Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

Aztecs @ Wolf Pack Game Thread

22 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Strong played much better this week. He thought he would torch the lobos last week and the Lobos stepped up. He took what the Aztecs gave him this week.

Last week was a dress rehearsal for the blitz packages he would see. Give credit to the Pack O-line and Rbs. They held their ground for the most part.

The Aztecs continually threw their best blitzers at them from every angle. They just seemed to be a step slow.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

12 minutes ago, westfan said:

Thank you defense! :cheers:

The second quarter Aztec D that gave up three drive extending penalties, resulting in a TD, says you are welcome.

Plus, they dropped a pick in the end zone that wound up being a fg.

:digging:

:shots:

Americans Mayor

Great game SDSU.  Both teams deserved to win... and lose quite honesty due to mistakes, playcalling, coaching, clock management, etc.  

I was convinced Nevada let one slip away with the pick at the end of the game.  It’s been a long time where we can hang our Wolf Pack hat on our defense.  

good luck the rest of the season!

6 minutes ago, Packfan11.1 said:

Great game SDSU.  Both teams deserved to win... and lose quite honesty due to mistakes, playcalling, coaching, clock management, etc.  

I was convinced Nevada let one slip away with the pick at the end of the game.  It’s been a long time where we can hang out Wolf Pack hat on our defense.  

good luck the rest of the season!

Good post.

Im trying to think of the last time the Pack D delivered like that in a big game. We’ve had spots and sequences over the years where they have. But I’m coming up blank as to when we got a flat out A++ second half like that. NevaDa!

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Still dumbfounded why Norvell would call a pass play at the end of the game like that.  Run the ball three times, make SDSU burn all of their time outs, and force the SDSU offense to drive the length of the field with no timeouts and about 2:00 to beat you.  I could see it perhaps if our offense was capable of scoring quick and had momentum, but it was just the opposite...

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

When did your qb get banged up? It felt like he was the second coming of senior season Kap in the first half. After that it was clear that mobile third dimension of the offense wasn’t a threat. That’s my theory at least.

He wussy-slid (before contact) on a run that he basically forgot how to slide.  It was a weird play.  No obvious injury, but far from graceful...

3 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I don't know if I'd call our WR's studs - at least yet anyway...

They made quite a few athletic catches in the first half.

The shitty second half was on the Pack front five owning our O line. Questionable play calling didn't help either.

Americans Mayor

5 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Still dumbfounded why Norvell would call a pass play at the end of the game like that.  Run the ball three times, make SDSU burn all of their time outs, and force the SDSU offense to drive the length of the field with no timeouts and about 2:00 to beat you.  I could see it perhaps if our offense was capable of scoring quick and had momentum, but it was just the opposite...

As a pack fan, as well as our D had been playing, as atrocious as your offense had been; I was terrified of giving you guys the ball back. Normally I trust our receivers to run good routes and Strong to make a good read. It was awful execution. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Two comments on the game:

Doubs is really really good and is going to make a great living in the NFL. First round guy draft pick for sure. 

The Aztecs QBs are substandard. It blows my mind they are located in QB talent rich SoCal and can’t recruit a decent FBS QB. 

5 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I think it was a good play call on offense.  SDSU just had a better defensive play called. 

Both Carson and Dobbs weren't expecting that DB to sit there like that.  If Carson was able to see it a split second earlier,  a pump fake and a toss to  Stovall would have been to the house.  It could have been instinct on that DB sitting there and letting Stovall go, I don't remember seeing any safety covering the top.

The Under Rated Play of the Game

Nevada Fullback Toa Taua strips Aztec linebacker Cole Donald of a potential pic after he batted a pass into the air. The Wolf Pack kicked a FG a couple of plays later.

Americans Mayor

Here's the thing though.  Even if Dobbs catches that pass and gets a first down it accomplished almost nothing.  Reno still has to burn clock and SDSU's time outs.  They'd have to get likely 2-3 more first downs to kill the clock and end the game.

If it is incomplete then you save a timeout for SDSU by stopping the clock.  And it's not like SDSU's defense had been shutting down the run.  IMO too much risk to take when the SDSU couldn't do a damn thing all half.   

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Two comments on the game:

Doubs is really really good and is going to make a great living in the NFL. First round guy draft pick for sure. 

The Aztecs QBs are substandard. It blows my mind they are located in QB talent rich SoCal and can’t recruit a decent FBS QB. 

Aztec pregame show talked about three top P5 QBs and 5 wrs that are San Diego boys. Because the Aztecs prefer to run, the top recruits leave town.

Americans Mayor

31 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Good post.

Im trying to think of the last time the Pack D delivered like that in a big game. We’ve had spots and sequences over the years where they have. But I’m coming up blank as to when we got a flat out A++ second half like that. NevaDa!

2010...+++++ u