Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naggsty Butler

Cue Thus Spoke Zarathustra...

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

When this happens to me, I make sure to catch a couple right in front of them and then tell them to put on something I know won't work. Then they'll never come back.

But seriously, getting annoyed is one thing... yelling at them and telling them they're not welcome and chasing them off would make you a total dick. Even when people aren't following the rules, good stewards try to kindly educate with a little info or just showing by example. 

So this was a thing.  Man goes on a rant about Californians here in Idaho before firing at campers for being in his spot.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/10/new-details-released-about-fatal-shooting-at-campground-that-involved-off-duty-police-chief/

23 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So this was a thing.  Man goes on a rant about Californians here in Idaho before firing at campers for being in his spot.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/10/new-details-released-about-fatal-shooting-at-campground-that-involved-off-duty-police-chief/

Man, that's wild. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Man, that's wild. 

Yeah, the sentiment has been getting ugly this year.  Campgrounds and hotsprings closing due to overuse has got people on edge and leads to shit like this.

image.png.9c4af6a1073322ddb071b99a7ad3ae57.png

Problem is, a lot of the people doing the trashing, the majority even are multi generational Idahoans.  That stretch of highway also saw record crashes this year.

There was anti California graffiti on the capital building and on private property this summer as well.

See my earlier post about the damage that had been caused after one long weekend.

That damage is not easily remediated. Especially in a place that gets minimal rain and is very remote.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, the sentiment has been getting ugly this year.  Campgrounds and hotsprings closing due to overuse has got people on edge and leads to shit like this.

image.png.9c4af6a1073322ddb071b99a7ad3ae57.png

Problem is, a lot of the people doing the trashing, the majority even are multi generational Idahoans.  That stretch of highway also saw record crashes this year.

There was anti California graffiti on the capital building and on private property this summer as well.

Were those campgrounds on federal land? Because if they were, someone should tell Idahoans that they belong to Californians as much as they belong to anyone else in the country. 

For all the shit we get out here on the West Coast, I've never once seen a Texan or southerner told either verbally or through signage to go back to where they came from when visiting any of our popular tourist destinations. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Were those campgrounds on federal land? Because if they were, someone should tell Idahoans that they belong to Californians as much as they belong to anyone else in the country. 

For all the shit we get out here on the West Coast, I've never once seen a Texan or southerner told either verbally or through signage to go back to where they came from when visiting any of our popular tourist destinations. 

They were indeed.  It makes us look like a bunch of angry hicks.  Again, almost all the poor behavior I saw or heard about this year was done by Idahoans.  Mostly people who rarely if ever leave Boise going camping for the first time making the areas within 2 hours of Boise just a hellscape.  Poaching was a huge problem this year too.  That is not Californians.

It is embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

They were indeed.  It makes us look like a bunch of angry hicks.  Again, almost all the poor behavior I saw or heard about this year was done by Idahoans.  Mostly people who rarely if ever leave Boise going camping for the first time making the areas within 2 hours of Boise just a hellscape.  Poaching was a huge problem this year too.  That is not Californians.

It is embarrassing.

That all sounds like a mess. I only went camping and fishing a couple times this year, so I really don't know what the situation was like out here overall. The fires forced closures late summer and in the fall in a bunch of NFs, and the NPs, SPs and heavy use NF rec areas were closed largely due to COVID. So in a lot of ways, we probably didn't see as much in terms crazy overuse as you guys did. 

10 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

That all sounds like a mess. I only went camping and fishing a couple times this year, so I really don't know what the situation was like out here overall. The fires forced closures late summer and in the fall in a bunch of NFs, and the NPs, SPs and heavy use NF rec areas were closed largely due to COVID. So in a lot of ways, we probably didn't see as much in terms crazy overuse as you guys did. 

It was a mess.  Although I got to really explore the Clearwater/Bitterroot ecosystem including thr ancient Lolo trail system.  Not many folk up that way lol.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It was a mess.  Although I got to really explore the Clearwater/Bitterroot ecosystem including thr ancient Lolo trail system.  Not many folk up that way lol.

That's cool. I spent a few days camping and fishing along Highway 12 like 10 years ago. Didn't camp in the backcountry, but did a lot of long hikes and caught a few trout as well. Some really beautiful little ones in the backcountry and and nabbed my first cutthroat in what I think was the Clearwater. Some very nice locals sent me on a hike to a cool hot spring that wasn't on the map. I couldn't have been more obviously from California --- CA plates on a Subaru. 

One of these days I want to go back there. One of my best out-of-state camping/fishing experiences. 

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

That's cool. I spent a few days camping and fishing along Highway 12 like 10 years ago. Didn't camp in the backcountry, but did a lot of long hikes and caught a few trout as well. Some really beautiful little ones in the backcountry and and nabbed my first cutthroat in what I think was the Clearwater. Some very nice locals sent me on a hike to a cool hot spring that wasn't on the map. 

One of these days I want to go back there. One of my best out-of-state camping/fishing experiences. 

Ahh that would be Stanley Hot Springs off hwy 12.  About an 8 mile hike.  Great spot.

Artists group takes credit for mysterious Utah monolith

https://nypost.com/2020/12/05/artists-group-takes-credit-for-mysterious-utah-monolith/

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor