Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Holocaust Museum opens George Floyd exhibet.

9 hours ago, Papi_chulo said:

George Floyd was nothing more than a street thug but of course (((they))) are going to give the thug an exhibit. Is anybody really surprised?

coded language is for cowards.  speak up.  who are "(((they)))", pray tell?

On 11/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, SharkTanked said:

I get that a link may be made, but in the interest of serving the more germane discussion, re: race relations in America as a whole and it's impact on our society, I would think the discussion would be more appropriate here: https://washington.org/visit-dc/guide-to-smithsonian-national-museum-african-american-history-culture

I think there is more value in discussing these recent events in the context or furthering race relations in America rather than trying to conjure up a fascist boogeyman. I guess I am approaching it from the viewpoint of museums should be furthering public knowledge by contextualizing historical lessons, and should stage exhibits for the maximum impact towards that cause. It would seem much more value could be made by continuing the discussion of race relations rather than the somewhat longer shot warning of fascism (which is such a long shot it may not even hit the mark, while racial relations is a real, pervasive and very currently damaging issue in American society/culture). 

I guess what I am saying is presenting this issue in the wrong context, or the less correct one, bastardizes the real lesson to be learned. Given America's difficulty in dealing with it's racial relations, it can be damaging too. What is more important for the country? Warning against genocide at the hands of a fascist regime (which given our construct seems highly unlikely to occur)? Or picking at the scab of the very real existent problem of racial relations that should be an ever-present discussion in our society?

At best, it is misguided. At worst, it damages racial relations in this country by decontextualizing the real issue.

The Holocaust Museum is private, and not owned by the Smithsonian. I get the idea but as Aggie pointed out, the Holocaust Museum goes out of their way to remind people that oppression is dangerous and can snowball quickly. It doesn't much brainpower beyond that.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, Papi_chulo said:

George Floyd was nothing more than a street thug but of course (((they))) are going to give the thug an exhibit. Is anybody really surprised?

When did virulent antisemitism become acceptable here? Go +++++ yourself.

3 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

The Holocaust Museum is private, and not owned by the Smithsonian. I get the idea but as Aggie pointed out, the Holocaust Museum goes out of their way to remind people that oppression is dangerous and can snowball quickly. It doesn't much brainpower beyond that.

Jesus dude, learn to read.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, Papi_chulo said:

That comment seems really racist and antisemitic

On 11/23/2020 at 1:55 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not our choice but I hope we can discuss these things even so.  Reactions early online from American Jews seem mixed with a majority not approving.  

I would also even say drawing parallels is not always productive, especially when they do not seem to exist or need to be stretched beyond reason to do so.  What are the parallels between the annihaltion of European Jewry at the hands of Nazi Geremny and Floyd, in your opinion?

I didn’t read the article but I see why they would do this.  Just like Anti Defamation League and other organizations that may have started from an event in history a generation or two ago is pivoting to more relevant today issues.  For example, the Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) which came out of civil rights era, has had to pivot to stay relevant, like speaking against family separations at the border (hardly anything to do with JA internment camps during WWII, but parallels in history about xenophobia against ethnic groups).  So I understand why they do this.  How can we learn from the past?  That’s the beauty and power of knowing and learning from history. 

12 minutes ago, Maji said:

((())) is a reference to being Jewish.

That doesn't seem racist to you? It's textbook racism

I think textbooks are Blue Voodoo’s kryptonite. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

When did virulent antisemitism become acceptable here? Go +++++ yourself.

It’s not 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, Maji said:

That comment seems really racist and antisemitic

It is and has been deleted.  Antisemitism is not tolerated on this board. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater