Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Canadian researchers discover a village that is three times older then the pyramids of Egypt

Truly amazing story here.  As a group of Canadian Ph.D students discovered an ancient village in Canada that is carbon dated (the artifacts that is) to 14,000 B.C.   The oldest Egyptian pyramids date back to about 4,700 B.C.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/ancient-canadian-settlement-older-pyramids-discovered?utm_campaign=twitterpdanm1&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

23 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

Truly amazing story here.  As a group of Canadian Ph.D students discovered an ancient village in Canada that is carbon dated (the artifacts that is) to 14,000 B.C.   The oldest Egyptian pyramids date back to about 4,700 B.C.

That's really cool.  The Bering Straight was a land bridge from about 25,000 years ago until about 8,000 years ago.

800px-Pre-clovis-sites-of-the-americas.s

Carbon dating still feels a little like black magic to me. The margin for error is still pretty wide. It kinda feels like the scientific equivalent of oral history/family tradition in genealogy research.

I also wonder as the technology evolves and gets more accurate whether or not previous samples are regularly reassessed. It always seems like we find new X site that is far older than anything previous, but do we ever true up the previous finds? Or am I overestimating the evolution of this technology, and it pretty much is the same as it ever was?

We got any radio-carbon dating geeks around here?

Impossible - The earth is 600 years old tops !!! :banhammer: 

Evangelical Christians make up approximately 25% of the U.S. population. A majority of them think the Bible should be read literally and that evolution is false.

The Creation Museum, about which we wrote a book in 2016, promotes a very specific version of this belief, which holds that God made the universe in six 24-hour days about 6,000 years ago.

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Evangelical Christians make up approximately 25% of the U.S. population. A majority of them think the Bible should be read literally and that evolution is false.

The Creation Museum, about which we wrote a book in 2016, promotes a very specific version of this belief, which holds that God made the universe in six 24-hour days about 6,000 years ago.

I miss @WyomingCoog.

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

That's what I was saying... radio-carbon dating is fake news. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Borussia Dortmund Ride GIF

Gotta admit...never expected to see an Erling Haaland gif here...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.