mugtang

The GOP has lost it

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

With all due respect, if you were once a Republican, it would stand to reason that every now and then you would post something that would reflect that. You’ve been posting and positively reacting to leftist content for a while on here, long before Trump. You might classify yourself as an independent but your posting history, from what I’ve been able to observe, points to you being a Democrat. 

I've drifted further left over the years since I first became politically aware. Now here I am, doing my own thing, getting told off by a Libertarian for "teams and shit" when he does his own "teams and shit".

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

There's really no such thing as a "centrist". Pretty much every single issue which swing votes has two sides. You're either for or against. Just because you support the Dem side on some and the GOP side on others, doesn't make you a centrist. Most folks will prioritize the issues based upon their personal beliefs and then vote accordingly.

For me, even though I'm still registered as a Republican and will still vote for them at the state and occasionally national level, the most important issue for me is individual freedom. When the religious right really took control of the party in the late 80's early 90's and started focusing on limiting/ending abortion rights and DOMA, they lost me. Those issues continue to be more important to me than say any 2nd Amendment issues.  

Libertarians are just those who refuse to prioritize. They essentially throw their vote away and then project "moral superiority" because they didn't compromise their values. :shrug:

Depending on where you live your vote has very little meaning in statewide and countrywide elections. This does not mean that you should not participate in the political process. I have seen firsthand that one person can change things if they care enough. Refusing to participate in the process at a local level gives a person no agency on the political decisions that effect their day to day lives. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, son of a gun said:

I've drifted further left over the years since I first became politically aware. Now here I am, doing my own thing, getting told off by a Libertarian for "teams and shit" when he does his own "teams and shit".

I did make the Final Four in Team and Shit and I’m extremely proud of that. I expect a repeat in the upcoming derby.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

33 minutes ago, renoskier said:

There's really no such thing as a "centrist". Pretty much every single issue which swing votes has two sides. You're either for or against. Just because you support the Dem side on some and the GOP side on others, doesn't make you a centrist. Most folks will prioritize the issues based upon their personal beliefs and then vote accordingly.

For me, even though I'm still registered as a Republican and will still vote for them at the state and occasionally national level, the most important issue for me is individual freedom. When the religious right really took control of the party in the late 80's early 90's and started focusing on limiting/ending abortion rights and DOMA, they lost me. Those issues continue to be more important to me than say any 2nd Amendment issues.  

Libertarians are just those who refuse to prioritize. They essentially throw their vote away and then project "moral superiority" because they didn't compromise their values. :shrug:

Intellectual superiority, too.

50 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Pretty much every single issue which swing votes has two sides. You're either for or against.

Disagree with that.  Rare is the issue that is so strictly black/write.  Personally, I have a hell of a time taking those online 'political compass' surveys, because more often than not none of the options presented fit my particular view on the subject.  With any issue, the devil ultimately lies in the details.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Maji said:

Hey @BSUTOP25  & @halfmanhalfbronco

According to this test, I'm not a centrist... I'm a radical centrist :D

Screenshot_20201203-132850_Samsung Internet.jpg

Radical Centrists of the World, Unite !

Throw off the shackles of your extremist oppressors !

Our ideological figurehead.

Dwight D Eisenhower GIF by The Kennedy Center

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

I've become very liberal on social issues but am very much a free trade proponent. Since the GOP went populist and protectionist, the Democrats have pushed more free trade it lined up great with me.... I don't think they will stay pro free trade so I will disagree with them on that. 

I am also a fan of markets and market solutions. But not unfettered markets. There is a place for regulation to correct inefficiencys in markets,internalizing externalities that exist in certain markets. 

But I argue more about social issues here however and on those issues I agree with the democratic party much more than the Republicans. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 4

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

As an example.  On Tuesday nights I put on my batman uniform and self felate while choking my self with the window blinds until I pass out.

Live free or die!

Pics or it didn’t happen.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Responding to a pending ecological disaster is not leftest it’s common sense.   Was Nixon a leftest because he responded to acid rain problems or created the Clean Air act so Los Angeles residents weren’t breathing solid air? 

When I attended college in 1980, my college sat at the base of a 4,193 ft mountain peak and no one realized until January because the air was so bad.   The marginal tax rate 90% and Reagan, that +++++ing communist, lowered it to 50%.  

The US currently by far as the most inefficient and expensive medical system in the world.   The cost burdens individuals and businesses alike.  Fixing it isn’t leftest it’s common sense.

You don’t know what you are talking about.  You are young, smart and arrogant.  (I know I’m not particularly hurting your feelings so I will say it anyway.)   Shit deemed “leftest” in the here and now is only leftest in the skewed perception of these times with no historical or global  context. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Responding to a pending ecological disaster is not leftest it’s common sense.   Was Nixon a leftest because he responded to acid rain problems or created the Clean Air act so Los Angeles residents weren’t breathing solid air.  

When I attended college in 1980, my college sat at the base of a 4,193 ft mountain peak and no one realized until January because the air was so bad.   The marginal tax rate 90% and Reagan, that +++++ing communist, lowered it to 50%.  

The US currently by far as the most inefficient and expensive medical system in the world.   The cost burdens individuals and businesses alike.  Fixing it isn’t leftest it’s common sense.

You don’t know what you are talking about.  You are young, smart and arrogant.  (I know I’m not particularly hurting your feelings so I will say it anyway.)   Shit deemed “leftest” in the here and now is only leftest in the skewed perception of these times with no historical or global  context. 

Yes, a two trillion dollar plan for green energy towards a goal of a carbon free grid by 2035 is not only leftist, it is scientifically not possible.  That is indeed a far left position.

Fixing and cheapening American health care is common sense.  That does not mean that Bidens take on doing so is not "left".  

Educate yourself.  There is a reason Biden ran a campaign applauded by so many as being the the furthest left of any primary candidate.  The Vox article does an especially good job of laying it out and comparing his positions to his predecessors.  It will take you 5 minutes.  

Being a policy further left than any predecessor on the same issues does not make it bad policy, or not common sense as you put it.  However two trillion towards an unatainable goal for carbon without one cent for nuclear is absolutely bad policy.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes, a two trillion dollar plan for green energy towards a goal of a carbon free grid by 2035 is not only leftist, it is scientifically not possible.  That is indeed a far left position.

Fixing and cheapening American health care is common sense.  That does not mean that Bidens take on doing so is not "left".  

Educate yourself.  There is a reason Biden ran a campaign applauded by so many as being the the furthest left of any primary candidate.  The Vox article does an especially good job of laying it out and comparing his positions to his predecessors.  It will take you 5 minutes.  

Being a policy further left than any predecessor on the same issues does not make it bad policy, or not common sense as you put it.  However two trillion towards an unatainable goal for carbon without one cent for nuclear is absolutely bad policy.

I’m well educated thank you.   

The green plan is a goal not a detailed roadmap.  It’s what good Presidents do.   Set an aspirational goal, provide resources and let the smart people figure it out.   

Much of Healthcare is a necessary for life product.  It doesn’t take much work or common sense to see that economically providing thousands of negotiating points for health providers to negotiate against is the by far less efficient system.   By your model access to water would also be un-regulated.   

Again left is a relative term. Biden’s top tax rate is less than Reagan’s and equal to Clinton’s but people without perspective claim is some new far left proposal.  

good lord.