Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

byu says no

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

getting skewered by the media

Unless BYU has someone better lined up, this is a bad look. Yes the cancelation policy is bad, but there's no guarantee you find somebody better for your open week. BYU has to do something to improve their SOS. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

29 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Unless BYU has someone better lined up, this is a bad look. Yes the cancelation policy is bad, but there's no guarantee you find somebody better for your open week. BYU has to do something to improve their SOS. 

This wouldn’t improve it. BYU could play their next two games against Bama and tOSU and it wouldn’t change much. It’s pretty much set at this point 80% of the way in to the year.

it won’t matter anyways. BYU had no say in how this year has gone, we’ve had a fun year, and they’ll be like 12th in the rankings so no NY6

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

BYU is the bully on the block beating up the little kids. A big kid from the next block shows up and says let’s get it on. BYU says no thanks, I only want to play the little kids where I know I’ll win. They are a paper tiger unless they accept and beat a good P5 team. 

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

This wouldn’t improve it. BYU could play their next two games against Bama and tOSU and it wouldn’t change much. It’s pretty much set at this point 80% of the way in to the year.

it won’t matter anyways. BYU had no say in how this year has gone, we’ve had a fun year, and they’ll be like 12th in the rankings so no NY6

What? You could play Bama and tOSU and your SOS wouldn't improve? I don't follow sagarin or know how they're formulated, but I doubt this claim. Even if it's not about SOS it changes perception if you beat a team like UW to potentially get a NY6 bowl. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

the mental gymnastics the byu media and fans are playing is fascinating though

I'm enjoying it.

more than I should

Scorch, I’m truly happy for you. Between your depressing post regarding COVID, being holed up in your basement, and how poorly the Utes looked Saturday night, I fully endorse you finding some joy in life.

#givethanks

Take it for what it’s worth. But the rumor mill is a better opponent for December 5th is being negotiated with fewer hoops to go thru. My guess would be Cincinnati. 

I don’t think based on Holmoe’s statement this morning any P12 games is a possibility for BYU unless the P12 picks up the tab for testing and travel. With the Thursday stipulation I don’t see that happening.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

18 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Looks like they don’t want to have a shot at the playoffs. I can’t imagine the rating committee will look favorably On BYU turning down a game with UW. 

It's not a great look, but it's not like BYU had a realistic shot at the playoffs anyway.  There would have to be a lot of losses from teams ahead of them.  A game against Washington is unlikely to move the needle on the committee's rankings.

18 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

when's the last time you beat either of those schools? 

Didn't @mugtang re-create the old College Football Data Warehouse?  Where is that?

18 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Robe, your school looks bad here.  Sorry, that is a fact.

Wrong.  How do people still not know how this works?

Probably because they are fans of teams that have never had a realistic shot of playing in a New Year's 6 game.

18 hours ago, raadsel said:

But that has nothing to do with being ranked 12 or higher. As I understand it, there will likely be one "at-large" spot for the NY6 bowls, so BYU would need to be the highest rated team not selected -- and several selected teams (due to contractual obligations) may be lower rated than BYU.

Nope.  Likely to be 3 at-large spots.  

12 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Well, BYU either needed to take the UW game or make some PR out of refusing it.  You can't just have some fans on a message board explaining why you declined it.

If their AD would come out VERY publicly and announce that they were interested in a game but could not abide by the Pac 12 policy that they could cancel the game in favor of a different team after BYU had spent deposits on charter, lodging, and have the cancellation happen while their equipment truck was halfway to Seattle.  A legit position IMO, but you fail if you keep it secret.

If you're going to puss out, explain why or all you did was puss out.

I agree that they should do that, but BYU probably doesn't want to burn any bridges.

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

BYU didn't have a game scheduled and gave the players the week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Some players are already out-of-state with their families.  It's not really fair to the players to make them come back to prepare for a game that isn't even going to actually happen.

4 minutes ago, Pelado said:

It's not a great look, but it's not like BYU had a realistic shot at the playoffs anyway.  There would have to be a lot of losses from teams ahead of them.  A game against Washington is unlikely to move the needle on the committee's rankings.

Didn't @mugtang re-create the old College Football Data Warehouse?  Where is that?

Probably because they are fans of teams that have never had a realistic shot of playing in a New Year's 6 game.

I agree that they should do that, but BYU probably doesn't want to burn any bridges.

BYU didn't have a game scheduled and gave the players the week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Some players are already out-of-state with their families.  It's not really fair to the players to make them come back to prepare for a game that isn't even going to actually happen.

^^^ I didn't realize Giuliani was a BYU fan. 

12 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

BYU is a joke and this confirms it. It's cute to watch their lemmings unflinchingly defend their antics though. Not surprising but hilarious 

As the sage @Wyovanian would say...fvck byu*

I mean it is a shit deal being offered them, they have a point there.  However sometimes you need to eat the shit sandwich.  The optics of saying no could end up costing a lot more than the 200k or so of not getting reimbursed for travel expenses.  This is a once a decade type team for BYU (it would be a once a decade team for any MWC school as well.).

21 minutes ago, Pelado said:

I shut it down because it was a financial drain. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater