Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

byu says no

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Washington never had an open game to play.

They've been preparing for Utah this week, because everyone knows ASU was never going to play.  Half ASU's team has COVID.

BYU is avoiding a Thursday cancellation and some wasted money.

Hopefully BYU can find 1 or 2 additional opponents.  But Kudos to Tom for finding as many games as he has.  Some schools out west have barely played any.

BYU is the only ranked team to play 9 games so far. The vaunted PAC12 only has 3 games per team at most and will never get to 9 or probably even 6 games. I guess that P5 label is supposed to make up the difference. 

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Jack it's not "siding with the PAC" here. BYU fans need to get away from the whole "us vs everyone" mentality. I'm a bystander that happens to have a difference of opinion with you. I think playing a game and winning against Washington would look good for BYU. I will concede it's a shit sandwich of a scheduling arrangement where UW can cancel last minute. I hope you find a good team to add to the schedule. You've got such a good team it would be a shame to not play a single P5 opponent or another quality opponent when those are the wins that the committee looks at. 

I think your stance comes down to the fact that you hate UW and their fans, LOL. Question: would you rather play Utah (another unranked P5 team) or UW? 

You didn't ask me, but I'd rather play Utah for a chance to end their winning streak.  I wouldn't mind a game against Washington.  Winning against the Huskies - especially in convincing fashion - would be more evidence of how much better this year's BYU team is compared to the last couple of years.

But it doesn't matter this week, because, as BYU fans have previously explained, there's a good chance Washington is going to be playing Utah this week.

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

I mean to me the smart thing would be to bump up the SDSU game to this Saturday and then figure out the rest after the CFP rankings come out today. You would have 3 weeks left too sch up to 3 games. 

Obviously the HUGE game could be 12/19. Maybe a #5-6 Texas A&M would like to play a top 10 BYU to increase their CFP odds... That is the best game BYU could possible get and it would have upside for both teams.

I'd be in favor of playing A&M, but I believe the SEC is still conference-only.  Though maybe they would relax that rule once the conference schedule is over.  I'm not sure A&M would go for it, though.  If they win out, they're already in pretty good position to grab a playoff spot if Clemson or Notre Dame drop from the top 4 after the ACC title game.

Guest #1Stunner
On 8/8/2020 at 2:09 PM, Del Scorcho said:

yes, BYU hurt me as a child

growing up LDS in Utah in the 80's as a Ute fan was pure torture.

I have hundreds of stories, and lots of lingering issues

:)

We are seeing it play out in this thread...

Expand BYU enrollment, please.  We don't need more damaged BYU obsessed posters like this guy ^^^

6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

lots of rumors now about SDSU playing UW this Saturday

also USC has a positive test on their team, so there might be some questions about CU and USC (although its just one test for now)

Guest #1Stunner
40 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

:lol: you mad bro?

HA!  You kidding?

A Ute "Fan" starting more BYU threads on the MWC Board.  This is great!

The more BYU Chat, the better, IMO.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:22 PM, Spaztecs said:

On our terms and conditions or we take our toys and go home !

You resume is a Big, Fat,

ZERO !

ZIP

ZILCH

NADA

And you believe not playing will help your resume.

1984 was so 35 years ago.

So why isn't SDSU playing UW this weekend? I've seen reports that they could be in the mix too. But perhaps like BYU, SDSU equally does not want to pay $100-300k in preparation costs just to have the game pulled out from under them Thursday night due to Pac12 stipulations. Look, some people's hate for BYU is clouding their opinion. Hate BYU all you want. That's what sports are for. But unless there's a guaranteed game being offered, there's not really an offer at all.

People also don't realize that BYU has the next 2 weeks on bye. Their next game isn't until Dec 12 vs SDSU. They weren't planning on practicing this week. They gave the players and the coaches the week off and some have already flown home to be with their families. Reeling back in all of those players for a non-guaranteed game that will probably get cancelled when the Utah vs ASU game is cancelled is not a good deal for BYU to sign on the dotted line. Too many people are overlooking this fact. BYU is not scared. If UW offered a guaranteed game, BYU would have signed yesterday. Same goes for Utah or any other Pac12 school. Offer BYU an actual guaranteed game and BYU will play any of them. 

