Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naggsty Butler

Cue Thus Spoke Zarathustra...

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

Utah monolith: Internet sleuths got there, but its origins are still a mystery

https://news.yahoo.com/utah-monolith-internet-sleuths-got-205337670.html

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

The Obelisk Has Vanished

image.png.a60f6bfdc17e3d4f9a62a5e432179df0.png

image.png.5c7c588d2687c3fed52d390f7190d2dd.png

Is this the work of vandals ?

The Artist reclaiming their work ?

An Alien intervention ?

The mystery has deepened.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/11/28/utahs-desert-obelisk-has/

https://www.ksl.com/article/50057437/monolith-disappears-rock-pile-and-mini-pyramid-now-in-its-place

Americans Mayor

And now the even sadder news

Visitors to Utah’s mysterious obelisk left behind human waste, scarred the land

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/11/29/visitors-utahs-mysterious/

The BLM should have just zipped their mouths on this one.

Americans Mayor

Americans Mayor

This is getting to be fun.

A 3rd metal monolith has appeared in California — it's almost an exact match to the 2 monoliths that disappeared in Utah and Romania

image.png.48972bcc1a451fe9ddd65b835c69510d.png

https://www.insider.com/third-monolith-found-california-matches-utah-romania-2020-12

Americans Mayor

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/confirmed-navys-previously-unreported-2019-triangle-ufo-incident%3f_amp=true 

It is the 2020 report, however, which is most striking. Shared very widely across the civilian and military intelligence community, it includes an extraordinary photograph taken in late 2019 of a triangle-shaped UFO. The photograph was taken by a F/A-18F fighter jet operating off the U.S. East Coast. According to the report, the Triangle UFO rose out of the Atlantic Ocean and rapidly accelerated out of sight on a vertical axis. I believe, but have been unable to confirm, that the aircrew responsible for the photo were operating off either the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower or the USS John C. Stennis.

triangle_photo-1320x670.jpg

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

For real.

the full statement from one of the dickweeds...

We removed the Utah Monolith because there are clear precedents for how we share and standardize the use of our public lands, natural wildlife, native plants, fresh water sources, and human impacts upon them. The mystery was the infatuation and we want to use this time to unite people behind the real issues here— we are losing our public lands— things like this don’t help.

Let’s be clear: The dismantling of the Utah Monolith is tragic— and if you think we’re proud— we’re not. We’re disappointed. Furthermore, we were too late. We want to make clear that we support art and artists, but legality and ethics have defined standards-- especially here in the desert— and absolutely so in adventuring. The ethical failures of the artist for the 24” equilateral gouge in the sandstone from the erecting of the Utah Monolith, was not even close to the damage caused by the internet sensationalism and subsequent reaction from the world.

This land wasn’t physically prepared for the population shift (especially during a pandemic).
People arrived by car, by bus, by van, helicopter, planes, trains, motorcycles and E-bikes and there isn’t even a parking lot. There aren’t bathrooms— and yes, pooping in the desert is a misdemeanor. There was a lot of that. There are no marked trails, no trash cans, and its not a user group area. There are no designated camp sites. Each and every user on public land is supposed to be aware of the importance and relevance of this information and the laws associated with them. Because if you did, anyone going out there and filming the monolith and monetizing it without properly permitting the use of the land— would know that’s an offense too.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

the full statement from one of the dickweeds...

We removed the Utah Monolith because there are clear precedents for how we share and standardize the use of our public lands, natural wildlife, native plants, fresh water sources, and human impacts upon them. The mystery was the infatuation and we want to use this time to unite people behind the real issues here— we are losing our public lands— things like this don’t help.

Let’s be clear: The dismantling of the Utah Monolith is tragic— and if you think we’re proud— we’re not. We’re disappointed. Furthermore, we were too late. We want to make clear that we support art and artists, but legality and ethics have defined standards-- especially here in the desert— and absolutely so in adventuring. The ethical failures of the artist for the 24” equilateral gouge in the sandstone from the erecting of the Utah Monolith, was not even close to the damage caused by the internet sensationalism and subsequent reaction from the world.

