Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

SJSU at Boise State - 2pm MT (1pm PT) on FOX (not FSN1 or FSN2)

Good. Now put on a good show for the country to watch. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

33 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

Sparty is very capable of winning this game 

Agree.  However it turns out though, it should be a good matchup to represent the MWC to the rest of the country.

Here's what truly sucks for San Jose State. A loss to Boise State and wins over Hawaii and Nevada would still not get the Spartans into the MWC Championship Game if Nevada's loss to San Jose State is their only loss of the season. In that scenario, Nevada would finish with a 7-1 record, ahead of a 6-1 San Jose State team. That makes SJSU's game with Boise State huge for the Spartans. A win over Boise State and Hawaii gets them into the championship game, regardless of the Nevada outcome. A loss to Boise State really limits their chance of making the championship game, and would mean San Jose State fans would be cheering hard for Fresno State to beat Nevada. Damn you Aztecs for not pulling yesterday's game against Nevada out of your asses.

Champ Logo.jpg

Correction. Someone on the SJSU board pointed out that the rule states that, in the case of an unbalanced schedule, when two teams finish tied (in the loss column) the head-to-head outcome takes precedence over the win percentage. So, if SJSU were to defeat Nevada , and finish 6-1, they would be selected over a 7-1 Nevada team. 

Champ Logo.jpg

Fools!  Fox is going to get so many complaints they will not show a Boise home game again in the OTA channel.  The rating will be pretty low because the blinding blue field will cause the viewers to turn away from the channel.

22 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

Correction. Someone on the SJSU board pointed out that the rule states that, in the case of an unbalanced schedule, when two teams finish tied (in the loss column) the head-to-head outcome takes precedence over the win percentage. So, if SJSU were to defeat Nevada , and finish 6-1, they would be selected over a 7-1 Nevada team. 

I thought it was based on winning percentage so a 7-1 Nevada would have a .875 winning percentage and SJSU would have a 85.71 winning percentage.  But I could be wrong.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I thought it was based on winning percentage so a 7-1 Nevada would have a .875 winning percentage and SJSU would have a 85.71 winning percentage.  But I could be wrong.

Here's how the rule reads...

"The Championship Game representatives will be determined by the best winning percentages within the Conference. In the event of an un-balanced schedule, where there is a tie for the best, or second best, record in the loss column, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage as long as the required number of Conference games were completed. If the teams remain tied (and did not play each other), the tiebreaking procedures will be applied to determine the Championship Game representatives."

The only question I have is, what constitutes "the required number of Conference games"? The schedules were set up so that every school played 8 games. If there is an unbalance to the conference schedule between two schools, then one school had a game(s) cancelled. 

Champ Logo.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike Morgan said:

"The Championship Game representatives will be determined by the best winning percentages within the Conference. In the event of an un-balanced schedule, where there is a tie for the best, or second best, record in the loss column, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage as long as the required number of Conference games were completed. If the teams remain tied (and did not play each other), the tiebreaking procedures will be applied to determine the Championship Game representatives."

The only question I have is, what constitutes "the required number of Conference games"? The schedules were set up so that every school played 8 games. If there is an unbalance to the conference schedule between two schools, then one school had a game(s) cancelled. 

6 conference games played was the minimum to be eligible for the championship, but due to cancellations it might be 5.

All of the details are here: https://themw.com/documents/2020/10/1/2020_MW_Football_Championship_Tiebreakers.pdf

1 hour ago, Mike Morgan said:

5 minutes ago, idkk said:

6 conference games played was the minimum to be eligible for the championship, but due to cancellations it might be 5.

All of the details are here: https://themw.com/documents/2020/10/1/2020_MW_Football_Championship_Tiebreakers.pdf

Reading the rules I believe the 7-1 & 6-1 scenario is covered under “example 1”. So if Nevada’s only loss is to SJSU and finishes 7-1 and SJSU is 6-1 then SJSU would get into the title game.  But with our governor cancelling sports who knows.