mugtang

The GOP has lost it

On 3/17/2021 at 5:48 PM, FresnoFacts said:

I wonder if Mary Carey would seriously consider running again. She ran and lost in the 2003 recall but things are so wacky these days that....???

I like Mary because I'm not down with additives and she's 100% authentic. 

Especially from the top of her shoulders to the top of her legs.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:08 PM, CPslograd said:

What the unions support is a seperate issue than what its members support.

I was specifically talking about what the unions do, not how individual public union members vote. The public safety unions have historically backed democrats.  I 

That's still not accurate.

Unlike teachers' unions, which are closely allied with the Democratic Party, police unions, while still favoring the Democrats, come closer to splitting their contributions between the two major parties. 

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/the-trouble-with-police-unions

34 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Well, I had to click the thread to see what this was about.  A GA Dem State Senator got arrested for Disturbing the General Assembly, and later obstruction of law enforcement for stomping on the officers foot after apprehension.  Here is an article about what started that.

Atlanta Journal-Courier

Gov. Brian Kemp quickly signed a vast rewrite of Georgia’s election rules into law Thursday, imposing voter ID requirements, limiting drop boxes and allowing state takeovers of local elections after last year’s close presidential race.

Kemp finalized the bill just over an hour after it cleared the General Assembly, leaving no doubt about its fate amid public pressure against voting restrictions.

“Significant reforms to our state elections were needed. There’s no doubt there were many alarming issues with how the election was handled, and those problems, understandably, led to a crisis of confidence in the ballot box here in Georgia,” Kemp said after signing the bill.

Reads like "we lost, we have to ensure we don't lose again"

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Georgia has also apparently made it illegal to hand out bottles of water to people waiting in line to vote. 

I have no problem with that.  Otherwise there could be a "pay for vote" notion going on.  But watch legislation start for state elections to take place in the summer.  :whistle:

On 3/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Unlike teachers' unions, which are closely allied with the Democratic Party, police unions, while still favoring the Democrats, come closer to splitting their contributions between the two major parties. 

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/the-trouble-with-police-unions

I dont think they will be splitting their contributions moving forward.

29 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I dont think they will be splitting their contributions moving forward.

So you think police unions will oppose the Pro Act? Cutting off their noses to spite their faces; but hey, they’ll own the libs and that’s all that ultimately matters.

33 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So you think police unions will oppose the Pro Act? Cutting off their noses to spite their faces; but hey, they’ll own the libs and that’s all that ultimately matters.

I think if democrats keep talking about defunding the police then yes, public safety unions will shift their donations.

Its not complicated.

On 3/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

So you post a link that states public safety unions traditionally favor democrats, which was my exact point?

I dont get it.  You agree with me?

52 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/10/14/police-reform-police-unions-qualified-immunity-democratic-party-420122

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nyc-ends-qualified-immunity-police-officers

42 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I think if democrats keep talking about defunding the police then yes, public safety unions will shift their donations.

Its not complicated.

You’re right, it isn’t complicated. As long as cities “talk” about defunding the police and don’t actually do it, police unions aren’t going to give a shit about rhetoric. In my city we had BLM and defund the police protests, and our city council literally just voted to increase the police budget to 45% of the cities budget. And that’s in an overwhelmingly Democratic and non-white city with 6 of the 7 city council members Democrats; the deciding vote was a DSA endorsed candidate. The public pressure is gone, nobody is going to actually “defund the police”.  The Police Union here is not going to only back the Republican candidates that aren’t going to win, that would be flushing money down the toilet. 

And just an FYI, cutting a police budget by 2-3% is not defunding the police, in case you were wanting to dig up some cities making token gestures like that to try and appease farther left voters in their cities. What defund the police protesters actually want is huge cuts to the police budget and other departments formed to deal with homeless, mental health, and domestic violence situations. That’s not going to happen. But of course Republicans will probably run on it for another 2-3 election cycles anyway, and sheep will believe them; it is what it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

You’re right, it isn’t complicated. As long as cities “talk” about defunding the police and don’t actually do it, police unions aren’t going to give a shit about rhetoric. In my city we had BLM and defund the police protests, and our city council literally just voted to increase the police budget to 45% of the cities budget. And that’s in an overwhelmingly Democratic and non-white city with 6 of the 7 city council members Democrats; the deciding vote was a DSA endorsed candidate. The public pressure is gone, nobody is going to actually “defund the police”.  The Police Union here is not going to only back the Republican candidates that aren’t going to win, that would be flushing money down the toilet. 

And just an FYI, cutting a police budget by 2-3% is not defunding the police, in case you were wanting to dig up some cities making token gestures like that to try and appease farther left voters in their cities. What defund the police protesters actually want is huge cuts to the police budget and other departments formed to deal with homeless, mental health, and domestic violence situations. That’s not going to happen. But of course Republicans will probably run on it for another 2-3 election cycles anyway, and sheep will believe them; it is what it is.

The whole defund the police thing was a knee jerk reaction to the George Floyd mess. Unfortunately, no one stops and thinks these things through to their conclusion. Minneapolis has lost a significant part of their police force and are now trying to hire new officers when crime skyrocketed. What a clusterphuck. Hard to feel sorry for stupid people.

https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/george-floyd-case-eight-months-minneapolis-defund-police-million-recruit-more-officers/

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The whole defund the police thing was a knee jerk reaction to the George Floyd mess. Unfortunately, no one stops and thinks these things through to their conclusion. Minneapolis has lost a significant part of their police force and are now trying to hire new officers when crime skyrocketed. What a clusterphuck. Hard to feel sorry for stupid people.

https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/george-floyd-case-eight-months-minneapolis-defund-police-million-recruit-more-officers/

The police will be defunded when the Republicans make abortion illegal; neither will happen, but low info voters will still fear monger incessantly that it’s going to happen any day now. 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:16 PM, CPslograd said:

Its not complicated.

"Defunding" the police is a poorly thought out BLM soundbite which appears to have been adopted by some quarters of the ACLU. I'm unaware of any Democratic politician who is not involved with those organizations that supports anything more than simply reducing police department budgets by 15% or so in order to find money to bump up mental health budgets to try to mitigate events like those which for some reason are inordinately common in the Denver area.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 10:22 PM, CPslograd said:

So you post a link that states public safety unions traditionally favor democrats, which was my exact point?

I dont get it.  You agree with me?

The column doesn't say that. What it essentially says is that almost half the time cops unions have supported Republicans and even for the slight majority which have supported Dems the relationship has typically been merely symbiotic.

I'm sorry but your narrative that cops and teachers unions have joined together politically to support a common agenda is simply inaccurate.

Of the 1,000 or so K-12 school districts in California, only a small minority employ police. Of the however many police and sheriff's departments there are in the state, none I'm aware of employ teachers. The two professions therefore have very disparate interests. My sense is you think they band together to spike their pensions but even that isn't the case. "Peace officers" are almost never in the same pension system as non-peace officers and K-12 teachers have a pension plan unique to them called the State Teachers' Retirement System.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:30 PM, CPslograd said:

Reforming or ending qualified immunity and defunding the police are not the same thing.

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:13 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Seattle cut their $400M police budget by $12M (3%) and used that plus another $18M for “more-equitable”community stuff. And that is probably the most extreme liberal city.

• Like 2