This land wasn’t physically prepared for the population shift (especially during a pandemic).
People arrived by car, by bus, by van, helicopter, planes, trains, motorcycles and E-bikes and there isn’t even a parking lot. There aren’t bathrooms— and yes, pooping in the desert is a misdemeanor. There was a lot of that. There are no marked trails, no trash cans, and its not a user group area. There are no designated camp sites. Each and every user on public land is supposed to be aware of the importance and relevance of this information and the laws associated with them. Because if you did, anyone going out there and filming the monolith and monetizing it without properly permitting the use of the land— would know that’s an offense too.

I mean I get his point.  But it sounds like a problem easily fixed with a little funding to create an outhouse at the trail head and a trail.  We do that all the time here in Idaho to create acess to new areas.  

In the meantime they took it upon themselves to remove something that brought a little joy and curiosity to the world in a year where we really needed it.

Assholes.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I mean I get his point.  But it sounds like a problem easily fixed with a little funding to create an outhouse at the trail head and a trail.  We do that all the time here in Idaho to create acess to new areas.  

In the meantime they took it upon themselves to remove something that brought a little joy and curiosity to the world in a year where we really needed it.

Assholes.

I think his point is completely myopic and lacks any self-awareness. It's outdoor NIMBYism at its worst... a lot of these guys who base jump and rock climb and extreme kayak, they cloak arguments to keep other people from their favorite spots in rhetoric about nature conservation and land stewardship. They think public lands are  for them, personally, and for only the activities they deem as acceptable in wilderness spaces. It really irks me. Their adventuring "ethics" are not the universal rules of outdoor recreation, and these Wilderness Batman wannabes aren't the ones who get to decide where and how to enforce the rules of outdoor use. And I say this as someone who agrees in spirit with the sentiment that these guys seem to be operating from. 

But your second point is the one that really pisses me off. They could have spent their time helping the land management agency put up some signs and/or some facility to mitigate the impacts. But no, they just decided it was their job to destroy something that people thought was cool. Because they don't like outsiders driving near their spots. 

Total assholes. 

16 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think his point is completely myopic and lacks any self-awareness. It's outdoor NIMBYism at its worst... a lot of these guys who base jump and rock climb and extreme kayak, they cloak arguments to keep other people from their favorite spots in rhetoric about nature conservation and land stewardship. They think public lands are  for them, personally, and for only the activities they deem as acceptable in wilderness spaces. It really irks me. Their adventuring "ethics" are not the universal rules of outdoor recreation, and these Wilderness Batman wannabes aren't the ones who get to decide where and how to enforce the rules of outdoor use. And I say this as someone who agrees in spirit with the sentiment that these guys seem to be operating from. 

But your second point is the one that really pisses me off. They could have spent their time helping the land management agency put up some signs and/or some facility to mitigate the impacts. But no, they just decided it was their job to destroy something that people thought was cool. Because they don't like outsiders driving near their spots. 

Total assholes. 

Exactly.  So near the conflux of the Secesh River and the S. Fork if the Salmon residents of a small town of 17 people, 23 miles away got the forest service to build a trail up to Xena Ridge as it was a popular area for trapping and hunting.  They did it in one spring.  One! 

Public lands are maintained and kept open by the people.  We are all public land owners.  And that shiny piece of metal brought a smile to tens of millions who will never have the same access to public lands, yet support them with their taxes.

Assholes 

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Now to point out my own hypocrisy, I get annoyed when I see out of state plates at MY fishing holes!  

When this happens to me, I make sure to catch a couple right in front of them and then tell them to put on something I know won't work. Then they'll never come back.

But seriously, getting annoyed is one thing... yelling at them and telling them they're not welcome and chasing them off would make you a total dick. Even when people aren't following the rules, good stewards try to kindly educate with a little info or just showing by example.