Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Runnin' Rebel Fever - The Best Era of Las Vegas

Fun facts.  Three Rebels were drafted in 1987.  Armen Gilliam (#2 overall), Freddie Banks (#24, a second round pick) and Gary Graham (#126).  Only Gilliam played a game in the NBA.

That '87 Draft was seven rounds and 161 picks.  In 1988, it was cut to three rounds and 75 picks and the following year, the modern two rounds (54 picks then).

The PCAA had five draft picks in '87.  UNLV's three, with New Mexico State and UC Santa Barbara getting one each.

Side note. Chris Wood just signed with Houston for $41mil. Had he played with even a tenth of the energy he has done for the last few years, while he was at UNLV, Dave Rice might not have lost his job in quite the way he did. Otoh, Dave Rice should have sat his (and a few others') ass on the bench a few times, and maybe his tenure would have been a bit different.

DJ also just signed with Portland for $29 mil.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Side note. Chris Wood just signed with Houston for $41mil. Had he played with even a tenth of the energy he has done for the last few years, while he was at UNLV, Dave Rice might not have lost his job in quite the way he did. Otoh, Dave Rice should have sat his (and a few others') ass on the bench a few times, and maybe his tenure would have been a bit different.

Dave had everything going his way except the ability to command respect and coach. So sad.

Times change and so do coaches. Dave is where he should be and we finally have a capable coach and staff. Having a capable AD makes all the difference.

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

This was the best era in Las Vegas....but the Rebs' heyday is definitely a close runner up. 

rat-pack-at-the-sands-2.jpg

Thanks for your opinion, Joe not from Las Vegas. 

7 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Otzelberger completely changed Bryce Hamilton.  No way that would’ve happened under Dave Rice.

10 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Now I'm going to be hearing 'Runnin' Rebel Fever' playing in my head all day, lol.

Good times. (and gotta love the typo, lol)

My favorite song. I play a mean version on the ukulele.

IMG_20201121_144201.jpg

9 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Records are back!

More vinyl was sold last year than cd's.

I still have my vinyl collection from the 60’s and 70’s along with my turntable. It just hasn’t been hooked up in 30 years. I’d still need a spacer to turn that 45. It was great time to be a Runnin Rebel fan. I have the HBO special in my library and plan to watch it just before the start of the season. Great memories.

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Rip Armon, and to Valerie Pida, who made an appearance there as well.

Fun games in that video, I remember them all, :thumbsup:. These videos just show a glimpse of the craziness surrounding the rebels at that time. Something most on this board will never experience. I'm sorry for them, lol.

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

I still have my vinyl collection from the 60’s and 70’s along with my turntable. It just hasn’t been hooked up in 30 years. I’d still need a spacer to turn that 45. It was great time to be a Runnin Rebel fan. I have the HBO special in my library and plan to watch it just before the start of the season. Great memories.

I just bought an old full size stereo, it's probably about 5 feet long.. The sound is fantastic, the speakers could blast the roof off my house. Oh, and it plays 8 tracks, too! The people I bought it from included a couple, my kids didn't know what they were, lol.