To add further detail, BYU even offered to let UW keep their Thursday cancellation policy if UW would agree to come to Provo. That way if UW pulls the plug, they take the hit on the preparation costs and there's minimal downside to BYU. With this arrangement UW could keep their travel plans to Utah since they'd be playing Utah anyway if the ASU game gets cancelled. There's not a better contingency play for UW out there. Make travel arrangements to Utah. You're guaranteed that you'll either play BYU or Utah. If you cancel on BYU on Thursday night, that's fine. No harm, no foul. If the Utah vs ASU game takes place as scheduled, then you play BYU and you get to keep all of the TV revenue.  BYU offered to allow Fox to broadcast the game in Provo and that UW could keep all of the TV revenue. Pac12/UW said no. So who's scared now. 

14 minutes ago, TrueCoug said:

So why isn't SDSU playing UW this weekend? I've seen reports that they could be in the mix too. But perhaps like BYU, SDSU equally does not want to pay $100-300k in preparation costs just to have the game pulled out from under them Thursday night due to Pac12 stipulations. Look, some people's hate for BYU is clouding their opinion. Hate BYU all you want. That's what sports are for. But unless there's a guaranteed game being offered, there's not really an offer at all.

People also don't realize that BYU has the next 2 weeks on bye. Their next game isn't until Dec 12 vs SDSU. They weren't planning on practicing this week. They gave the players and the coaches the week off and some have already flown home to be with their families. Reeling back in all of those players for a non-guaranteed game that will probably get cancelled when the Utah vs ASU game is cancelled is not a good deal for BYU to sign on the dotted line. Too many people are overlooking this fact. BYU is not scared. If UW offered a guaranteed game, BYU would have signed yesterday. Same goes for Utah or any other Pac12 school. Offer BYU an actual guaranteed game and BYU will play any of them. 

To add further detail, BYU even offered to let UW keep their Thursday cancellation policy if UW would agree to come to Provo. That way if UW pulls the plug, they take the hit on the preparation costs and there's minimal downside to BYU. With this arrangement UW could keep their travel plans to Utah since they'd be playing Utah anyway if the ASU game gets cancelled. There's not a better contingency play for UW out there. Make travel arrangements to Utah. You're guaranteed that you'll either play BYU or Utah. If you cancel on BYU on Thursday night, that's fine. No harm, no foul. If the Utah vs ASU game takes place as scheduled, then you play BYU and you get to keep all of the TV revenue.  BYU offered to allow Fox to broadcast the game in Provo and that UW could keep all of the TV revenue. Pac12/UW said no. So who's scared now. 

the PAC12 has already stipulated that they won't allow non-conference road games because of COVD testing differences. You can complain about that all you want (and I expect you will). But once again, its the only P5 conference (that we know of) that's has come forward and offered you a game and you whiffed on it.

but come this Saturday, at least byu will have time to wash their hair and start some Christmas shopping

6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

the PAC12 has already stipulated that they won't allow non-conference road games because of COVD testing differences. You can complain about that all you want (and I expect you will). But once again, its the only P5 conference (that we know of) that's has come forward and offered you a game and you whiffed on it.

but come this Saturday, at least byu will have time to wash their hair and start some Christmas shopping

Del Scorcho, you're smarter than this. Look at the track record of the Pac 12. They stipulated that there would be no fall season for the conference this fall. What did they do? They went back on that stipulation. The Pac 12 stipulated that there would be no OOC games allowed. What did they do? They went back on that stipulation. The Pac12 is simply living by their own rules that they created. So change the rules to allow for a great outcome. They can change any stipulations they want, especially when they'd be benefitting from all of the other stipulations that would remain in place when playing BYU. It would still be on their network. They would get all the TV revenue. But you gotta give BYU something. And that 'something' is the courtesy and decency of at least a guaranteed offer. 

