Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

Latest Renderings Of Spartan Athletic Center - Stadium Project

This past week, the Cal-State Board of Trustees reviewed and signed off on Phase 1 build of San Jose State's Spartan Athletic Center (SAC) project in CEFCU Stadium. Included in the presentation that was made were these renderings. SJSU fans were shocked to not see a rebuilt east side seating structure included in the renderings. Athletic Director Marie Tuite has since explained that the presentation that was submitted for approval was only for the portion of the project that was specific the building of the SAC, which is Phase 1 of the building project, and that there will be a second phase that rebuilds the east side stands. So, in all likelihood, there will probably be a period of time that the east side of the stadium will have extremely limited seating. I'm sure there will be people on this site, who have been critical/skeptical of the project from the get-go, that will try and paint this in such a way as to claim that SJSU will forever not have a large seating structure on the east side of the stadium, but that is far from the truth. The focus at this point should be on the SAC building itself. The latest images of the structure show it much larger and much more impressive than the previous renderings. That is to be expected as the project has grown from and estimate of $40m to now at approximately $54m

SAC Building 1.jpg

SAC Phase 1.jpg

SAC Level 1.jpg

SAC Level 2.jpg

SAC - South Campus.jpg

Champ Logo.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

Looks like SJSU will have a very similar stadium to Cal Poly, eventually.

One sideline is mostly an athletic building, with very limited seating in front of it.

Cal-Poly-2-e1503909208469.jpg?fit=700,40

dGyiWo0oRPazP4eqOrU0_spanoswide.jpg

Sorry Mike, but you just don't know.

If you want to see how it SHOULD have been done, read our homer board. SpartyUpGuy knows all about fund raising, design building a radius structure the length of a football field at prevailing wage on bare land, you name it. Just like fresno did, 50 years ago, cuz it's totally the same. /lamesarcasm

The SAC design is as ambitious as it is practical. The concourse outline incorporates the building into the stadium footprint really well. It's night and day compared to our traditional half azzed approach of throwing up a shed here, and a trailer there. The old timers don't like b/c it doesn't remind them of Elway or Walsh. I'm glad Marie is telling them to get with it or shut up.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

That will be a nice facility. Now that it is going forward and is tangible to people, hopefully more donors step up. I saw that the financing plan is up to $44 million in bonds and up to $2.7 million in annual debt service. It would be good if that can be reduced.

Hard to tell from those renderings, but the building placement does seem to create a constraint on the number of rows for a future east side seating rebuild. It gives the appearance of leaving room for less seating on that side compared to the old berm seating. Any idea if the east side will be able to return to the old capacity in the future?

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Looks like SJSU will have a very similar stadium to Cal Poly, eventually.

One sideline is mostly an athletic building, with very limited seating in front of it.

Cal-Poly-2-e1503909208469.jpg?fit=700,40

dGyiWo0oRPazP4eqOrU0_spanoswide.jpg

That building at Cal Poly only contains skyboxes, the press box, and the west side restrooms. There are no other facilities.

Spanos Stadium sits up against a street with railroad tracks across the street. They could not move the street and tracks to accommodate additional building space. There is nothing below the boxes and restroom to allow the street to pass underneath.

img_0212.jpg

30 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

That will be a nice facility. Now that it is going forward and is tangible to people, hopefully more donors step up. I saw that the financing plan is up to $44 million in bonds and up to $2.7 million in annual debt service. It would be good if that can be reduced.

Hard to tell from those renderings, but the building placement does seem to create a constraint on the number of rows for a future east side seating rebuild. It gives the appearance of leaving room for less seating on that side compared to the old berm seating. Any idea if the east side will be able to return to the old capacity in the future?

The east side berm section that was removed held approximately 9,000 people. Whatever seating configuration replaces that section long term is not expected to hold that many. So, when all is said and done the stadium capacity will be less than 30k, probably by a sizable margin. At its peak, before the field widening and recent removal of seating, the stadium held just over 31k. My rough guess will be around 25-26k. 

Champ Logo.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Mike Morgan said:

The east side berm section that was removed held approximately 9,000 people. Whatever seating configuration replaces that section long term is not expected to hold that many. So, when all is said and done the stadium capacity will be less than 30k, probably by a sizable margin. At its peak, before the field widening and recent removal of seating, the stadium held just over 31k. My rough guess will be around 25-26k. 

Honestly, not a terrible size for a MWC stadium in the Bay Area.  Better to make is nice, rather than large.

Tulane's new stadium is fairly small but looks like it is pretty nice.

So it will basically be a new stadium. I'm all for that. But I'm getting up there in years and hope I'm still alive to see it finished. :oldman: Go Spartans! 

It’s really nice for what it is, but not having a decent number of seats on that side, the one that the TV audience sees all game long, it just screams nice FCS. Sorry, not trolling, but no real seating on that side is embarrassing for SJSU and the MWC. That the kind of thing you put on an endzone, not a sideline. 

kat.jpg

33 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

It’s really nice for what it is, but not having a decent number of seats on that side, the one that the TV audience sees all game long, it just screams nice FCS. Sorry, not trolling, but no real seating on that side is embarrassing for SJSU and the MWC. That the kind of thing you put on an endzone, not a sideline. 

Can't disagree with you there. Hopefully that side is the student section (and students show up). Then at least it'll be a good atmosphere for the limited seating.

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

It's also possible that the camera platforms will be repositioned as part of the remodeling process.  There was very little electrical or communication infrastructure on the old east side.  I imagine that it will now surpass what the west side currently has, so maybe everything will move around.  

23 minutes ago, SpartanDude said:

It's also possible that the camera platforms will be repositioned as part of the remodeling process.  There was very little electrical or communication infrastructure on the old east side.  I imagine that it will now surpass what the west side currently has, so maybe everything will move around.  

Yes, that would be nice. Show the home side of the stadium for a change. 

Nice renderings.  The designs echos both Art Deco and mid century modern designs that you see in and around San Jose in the immediate vicinity of the university.  The ability to host the WTA's Amidala (sp?) Classic and other professional tennis tournaments seems to have resulted in a design for the entire block as an event space for live television which benefits football and other sports at SJSU.

I notice the floorplan of the SAC has second floor meeting rooms along the entire second level that can easily become game day suites or camera locations.  The afternoon sun is strong on that side so having shaded seating is great.  Good point about switching the backdrop to the western stands where 80% of fans are sitting.  Regular season UCLA games at the Rose Bowl or that other team who plays in the Coliseum have this phenomena too but those stadiums are fully enclosed so the TV cameras can shoot the fans better.  The suites capacity should be included in calculating the revamped overall capacity of CEFCU stadium along with whatever the new seating along the field is and whatever the listed capacity of grass seating would be.

Regarding the seating itself, the likely option is the bleacher seating in the new north end zone would be placed along the east side.  I'm not exactly sure how many seats are in the project but you can see from the photo announcing its completion https://sjsuspartans.com/news/2020/10/30/football-spartans-upgrade-cefcu-stadium-with-state-of-the-art-scoreboard.aspx that there are twelve levels of seats.  The western lower stands have better seats that are more expensive to install but they might put those kind of seats in to justify a better ticket price for mid field seating.