mugtang

The GOP has lost it

16 minutes ago, Maji said:

Ummm....

I was surprised by this, but another report says the Democrats, including Fetterman were trying to stop anyone from being sworn in.  The certified elected candidate does have a challenge in the courts as well due to some ballots not having dates properly on there (alleged).  I don't know if this is quite so cut and dry here.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

The certified elected candidate does have a challenge in the courts as well due to some ballots not having dates properly on there (alleged).  I don't know if this is quite so cut and dry here.

You shouldn't prevent a duly elected member from being sworn in just because his opponent is filing court cases. That's something Trump would advocate for

Just now, Maji said:

You shouldn't prevent a duly elected member from being sworn in just because his opponent is filing court cases. That's something Trump would advocate for

Seems shady, for sure.  Need one of these folks who know way too much about this stuff to decipher the "legality" of this type of bullshit.  I wonder why the Dems were trying to stop it though.  I don't know enough about PA politics (thank god).

35 minutes ago, Maji said:

It looks like the win was upheld by the state Supreme Court too. This is not a good move.

The GOP candidate filed in Federal Court and that is still unresolved. Basically she is asking to throw out mail-in ballots where the signatures matched but the voter did not date it. That would be enough votes to give her the win.

But since the Federal Court still has not ruled, she asked the GOP-majority State Senate to declare her the winner and swear her in.

She didn't ask for the seat to remain vacant during court appeals. She wanted the GOP majority to set aside both those votes AND the state certification of results then declare her the winner.

We will see how far the PA GOP is willing to go (leave the seat vacant during appeal or declare a GOP winner).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

What the actual.

Can we all agree now that the current incarnation of the "establishment" GOP is simply pro-authoritarianism and anti-democratic?

I've been thinking about this David Frum quote lot lately. 

“If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.”

However, I think many have abandoned actual conservatism, but they still use the name.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I've been thinking about this David Frum quote lot lately. 

“If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.”

However, I think many have abandoned actual conservatism, but they still use the name.

Because “social conservatism” isn’t really conservative.  It’s authoritarianism as the current southern dominated GOP has proven.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maji said:

Those viewpoints are dangerous

If that's what the majority of the voters want then we'd have to live with it. Thankfully it's not.

7 hours ago, Maji said:

Those viewpoints are dangerous

They're ascendant in the conservative movement. 

• Like 3

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

27 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

They're ascendant in the conservative movement. 

Reading that twitter, the vibe I'm getting is that if you're under 25 and a republican, you're a nazi. 

Is that accurate? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.