Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Pre-Season MBB: Rank'em

44 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Top Three

Aztecs.    Rebs.     Rams

Dark Horses

Boise.        Utags

Hopeful things come together

Pack.       Fresno

Hoping for an extended Covid pause

AFA.  

UNM @ LV

Sparty

Poke - mon

Pretty accurate. I really feel the top 5 could end up in any order

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Pretty accurate. I really feel the top 5 could end up in any order

I almost agree.  I'm pretty solid on SDSU at #1.  The next four?  Hell, it could just come down to Covid.  CSU is already out until conference at least.  Boise just played Hawaii with over 10% of their roster out, that's a much bigger hit in BB.  The only sure thing in my mind is that there are more hits coming for all of us.

8 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I almost agree.  I'm pretty solid on SDSU at #1.  The next four?  Hell, it could just come down to Covid.  CSU is already out until conference at least.  Boise just played Hawaii with over 10% of their roster out, that's a much bigger hit in BB.  The only sure thing in my mind is that there are more hits coming for all of us.

With COVID you could lose a key player or two and be a completely different team. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Rosters are never set in stone. Players are hurt or have other issues every year. Covid is easier to deal with than an ACL. Teams and players have a certain amount of control over their destinies. Once play starts it will always be a crapshoot. The better teams are supposed to be better because of depth as well so I won’t buy into the injury or Covid excuse scenarios. Just throw it up and let em sort it out on the floor.

As far as ranking go SUDS is the leader till someone takes it away from them. The bottom 2 or 3 will remain there and the others are in a dog fight just like last year. 

Hard to pick The Lobos above .500 with no OOC games to shake off rust and a weird practice schedule. This may be a one bid league

1. San Diego State

2. Boise

3. Utah State

4. Nevada

5. Fresno

6. UNLV

7. Colorado State

8. New Mexico

9. Air Force

10. Wyoming

11. San Jose State

3 to 7 is kind of a wash for me. I could see those ending up in any order

SDSU 

BSU 

UNLV

CSU

USU

UNR

WYO 

UNM

FSU

SJSU

AF

Top 6 could all win the conference, but to start I have to go on what we know is returning and what has been proven on the court.  Until newcomers prove themselves, I don't take them into the equation right now.  I truly believe UNLV has the most upside, but that could be said many times in the past and they've fallen on their face.   Overall, this should be a fun season.

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I'm less sold on SDSU. The favorite, for sure, but I wouldn't be too surprised is another of those five won the league. SDSU was 11-7 the year before Malichi and Wetzel came in last year. Losing those two is significant.

On the Covid, 100% agree. It's gunna be a weird season, like the football one has been.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

It will be less of an issue as the season goes along.  The vaccine is here!

Incorrect. The vaccine won't roll out until after the season is over. And when it does, college athletes aren't going to be a high priority for the limited amount that will be available

8 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I'm less sold on SDSU. The favorite, for sure, but I wouldn't be too surprised is another of those five won the league. SDSU was 11-7 the year before Malichi and Wetzel came in last year. Losing those two is significant.

On the Covid, 100% agree. It's gunna be a weird season, like the football one has been.

While SDSU is no lock, comparing teams in that manner is suspect.  The team two years ago had no real leader, no true big, a good Watson, but emotional and inconsistent Hemsley for guards, and green talent on the bench.  With the frontcourt holding experience and depth, the question will be if Gomez and Pulliam can be good, and with Seiko and a pair of freshmen, depth may be there too.  I will not even consider last year to be replicated, but I don't think we are reverting back to 18-19, in terms of play.  With the schedule change, and the league being better, perhaps the record could be that similar way (12-8), but I can't see it being the players, this squad would likely beat up the 18-19 team.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Incorrect. The vaccine won't roll out until after the season is over. And when it does, college athletes aren't going to be a high priority for the limited amount that will be available

It comes out next month.

11 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Covid scheduling makes it near impossible to keep track but Nevada looks like it will play Wed, against Either North Dakota St or McNees State.  Followed up on Thursday with a game against Nebraska.  All subject to change , of course..

15 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks for posting, there are some good games in the first few days despite the pandemic throwing everyone's schedules off. Hopefully the conference can grab a couple of wins from the Cal, Wichita State, UCLA, and Houston games. 

USU will also be playing either West Virginia or South Dakota State on Thanksgiving and one of the Memphis/St Mary's/Northern Iowa/Western Kentucky group on Friday depending on how the tournament shakes out. Everyone pray the number of cancellations is minimal...

5 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Covid scheduling makes it near impossible to keep track but Nevada looks like it will play Wed, against Either North Dakota St or McNees State.  Followed up on Thursday with a game against Nebraska.  All subject to change , of course..

Thanks for the clarification.  I just pulled them from ESPN because the MWC website doesn't even have non-conference games listed on the site. Really excited to see this week's games. If things go our way the conference could have multiple ranked teams heading into conference play.