mugtang

The GOP has lost it

18 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Please tell us what makes you not a card carrying Democrat. I’m all ears. 

Oh yeah, there's also this. It would be pretty strange for a "card carrying Democrat" to be hauling a Republican voter identification card around

20201202_183040.jpg

9 minutes ago, Maji said:

Some areas AOC would likely disagree with me on

20201202_181653.jpg

20201202_181843.jpg

20201202_182117.jpg

These are good examples, I appreciate you digging them up. Please make some more posts or initiate some threads so we can see more content like this from you. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

20 minutes ago, Maji said:

They want to reform the election system to be more representative. To me, that's not inconsistent with liberal democracy -- even if it involves changing the precedent. The GOP doesn't complain about the EC, but that's a byproduct of the EC helping them. There's still a significant chunk on the right that's wary of democracy in general. All the talk of the election being rigged is a reflection of that

It is not just the EC some in the left take issue with.  If you hear somebody complain about an ancient piece if paper, they vote democrat.  Liberal democracy, like populism, is not a catch all.  Liberal democracies vary greatly, it does not mean one is "more of a liberal democracy".  Most liberal democracies are restrained by and built upon constitutions.  The rights acceptance of this beats the lefts, if we are painting with broad brushes.

Another key tennant is the value and acceptance of pluralism.  The left certainly beats the right here.

To say one party clearly holds the tenets of liberal democracy more dear than the other is just too big a stretch.

Hell India is considered a liberal democracy and they have much of the country still living in a caste system.  Liberal democracy, like populism, is a term with a big tent.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maji said:

Oh yeah, there's also this

20201202_183040.jpg

That doesn’t cut it. I registered as a Republican in this last primary simply to vote against Trump. Cast my single vote for Bill Weld and left everything else blank. The rubber hits the road in how you believe and vote in the general.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

These are good examples, I appreciate you digging them up. Please make some more posts or initiate some threads so we can see more content like this from you. 

Maji can be an outstanding poster when he wants to be.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

That doesn’t cut it. I registered as a Republican in this last primary simply to vote against Trump. Cast my single vote for Bill Weld and left everything else blank. The rubber hits the road in how you believe and vote in the general.

I agree. Voter registration is usually a lagging indicator. I couldn't pass up posting that though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Maji can be an outstanding poster when he wants to be.

I’m willing to give @Majithe benefit of the doubt here, which is why I credited him above. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

To say one party clearly holds the tenets of liberal democracy more dear than the other is just too big a stretch.

Hell India is considered a liberal democracy and they have much of the country still living in a caste system.  Liberal democracy, like populism, is a term with a big tent.

Normally I'd agree, but under the era of Trump I don't. Most of the party is refusing to stand up for the legitimacy of the election. Some Trump supporters are calling for revolution and issuing death threats to election officials, but GOP leaders aren't telling them to tone down. That separates things for me.

I agree with you that liberal democracy is a broad term. I certainly don’t view India as the ideal government. Political terms are sloppy in general though. Terms and ideologies are too simplistic given how complex politics is

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yep, sure. Btw, you’ve got the other “centrists” @tspoke, @renoskier, and @son of a gun who you’re going to have to compete against in the upcoming Teams and Shit Derby. Lol

When is this taking place? This one should be good.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If you think Biden is a moderate centrist or rather ran a moderate centrist campaign...chances are you are not a moderate centrist.

And if you think Biden is far to the left, you probably aren’t far to the left. 

25 minutes ago, Maji said:

Normally I'd agree, but under the era of Trump I don't. Most of the party is refusing to stand up for the legitimacy of the election. Some Trump supporters are calling for revolution and issuing death threats to election officials, but GOP leaders aren't telling them to tone down. That separates things for me.

I agree with you that liberal democracy is a broad term. I certainly don’t view India as the ideal government. Political terms are sloppy in general though. Terms and ideologies are too simplistic given how complex politics is

I think intent is important when arguing, well, intent.  They think they are protecting the integrity of ours.  They are wrong.  That does not mean they are not supportive of the values, they are certainly passionately supportive od the values.  They have just been lied too by a man who is clea

So why is it the Grand Old Party when the Democratic Party is older?

Hmmmm....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, PokeTransplant said:

FIFY

Well Biden ran further to the left in the general than any politician before him.  Biden is not "far left" because so many are running campaigns and winning elections nationwide that are further left.  His campaign was not moderate, it was not centrist.  It was a very solid left of center campaign in the primary that saw a slight correction in the general, as is usual but even with that moderation, his general campaign was further left then any before him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well Biden ran further to the left in the general than any politician before him.  Biden is not "far left" because so many are running campaigns and winning elections nationwide that are further left.  His campaign was not moderate, it was not centrist.  It was a very solid left of center campaign in the primary that saw a slight correction in the general, as is usual but even with that moderation, his general campaign was further left then any before him.

Not disputing anything in your statement.  Biden was a little left of left, but no where as far as Trump took the Republicans to the far right fringe.

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

To be fair, the current political bullshit is heavily leaning  towards that not happening. 

Even our previously-Trump supporters are like, WTF is going on.  Let's not let this timeframe be the only determinant of a person. This is just a weird time.

16 minutes ago, PokeTransplant said:

Not disputing anything in your statement.  Biden was a little left of left, but no where as far as Trump took the Republicans to the far right fringe.

How do you figure?  Trump made nationalsim more mainstream.  For sure.  Outside of that he was a hodge podge of ideas left and right, subjective to change.  I guess it depends on how one views the weight of nationalsim compared to other policy.  Trumpism is unique blend.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Based on what?   

a public option to medical which can be shown to be more efficient than the current state.

actually caring about the environment which was originally a Republican position.