mugtang

The GOP has lost it

47 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

California republicans are getting increasingly less and less moderate. What does the moderate GOP bench even look like? Tom McClintock? Dude is a radical on environmental issues, but doesn't seem to care much about other areas of the culture wars as far as I can tell. Remember when Devin Nunes was a moderate? 

Who is this moderate GOP unicorn in California?

Closest I can think of are people like David Valadao (voted for impeachment), Scott Wilk, etc.

But give the California GOP a few more months and maybe they will be purged.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Closest I can think of are people like David Valadao (voted for impeachment), Scott Wilk, etc.

But give the California GOP a few more months and maybe they will be purged.

Valadao has some moderate tendencies, but he tends to just vote along with Nunes the vast majority of the time. I met him well before he ran for Congress the first time, as I spent a good chunk of my career in the dairy industry, and actually worked with one of his cousins. He's a pretty nice guy, unlike most politicians I've encountered, but I really wouldn't count him as a moderate GOP unicorn either. The main thing he has going for him is that he'll split from the GOP when it's something that his (very purple) district seems to be in favor of.  

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Valadao has some moderate tendencies, but he tends to just vote along with Nunes the vast majority of the time. I met him well before he ran for Congress the first time, as I spent a good chunk of my career in the dairy industry, and actually worked with one of his cousins. He's a pretty nice guy, unlike most politicians I've encountered, but I really wouldn't count him as a moderate GOP unicorn either. The main thing he has going for him is that he'll split from the GOP when it's something that his (very purple) district seems to be in favor of.  

Still better than the ones who want to check all of the boxes on a party loyalty/purity test.

• Cheers 1

MTG is opposing the Equal Rights Amendment being ratified. The ERA finally passed this year (after 40 years) when Virginia ratified it. But there was a 10 year deadline for ratification in the original bill so Congress is looking to eliminate that deadline to allow ratification.

So MTG is giving her reason for opposition.

Abortion after birth? I think she needs to get a dictionary definition of abortion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FresnoFacts said:

MTG is opposing the Equal Rights Amendment being ratified. The ERA finally passed this year (after 40 years) when Virginia ratified it. But there was a 10 year deadline for ratification in the original bill so Congress is looking to eliminate that deadline to allow ratification.

Abortion after birth? I think she needs to get a dictionary definition of abortion.

That stems from the GOP being idiots and misrepresenting statements from lawmakers in Virginia.

2 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

MGT is the dumbest person in Washington.

That aside can I point out what always irks me here about what is and is not a constitutional right?  Both sides do this but it annoys the hell out of me.  I mean I guess I do not need to ask permision.

Abortion IS a constitutional right because SCOTUS deemed it as such.  Period.  End of discussion.  What is and is not constitutional is decided by the high bench when in question in cases brought before it.  Period.  The end.  Done.  Maybe there will be a bench one day  that says abortion is not a constitutional right (though I highly doubt it) but until then, it is.

Federalism for the +++++ing win.  Shut up bimbo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

I like how you hear the lady at the beginning "the chair recognizes the....." you can hear her rolling her eyes in her voice. 

Also everytime she says womb, wyomb, it makes me want to punch somebody. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, CPslograd said:

You know, that's the whole deal politically.  Public safety and the CTA have always backed each other at the end of the day because of what you just referenced.  But with Covid school closures, the firefighters and cops aren't on the same page as the teachers.  It also didn't help the rift when union bosses in SoCal said defunding the police was a condition for reopening schools. That's why there is a real window for change with this recall election.  The public union monolith is fractured for the first time in decades.

On your first point, not to my knowledge. In fact, from everything I've seen peace officer unions have always been on their own. They don't even collaborate with firefighter unions when both represent people working for the same employer.

I'm not aware of the second highlighted point being accurate either. Granted, teachers are generally left wing politically whereas cops are right wing so they don't see eye to eye but the only demand I've heard teachers unions make as to reopening schools is that everyone first be vaccinated.

Ergo, I think your conclusion that there is a public union monolith is incorrect. Indeed, my guess is that if cops and firefighter unions take any position on the Newsom recall, it will be in support of it contrary to other public employee unions.

20 hours ago, retrofade said:

I can empathize with that guy Taylor as on a number of occasions I had to cover for the misstatement of one of my bosses. Of course, my bosses were never as batshit crazy as Taylor's boss so it's prolly standard operating procedure for him.

5 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Currently the 3 declared GOP candidates are all politicians who jumped on the Trump wagon the last few years: Faulconer, John Cox (lost to Newsom in 2018 by 62% to 38%), and now Doug Ose (former Sacramento area Congressman/politician). 

I also do not see someone with Trump-supporter credentials winning a statewide election in California.

