wednesday, maybe he was too hyped up, or whatever, but if he doesn't settle down and start playing, he doesn't belong on the court either.

8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I didn't see sh*t from Jenkins on Wednesday, maybe he was too hyped up, or whatever, but if he doesn't settle down and start playing, he doesn't belong on the court either.

Ball has to be in his hands.  Can't have a lousy walk on keeping the ball from the stud guy.  Jenkins has to have the ball in his hands.  Sit the walk on.