mugtang

The GOP has lost it

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, son of a gun said:

I can't help but think if some people on here said that the Orange Menace would do crap like this going back to 2016 if he lost. Not 100% sure, but its a gut feeling.

Trump said he would probably challenge the results DURING the election.  He's asking for recounts (I have no problem with that).   He's also doing that in court and losing (his right to do that).

Let's not let hysteria take over, and act like he's got the military trying to launch a coup, or that he's rejected the vote of the Electoral College.   That hasn't happened yet.   If (when ) it does, then we can all bitch....

But to act like he's taken over power is a bit premature.   

He's still the President until January, and we haven't even hit the EC deadlines yet. 

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I was sounding the alarm four years ago that a Trump presidency represented an exigent threat to our national security for multiple reasons including his strong-arm authoritarian tendencies.

I seem to recall being right there with you. All we got was the "TDS" label.

• Like 3

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I remain extremely unconvinced that republican state legislatures and house reps, who largely range from car dealership owners to insane cranks like the wayne county freaks, are in any way committed to norms and the rule of law.   

the house minority leader is doing interviews and tweets uncritically repeating trump's bogus claims about the election. 

Seems like a fantasy.   Do you have any quotes to back up what you are suggesting they will do? 

Trump is allowed to ask for recounts, and file lawsuits----he's probably been doing this his whole life.   He's getting embarrassed by losing them all.

Trust the Process. 

The whole country would massively protest if he tried to take over in a coup. 

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Seems like a fantasy.   Do you have any quotes to back up what you are suggesting they will do? 

Trump is allowed to ask for recounts, and file lawsuits----he's probably been doing this his whole life.   He's getting embarrassed by losing them all.

Trust the Process. 

The whole country would massively protest if he tried to take over in a coup. 

I'm trusting the process, but I have my doubts about the "whole country" being on the same side of that massive protest if it ever came to that.

41 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Isn't there a deadline that the election needs to be certified soon, and the electoral college vote?

I thought it was end of November.

Yes, each states is different, but the certification date is soon. Electoral college votes on December 14.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I'm trusting the process, but I have my doubts about the "whole country" being on the same side of that massive protest if it ever came to that.

I guess we'll know soon. 

Put December 8 on your calendar.  

• Tuesday, December 8: This is the date by which all conflicts—including court cases and recounts—must be resolved. Pay attention Trump team.
  • Monday, December 14: Voting day! This is the day that the members of the Electoral College cast their ballots for president and vice president. Copies of the ballots are then sent to key people including the vice president (in his role as president of the Senate), secretary of state, and district judges in the districts where the electors meet.
  • Wednesday, December 23: All elector ballots must be received by this day.
  • Wednesday, January 6: Congress meets and the ballots are counted.
  • Wednesday, January 20: The president-elect is sworn in as the next president of the United States.
  •  

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes, each states is different, but the certification date is soon. Electoral college votes on December 14.

Thanks.  I just looked that up.

26 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I was sounding the alarm four years ago that a Trump presidency represented an exigent threat to our national security for multiple reasons including his strong-arm authoritarian tendencies.

I’m with you brother.  And god forbid he had 4 more years of control.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I heard a quote from an anonymous Republican politician who described what they are doing (with Trump) as "Trying to get a dying elephant into the grave. Slowly and carefully."

I'm trying to be patient, but what's happening is going to have lasting impacts for the Republic long after most of us have shrugged off this mortal coil. 

I have hopes that the guardrails of our republic will save us, but I'm having less faith in that by the day. A lot of our republic is held together by faith that our representatives will act with SOME amount of honor and faith in free and fair elections. If 40-60% of the electorate loses faith in the electoral process, and we have representatives acting more for their own short term self interest than the longer term health of the republic, we are in big boy trouble. 

I know Republican politicians are trying to hold together their coalition. By all reports, most of the Establishment Republicans hate Trump, but they are scared witless of him and his voters, because they LOVE him. They're worried about creating a split in the conservative movement that would create two weakened conservative parties against a (potentially) more unified Left.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I heard a quote from an anonymous Republican politician who described what they are doing (with Trump) as "Trying to get a dying elephant into the grave. Slowly and carefully."

I'm trying to be patient, but what's happening is going to have lasting impacts for the Republic long after most of us have shrugged off this mortal coil. 

I have hopes that the guardrails of our republic will save us, but I'm having less faith in that by the day. A lot of our republic is held together by faith that our representatives will act with SOME amount of honor and faith in free and fair elections. If 40-60% of the electorate loses faith in the electoral process, and we have representatives acting more for their own short term self interest than the longer term health of the republic, we are in big boy trouble. 

I know Republican politicians are trying to hold together their coalition. By all reports, most of the Establishment Republicans hate Trump, but they are scared witless of him and his voters, because they LOVE him. They're worried about creating a split in the conservative movement that would create two weakened conservative parties against a (potentially) more unified Left.

"establishment" republicans are basically cuckolds at this point.  Every Senate republican with national ambitions is groaning in disappointment because they know if he's alive and ambulatory in 2024 Trump gets the nomination, assuming he is successfully ousted in January.  His kids and family are already eyeing senate bids.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

In a nutshell....

These bastards (politicians) are all thinking about THEMSELVES and the next election and their own personal ambitions.  

They only don't want to "offend Trump voters" because then they might not get reelected, or primary'ed, because Trump is popular for certain voters.   So they are being really cautious and playing the part of "Politician", and calculating their words to help themselves.   Most won't dare say good or bad about Trump for a long while. 

Yes, a few BYU fan politicians spoke out already against Trump (Jeff Flake) and it cost them any chance at get reelected. 

jeff-flake-donald-trump.jpg

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

If he were to succeed in stealing the election via sycophanthic rogue electors the country would devolve into a civil war. That would do it. 

It would, but Democratic electors are not going to go rogue for Trump.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

If he were to succeed in stealing the election via sycophanthic rogue electors the country would devolve into a civil war. That would do it. 

I agree.

Only thing that gives me pause, though, is that most people in this Country are too pussy to go full civil war.  This isn't the 1860s.

I mean, the only people with the stones to fight anyone anymore are probably all from Montana and Wyoming.   Most people just want Netflix and Chill. 

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I look at that and just shake my head. You can't tell me that this won't have a corrosive effect.

As did this...

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/03/09/russias-impact-election-seen-through-partisan-eyes

Yougov is a shitty polling outfit btw, but I used them in the link for a common reference to the poll you cited.

22 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

If he were to succeed in stealing the election via sycophanthic rogue electors the country would devolve into a civil war. That would do it. I don't think it'll happen. But if it does the shit is going to hit the fan 

And I don’t understand why people think Trump is worth destroying the Republic over.  He’s not. He’s a piece of shit conman who’s managed to convince 72 million Americans he cares about them.  

• Like 10

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

18 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

As did this...

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/03/09/russias-impact-election-seen-through-partisan-eyes

Yougov is a shitty polling outfit btw, but I used them in the link for a common reference to the poll you cited.

Indeed. As was the Obama Manchurian candidate/birtherism theories before that. But judging from that poll, the concern was at least somewhat bipartisan and rooted in the truth that Russians really did wage a misinformation campaign.

A difference between the above examples and this is that this is the first time that I can remember where the guns are pointed inward at our own system.