And no road-games? Won't UW or Utah have to be on the road to play against each other anyway? One of them would have to travel, making it a road game for them. So Utah, who has been terrible at preventing the spread of Covid, is going to be safer than playing BYU, who has proven to have solid protocols and practices in place? How else did we get 9 games in already? Give me a break. Utah and ASU can't get their crap together but playing BYU is suddenly so dangerous? Hell, we'll play UW at Rice Eccles if that's what they want. We'll follow whatever protocol they want. But who's making the excuses now? BYU? Or the team and conference with all of their self-inflicted stipulations. 

11 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I read somewhere that if Utah-ASU gets cancelled, that Washington has to play at Utah.  If that's the case, agreeing to conditionally play in Provo (assuming Utah doesn't become available) means that Washington can book their travel now without incurring any unnecessary costs.

30 minutes ago, TrueCoug said:

Del Scorcho, you're smarter than this. Look at the track record of the Pac 12. They stipulated that there would be no fall season for the conference this fall. What did they do? They went back on that stipulation. The Pac 12 stipulated that there would be no OOC games allowed. What did they do? They went back on that stipulation. The Pac12 is simply living by their own rules that they created. So change the rules to allow for a great outcome. They can change any stipulations they want, especially when they'd be benefitting from all of the other stipulations that would remain in place when playing BYU. It would still be on their network. They would get all the TV revenue. But you gotta give BYU something. And that 'something' is the courtesy and decency of at least a guaranteed offer. 

And no road-games? Won't UW or Utah have to be on the road to play against each other anyway? One of them would have to travel, making it a road game for them. So Utah, who has been terrible at preventing the spread of Covid, is going to be safer than playing BYU, who has proven to have solid protocols and practices in place? How else did we get 9 games in already? Give me a break. Utah and ASU can't get their crap together but playing BYU is suddenly so dangerous? Hell, we'll play UW at Rice Eccles if that's what they want. We'll follow whatever protocol they want. But who's making the excuses now? BYU? Or the team and conference with all of their self-inflicted stipulations. 

that's what the conference agreed to (not just UW) but all of the PAC12 Presidents. You can be furious at UW, but they offered you the only thing they could which was a GAME IN SEATTLE IF A PAC12 OPPONENT WASN'T AVAILABLE. That's a better game by far than any of of your 2020 schedule and currently UW is undefeated and looked damn good last Saturday. You have to say yes to that game not just for today, but for future scheduling opportunities.

BYU's Sagarin SOS is 112th, UW is ranked 25th in Sagarin. That's a monumental jump up if you play that game. Keep waiting for those other amazing scheduling offers rolling into Holmoe's office

Imagine the good will you'd get from the committee if you'd said yes to that game and UW cancelled on you

there is a food chain aspect to all of this and unfortunately UW > BYU

56 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

that's what the conference agreed to (not just UW) but all of the PAC12 Presidents. You can be furious at UW, but they offered you the only thing they could which was a GAME IN SEATTLE IF A PAC12 OPPONENT WASN'T AVAILABLE. That's a better game by far than any of of your 2020 schedule and currently UW is undefeated and looked damn good last Saturday. You have to say yes to that game not just for today, but for future scheduling opportunities.

BYU's Sagarin SOS is 112th, UW is ranked 25th in Sagarin. That's a monumental jump up if you play that game. Keep waiting for those other amazing scheduling offers rolling into Holmoe's office

Imagine the good will you'd get from the committee if you'd said yes to that game and UW cancelled on you

You're right. It would be better than any game we've played on our schedule. Just like Utah, ASU, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri or Stanford would have been better than any of the games we've played this year. Remember, our intent was always to play a competitive quality lineup of games. We're not ducking anyone. It's why we scheduled 6 P5 games. What more proof do people need? BYU spent years of work lining up those games. That was taken away from BYU for no fault of our own. And BYU at least attempted to schedule the best available options from G5s based on last years records. Teams like Navy, Louisiana Tech, Boise State, SDSU, and Troy all had amazing records last year. It's not BYU's fault they've turned out to be crap this year. So excuse us if we're trying to enjoy our salvaged 9-0 season. We did our best, which is more than most teams would be able to claim if they were in our shoes and had their schedules ripped away at the 11th hour. Lets not forget Utah will probably only play 4 games. 