Schwarzenegger won the 2003 recall election running as a moderate Republican with name recognition. I still believe a more moderate candidate is the GOPs best chance to win statewide again, even if many Republicans consider that a RINO. For the recall, a moderate is probably also the DEMs best backup candidate in case Newsom is recalled.

In 2003, there were 130 candidate names on the recall election ballot. Political strategists are currently predicting it will be higher this time, potentially 150 to 200 names on the ballot.

I agree. And that’s the path I think Faulconer blew when he went Trumptard. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

MGT is the dumbest person in Washington.

And so far she has expressed no sympathy or empathy about the Atlanta shootings. They happened only 60 miles from her home, close enough that she could have expressed something about the victims from her state.

3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

On your first point, not to my knowledge. In fact, from everything I've seen peace officer unions have always been on their own. They don't even collaborate with firefighter unions when both represent people working for the same employer.

I'm not aware of the second highlighted point being accurate either. Granted, teachers are generally left wing politically whereas cops are right wing so they don't see eye to eye but the only demand I've heard teachers unions make as to reopening schools is that everyone first be vaccinated.

Ergo, I think your conclusion that there is a public union monolith is incorrect. Indeed, my guess is that if cops and firefighter unions take any position on the Newsom recall, it will be in support of it contrary to other public employee unions.

What the unions support is a seperate issue than what its members support.

I was specifically talking about what the unions do, not how individual public union members vote.

The public safety unions have historically backed democrats.  I 

Congresswoman Lauren Boebert put a Q-flavored cherry atop an already controversial town hall last Monday night, when she claimed to have insider knowledge of a QAnon-linked conspiracy theory promoted by The Epoch Times that secret documents declassified in the final days of the Trump administration will expose wrongdoing by Trump’s enemies and lead to resignations and arrests, allowing Republicans to gain a majority in the U.S. House and Senate prior to the 2022 election.

Boebert, a Republican, claims her sources for this are close to Trump.

“And this is my opinion with that information that I have, I believe we will see resignations begin to take place. And I think we can take back the majority in the House and the Senate before 2022 when all of this is ended,” Boebert said at the Montrose event.

Her startling claim, first reported by Dennis Anderson of the Delta County Independent, came in response to the last question of the evening. An unidentified man wanted to know if there will ever be “perp walks” for Hillary Clinton and high-level officials like the former heads of the FBI and CIA.

https://coloradotimesrecorder.com/2021/03/promoting-qanon-linked-conspiracy-boebert-says-resignations-will-soon-allow-gop-to-control-congress/35257/

Bat. Shit. Phucking. Insane.

25 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I think I’m gonna start acting like some of these 2A nut jobs, except I’m gonna do it with the 3rd amendment. Any soldier I see I’m gonna let him know he will never stay the night at my house.

I'd do that, but my cousins have already spent the night at my place before.

Darn you familial connections!

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

QAnon supporters have been calling for Myanmar-style military action to round up Liberals and Elites plus return Trump to power.

What happened just a few days ago in Congress?

The Party of No, the isolationist party, the Q party, or simply against condemning an action they want to see happen in the US?

As good a thread as any to post this one.

Freshman Rep. Pat Fallon (R-TX) during a Congressional Hearing raised questions about the Southern Poverty Law Center naming the VFW and American Legion as hate groups.

His source was finally discovered to be a 2017 article from the military satire site "Duffel Blog". :wacko::rotflmfao:

That is the same satire site that Mitch McConnell used years ago as a source about Guantanamo detainees receiving GI Bill benefits.

This country really needs better education in information literacy. No one is able to distinguish fact from fiction.

Roughly half an hour later, a revelation came when Brooks said emphatically that the Southern Poverty Law Center had never named the Veterans of Foreign Wars or American Legion as hate groups.

“That assertion appeared as satire in a military satire blog known as ‘Duffel Blog,’” she said.

The chairman of the House Armed Services Committee broke into the conversation to underscore the importance of separating truth from satire.

“That’s why we have these hearings, is to try to get to the facts,” said Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.). “Then we can debate what to do with them, but we can’t be throwing out a bunch of misinformation.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/mandatory-fun/duffel-blog-american-legion-vfw/

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

As good a thread as any to post this one.

Freshman Rep. Pat Fallon (R-TX) during a Congressional Hearing raised questions about the Southern Poverty Law Center naming the VFW and American Legion as hate groups.

His source was finally discovered to be a 2017 article from the military satire site "Duffel Blog". :wacko::rotflmfao:

That is the same satire site that Mitch McConnell used years ago as a source about Guantanamo detainees receiving GI Bill benefits.

This country really needs better education in information literacy. No one is able to distinguish fact from fiction.

Haha. That’s funny stuff right there. Don’t they know that they can just come to this board, where everyone is a communications expert?

• Like 1