Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Pre-Season MBB: Rank'em

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

While SDSU is no lock, comparing teams in that manner is suspect.  The team two years ago had no real leader, no true big, a good Watson, but emotional and inconsistent Hemsley for guards, and green talent on the bench.  With the frontcourt holding experience and depth, the question will be if Gomez and Pulliam can be good, and with Seiko and a pair of freshmen, depth may be there too.  I will not even consider last year to be replicated, but I don't think we are reverting back to 18-19, in terms of play.  With the schedule change, and the league being better, perhaps the record could be that similar way (12-8), but I can't see it being the players, this squad would likely beat up the 18-19 team.

SDSU's best teams always have that one backbone leader. That showed again last year with Malichi. I'd be shocked if Pulliam could fill that roll. Gomez will certainly provide some of the scoring punch lost in Flynn, but at 5'8" how is he not going to be a defensive liability? 

Like I said, they should be good, but when they are really good is when they do have that one guy who is the clear leader of the team. I'm not sure who that would be right now. If someone steps up into that roll, they could certainly be really, really good

On 11/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, kingpotato said:

Who were you responding to and who above them will they finish higher than? I can't imagine anyone (outside of UNRfan) would have them above any of these; SDSU, USU, BSU, UNLV, CSU. All of those teams were either on par or better than UNR and return a lot more.

unlv and usu for starters

we have unproven but on paper good players!

3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I am unconvinced the league is better this year.

I can understand being a Nevada fan. Boise State, UNLV, and CSU will be better. USU and SDSU may not be better, but both will be very good. Wyoming can’t help but be better. UNM and Fresno State are treading water. SJSU and Air Force will bring up the rear.

Half the league will be very good. The other half will likely be the same or better than last year. The only team to significantly slip IMO is Nevada. 

I didn't think the conference was all that good last year either..

The teams at the top are good each year..The teams at the bottom are not so good..The teams in the middle mostly just beat each other up..

We generally only get two teams in if there is an upset in the conference tourney..

It is a fun conference, though..There tends to be quite a bit of parity..

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Incorrect. They are hoping to start in April

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/us/covid-vaccine-ca.amp.html

California alone will have 2 million doses of vaccine by the end of the year.

What makes no sense to me is why they wouldn’t give it to vulnerable populations first.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/us/covid-vaccine-ca.amp.html

What makes no sense to me is why they wouldn’t give it to vulnerable populations first.

They will.  A friend of mine's mom is some mucky-muck for a chain of nursing homes.  She said they already have enough stockpiled for staff and residents.  Just waiting for the go-ahead to start sticking people.

16 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I can't read that article, but I've read, watched, and listened to no less than 20 articles/shows and all say the December release will be for high risk and health care workers. I haven't read a single one that says it will be available to the general population before April. 

I just goggled it again, first article; "The general healthy U.S. population is expected to have access beginning in April, according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious disease expert."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6359544002

57 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I can't read that article, but I've read, watched, and listened to no less than 20 articles/shows and all say the December release will be for high risk and health care workers. I haven't read a single one that says it will be available to the general population before April. 

I just goggled it again, first article; "The general healthy U.S. population is expected to have access beginning in April, according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious disease expert."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6359544002

I think that article is a bit on the skeptical side and makes a few assumptions that could be challenged (and I won't because this isn't the board for that), but is mostly in line with most of what I've read.  I anticipate that medical workers and extremely high risk individuals will be vaccinated for the most part by the end of December.  I don't think it's overoptimistic at all to expect the ability to immunize 90% of the population by the end of March.

However, bear in mind that not everyone needs immunized.  As immunization increases, the statistical probability of spreading the virus decreases on an ever increasing rate.  While it won't eliminate it, 50% immunization will likely reduce the spread to a level where all of these other measures are no longer justifiable.  Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should get the vaccine in order to weed out the pockets where it might survive the 50% herd immunity, but at 50% it becomes a pain in the ass as opposed to a pandemic.

Also, and I may be wrong but I don't think I am, the 40 million doses mentioned was for Moderna only (which is 20 million people).  There are two other vaccines in full production that are being presented to the FDA for emergency use approval.

Finally, and I'll end my diatribe, the article mentions that there is a concern whether the vaccines completely prevent the virus, or just keep people from getting sick from it.  Who cares?  Isn't the point just to keep people from getting sick from it?  In the long run it would be good to eliminate it, but for now we can get the US and world economy back if everyone is just out of danger, even if they do get infected.

Face it...we get past Covid 19 and we get to start looking forward to Covid 21, or 25 or whatever.  This is the most important thing we can do, but it's only a temporary stop gap while we develop more advanced therapeutics and civilized protocols to deal with the next bug that sneaks out of the lab.