But at 9-0 we don't have to 'say yes' to such unreasonable terms. The Pac12 is making it near impossible for any team to agree to these terms, let alone a team with BYU's brand. Like l said, some BYU players have already flown home. Practices had been cancelled this week. BYU would have to spend a couple hundred grand preparing all the logistics for playing this game in a year when every team's revenues are way down, including BYU. Having UW cancel on Thursday (which is LIKELY at this point) is not worth the risk or associated costs for BYU. 

The thing that hasn't been brought up on this thread is how any of this got leaked to the media. BYU certainly didn't mention it publicly. Why couldn't UW negotiate in good faith and keep things between BYU and UW. There was no reason for any of this to be made public, because all it's done is spread a very false narrative. BYU will play UW the second the Pac12 allows them to make a guaranteed offer. Otherwise, it's very reasonable for any non-guaranteed offer to be met with some requested adjustments from the other side. 

24 minutes ago, TrueCoug said:

You're right. It would be better than any game we've played on our schedule. Just like Utah, ASU, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri or Stanford would have been better than any of the games we've played this year. Remember, our intent was always to play a competitive quality lineup of games. 

Every Team in college football is in the same boat. Nobody is feeling sorry for byu.  

But at 9-0 we don't have to 'say yes' to such unreasonable terms. The Pac12 is making it near impossible for any team to agree to these terms, let alone a team with BYU's brand. Like l said, some BYU players have already flown home. Practices had been cancelled this week. BYU would have to spend a couple hundred grand preparing all the logistics for playing this game in a year when every team's revenues are way down, including BYU. Having UW cancel on Thursday (which is LIKELY at this point) is not worth the risk or associated costs for BYU. 

- byu practiced Monday per KSL (https://www.ksl.com/article/50054682/no-8-byu-back-at-practice-to-prepare-for-san-diego-state-in-3-weeks-or-could-it-be-sooner) so much misinformation spewed out there by byu fans

- byu could easily wait till Thursday to make plans to fly, hotels, meals to Seattle, but it doesn't fit your narrative so its a ready made excuse

The thing that hasn't been brought up on this thread is how any of this got leaked to the media. BYU certainly didn't mention it publicly. Why couldn't UW negotiate in good faith and keep things between BYU and UW. There was no reason for any of this to be made public, because all it's done is spread a very false narrative. BYU will play UW the second the Pac12 allows them to make a guaranteed offer. Otherwise, it's very reasonable for any non-guaranteed offer to be met with some requested adjustments from the other side. 

- UW is competitive just like every other football team, I hope they always expose when someone pusses out on them

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

BYU's not feeling sorry for itself either. It's why they picked themself off the ground and quickly went to work on building out a new schedule. That act alone has been commended by every announcing crew on each of BYU's game. And all we've done is win every one of those games. That's more than Utah can say. They had a longer time to prepare for the season than any team in the country and still looked terrible against a mediocre USC team. A USC team that a mediocre BYU team beat last year when USC was ranked. 

I know BYU practiced Monday. I never said they didn't. They practiced with all of the players still in town. But that was because they had reason to believe at that point that a game had been worked out with UW. But then the Pac12 came in and shut things down on the "play in Utah" idea. 

BYU would have to truck out the equipment before Thursday and you know it. That costs money. Getting kids to fly back in town costs money. Reserving the chartered flight that wasn't scheduled for this week costs money. Finding a hotel that can fit 85+ people in separate rooms with cancellation fees cost money. Don't act like there's not significant money in play when preparing for an out of state game. Was Clemson lying when they said it cost them $300k to try and play FSU down in Florida? Even if they exaggerated, it's not a zero cost event. 

2 hours ago, TrueCoug said:

200.gif

v0icAvfW.jpg

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

When all is said and done, I believe Boise St will finish above UW.   Feel if BYU did play UW they would rank above Houston and below Boise St.  I feel BYU will finish ahead of both Boise St and UW.  I also doubt Pac 12 plays any non-conference team under the current terms they have set.

I know it was last season, but Washington beat up Boise in the bowl game pretty good.  I'd wager that if they played this season UW would win handily.  They are a really good team this year and the program is really strong and in a good position now.  If they played I think UW would be BYU's toughest opponent by a good margin.