mugtang

The GOP has lost it

12 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Lots of cities are though. Gentrification is a hell of a thing. Main St in Vegas 30 years ago was pee pee soaked heck hole of industrial decay and is now hipster artsy coffee brew pub sushi joint bistro lights over the street central and was just named the coolest neighborhood in the country by one of those worthless clickbait websites. So cool in fact Pauly Shore moved into the area, lol. But you get my point.

No, it was SPECIFICALLY the NYPD terrorizing black people that fixed crime, duh

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Crime rates and gentrification and all that stuff is complicated. Sure broken windows policing can remove the usual suspects, but I'm not quick to give Rudy Giuliani credit for much right now. He's so awful and so dumb. Seems to me most gentrification and crime reduction in a given area appears to be more the result of economic and market forces.  

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Crime has dropped across the entire country consistently almost my entire life.

Yeah, people did something about it. It was an enormous problem that drove political and legal thought. Not all the outcomes were great, but it wasn’t for trying to make things better. Guiliani absolutely deserves some credit for turning New York around.

18 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Sorry, @thelawlorfaithful.  Love you but gotta disagree.  If NYC crime reduction was disproportionately lower than other major metro's, I could get behind giving some credit.

Still during 9/11 he was a rock and that should not be taken away from him.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yeah, people did something about it. It was an enormous problem that drove political and legal thought. Not all the outcomes were great, but it wasn’t for trying to make things better. Guiliani absolutely deserves some credit for turning New York around.

He deserves credit for being mayor during a nationwide trend happened that positively affected his city? Hell, crime rates dropped in Western Europe as well during that time, and I seriously doubt they used similar policies as Guiliani to combat crime. 

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

He also took down the Mob.

Or I guess I should clarify he took down the Italian Mob and opened the door for the Russian mob to take over.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Sorry, @thelawlorfaithful.  Love you but gotta disagree.  If NYC crime reduction was disproportionately lower than other major metro's, I could get behind giving some credit.

New York City is not like other cities, they’ll be the first to tell you that. The mayor only serves one city, and the transformation was undeniable. Denying Guiliani some credit because he’s a crazy person is dumbphuckery. Please desist.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

He also took down the Mob.

Or I guess I should clarify he took down the Italian Mob and opened the door for the Russian mob to take over.

If he had ridden off into the sunset he would have gone down as one the best American Mayors of all time, justified or not.

I just can't give him credit, or any more than small partial credit, for overall crime reduction.  

• Cheers 1
Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

New York City is not like other cities, they’ll be the first to tell you that. The mayor only serves one city, and the transformation was undeniable. Denying Guiliani some credit because he’s a crazy person is dumbphuckery. Please desist.

See my above post.  I am no expert on NY crime through the decades but do have some casual knowledge.  I am willing to be educated as towards your position if you have the time.

Seeing a lot of new chatter about some reassigning of justices in the circuits, which would put GA with Thomas, MI with Kavanaugh, WI with Barrett, and PA with Alito.  Chief Justice Roberts made the reassignments.  Lot of pro-Trump folks are really latching on to this, and some of the evangelicals say it is a sign of God that this has happened, not, you know, a person doing it.  

Any of you folks believe there is merit to this in regards to the election?  Would be quite interesting to see Biden all ready to move in, only for Donny boy to change the locks on him.

Supreme Court Order

12 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Seeing a lot of new chatter about some reassigning of justices in the circuits, which would put GA with Thomas, MI with Kavanaugh, WI with Barrett, and PA with Alito.  Chief Justice Roberts made the reassignments.  Lot of pro-Trump folks are really latching on to this, and some of the evangelicals say it is a sign of God that this has happened, not, you know, a person doing it.  

Any of you folks believe there is merit to this in regards to the election?  Would be quite interesting to see Biden all ready to move in, only for Donny boy to change the locks on him.

Supreme Court Order

it means nothing, most of those assignments were already in place.  They shuffle a bit every time there's a new justice to put them in charge of circuits they're familiar with geographically.

SCOTUS won't touch this with a 10 foot pole...Roberts is a hack, but he's a smart hack, and if SCOTUS repudiates trump here and keeps the ACA alive in the other ruling it kills any drive to pack the courts for a good decade and gives them cover to kneecap Biden at every turn.  He'll convince two of Kav/Gorsuch/Barrett to defect.

• Facepalm 1
1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

Trump retweeted this.

This party is bat-shit crazy. I hope they can put Trump behind them and resurrect what that party once was

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Let this be a lesson to all of you. Please pull the car over before recording your unhinged political rant. Safety first people!

• Haha 1