Joe from WY

Broken ribs

Anyone ever here ever have broken ribs? I ate shit a couple nights ago, landed on my side and broke 2 of them; good +++++ing god does it hurt. At least nothing got displaced and they're "just" cracked...and they gave me some painkillers for it. That definitely helps. But ol' Joe has been a hurting unit the last couple days. 

• Sad 7
3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Anyone ever here ever have broken ribs? I ate shit a couple nights ago, landed on my side and broke 2 of them; good +++++ing god does it hurt. At least nothing got displaced and they're "just" cracked...and they gave me some painkillers for it. That definitely helps. But ol' Joe has been a hurting unit the last couple days. 

Im sorry bud, that sounds no bueno.  Ive had bruised ribs but never broken.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Happened to me years ago playing soccer. Unfortunately not much to do but just wait it out. Sneezing is agony. 

Laughing is about as bad too. And yeah, that's what I've been told. It's just going to be a wait. 

14 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Im sorry bud, that sounds no bueno.  Ive had bruised ribs but never broken.

I'm sure bruised ones hurt like hell too. I never realized how interconnected one's ribs were to the rest of one's body until this. Every move has the potential to set it off. I'm sure I'll be OK though. 

About three years ago, I was walking w/a friend, and of course dogs because otherwise that would be weird, at a dog park.  Fencing for winter had created a narrow channel to walk and dogs to play.  A young 70-lbs. pit-mix was chasing another dog full speed down a slight incline.  The chased dog peeled off, but the pit-mix didn't and clipped me at full speed w/only 0.001 sec. warning.  I went flying landing on my ribs (back/left) and head.  I thought it was a hospital trip, but after  a few mts., I made it to my truck.  That was bad enough, but about five days later I slipped on a wet floor and landed on the same injured ribs.  Bad to miserable. 

I don't know if they were cracked, broken, or just bruised, but it was a full two months before near normal and aching continued for months.

Don't sneeze.

• Cheers 1
52 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I have...  didn’t learn my lesson from it either.  Crashed my quad at the sand dunes more than a month ago now, and although I didn’t actually break ribs this time, it’s been a fun month or so.  😂.  Hang in there, it sucks royally but will get better.  A wrap helps, but don’t leave it on too long.

• Cheers 1
57 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Quit being a pussy and rub some dirt on it like a real Wyoming Cowboy would do!!! Jeez, you’re starting to act like a whiney assed CSU fan!  ;)

• Haha 9

Been there done that. I've been run into twice by skiers twice my size.

Smoke loads of Cannabis, squeeze your ribs tightly when sneezing, laughing or coughing.

One day, in a future that seems far, far away, you'll wake up, and your pain level will be at a 9 instead of 23.

• Cheers 1

I feel for you dude. It’s one of the more painful injuries you can get. It hurts to breathe and laughing, sneezing, or coughing are agony. You’ll get a little relief in several weeks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wyoguns said:

Quit being a pussy and rub some dirt on it like a real Wyoming Cowboy would do!!! Jeez, you’re starting to act like a whiney assed CSU fan!  ;)

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Screw your pain!

We want details of the "crash and burn" 

It's true. I'm getting softer in my old age. I actually lasted a whole day before I went to the ER. I went out to smoke the other night and on my way back inside I tripped over the step in and landed on my side on some concrete. So I got up the next day, and spent it in agony. I googled "right side pain" and immediately I was flooded with things like "you have liver failure", but then I saw the bruise/gash and realized it was probably broken ribs. I spent the next few hours thinking "+++++, my lungs are probably punctured and filling with fluid". I chainsmoked and was paranoid. 

Then, I put on the Seahawks game. It looked like they were going to blow it again, and I thought "if they win, I'll go to the ER, if they lose, I'm not going to go to the ER because they'll either tell me I'm dying of cancer or to 'chew on some shoe leather if you have pain'". But then they won and I went. And they told me I had 2 cracked ribs. And I got some painkillers and I've been sort of recovering, or at least trying not to writhe in pain the last couple days. And staying active because apparently you can get pneumonia if you aren't careful. 

It was the first bone I've broken in 32 years on this rock. I guess I had to pop the cherry sometime. 

• Cheers 1

Sorry to hear it. A close friend broke a couple ribs a few years ago. This is a guy who runs in Tough Mudders, and he described the pain as excrutiating and debilitating.

Hope you heal quickly and feel better soon - those monster plants trees of yours aren't going to take care of themselves! :hookah:

• Cheers 1
1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

It's true. I'm getting softer in my old age. I actually lasted a whole day before I went to the ER. I went out to smoke the other night and on my way back inside I tripped over the step in and landed on my side on some concrete. So I got up the next day, and spent it in agony. I googled "right side pain" and immediately I was flooded with things like "you have liver failure", but then I saw the bruise/gash and realized it was probably broken ribs. I spent the next few hours thinking "+++++, my lungs are probably punctured and filling with fluid". I chainsmoked and was paranoid. 

Then, I put on the Seahawks game. It looked like they were going to blow it again, and I thought "if they win, I'll go to the ER, if they lose, I'm not going to go to the ER because they'll either tell me I'm dying of cancer or to 'chew on some shoe leather if you have pain'". But then they won and I went. And they told me I had 2 cracked ribs. And I got some painkillers and I've been sort of recovering, or at least trying not to writhe in pain the last couple days. And staying active because apparently you can get pneumonia if you aren't careful. 

It was the first bone I've broken in 32 years on this rock. I guess I had to pop the cherry sometime. 

Dude wait until you're in your forties and suddenly find yourself injured without the first f*cking clue what you did to injure yourself in the first place. :ph34r:

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 3
17 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Miles City bars are brutal.

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Dude wait until you're in your forties and suddenly find yourself injured without the first f*cking clue what you did to injure yourself in the first place. :ph34r:

Or mid fifties.

A decade ago I had business in the Bay Area for three days and was scheduled to be there for a fourth but we all agreed to go late the third day. I stayed another night and moved my flight up to mid morning. While stupidly hurrying that morning I slipped in the shower and cracked two ribs. I knew it hurt but thought they were just bruised but every little bump on the flight back to SoCal hurt like a mofo so I went immediately to the ER upon landing.

Joe, you've got my empathy man. Even with oxycodone I had to sleep sitting up the first few nights and as NorCal said, it took just about six weeks for the pain to go away entirely. Sure made me appreciate the manliness of NFL players who have suffered broken ribs half a dozen times.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
23 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I'm not quite 40 yet (but close), and that's a semi-regular occurrence for me. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Shit, I hurt myself getting out of bed in the morning.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Probably happened during one of the 12 grocery store fights you started over someone not wearing a mask...  😂 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Sorry to hear. Risk is pretty low though. Less than 2% aggregate, and you're young, so it's lower than that. Definitely goes up if you are inactive though.

• Like 1