Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maji

Poll: Do you support UBI, NIT, Both, or neither?

Do you support UBI, NIT, Both, or neither?   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Select an option below

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2020 at 07:23 PM

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

With the opportunity zones, has there been a decrease in LIHTC, NMTC or NHTC fudning?  I know they were trying to sunset the NHTC in 2015, but haven't kept up with it.  My biggest gripe about the opportunity zone plans is that it is a less protective version of tax crediting to people in a community, essentially federally subsidizing hyper-gentrification.  Just wondering how much the tax credits are still being funded.

I know LIHTC is still funded not sure about the others. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 11/19/2020 at 7:24 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

Same levels of funding still?  

I believe so (sorry I didn’t see the notification that you responded and asked this question until now). 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 11/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, sactowndog said:

Interesting.  Will be happy to read them.

Although arguments for economic growth, especially long-term, can be made for a UBI, it’s others that I’m most directly attracted to.  The possibility of reinvigorating civic culture in America, especially in poor communities, rural areas, and faded small towns might be my main attraction to a UBI.  Of course, it is also economic in nature as the financial capital influx is what allows new associations to develop and sorely needed social capital to form over time.  New small and micro businesses, revitalized civic organizations, possibilities for religious communities to pool resources and provide social services, etc. all arise.

Perchville is a faded small town with an ongoing young adult exodus.  It’s not a tourist town nor near any area of population influx.  Agriculture and extraction are largely huge enterprises.  Little small manufacturing so limited government work is one of the few good paying employment opportunities.  Most couples both have to work and savings are hard to come by.  Not a lot of time for civic engagement beyond school stuff if with children.  Diminished religiosity in working class America fills an ever smaller void of community engagement.  That’s life.

Now, you have this extra $2,000 or so of income/month/couple.  All kinds of possibilities open up for social capital formation.  Things in the first paragraph (above), and the ability for couples to have a stay-at-home parent (at least part-time).  They can now open that art studio or personal training micro business or on and on.  Their  churches can really use them now.  Ditto for secular civic organizations.  Democracy is better for it.

10 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Although arguments for economic growth, especially long-term, can be made for a UBI, it’s others that I’m most directly attracted to.  The possibility of reinvigorating civic culture in America, especially in poor communities, rural areas, and faded small towns might be my main attraction to a UBI.  Of course, it is also economic in nature as the financial capital influx is what allows new associations to develop and sorely needed social capital to form over time.  New small and micro businesses, revitalized civic organizations, possibilities for religious communities to pool resources and provide social services, etc. all arise.

Perchville is a faded small town with an ongoing young adult exodus.  It’s not a tourist town nor near any area of population influx.  Agriculture and extraction are largely huge enterprises.  Little small manufacturing so limited government work is one of the few good paying employment opportunities.  Most couples both have to work and savings are hard to come by.  Not a lot of time for civic engagement beyond school stuff if with children.  Diminished religiosity in working class America fills an ever smaller void of community engagement.  That’s life.

Now, you have this extra $2,000 or so of income/month/couple.  All kinds of possibilities open up for social capital formation.  Things in the first paragraph (above), and the ability for couples to have a stay-at-home parent (at least part-time).  They can now open that art studio or personal training micro business or on and on.  Their  churches can really use them now.  Ditto for secular civic organizations.  Democracy is better for it.

It would encourage risk.  Things that don't seem risky to the more privelged seem very risky to those with no safety net.  Moving out of the hood.  Leaving the family general store to go to college.  Day trading.  When Americans feel encouraged to take risks, good shit happens.

31 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It would encourage risk.  Things that don't seem risky to the more privelged seem very risky to those with no safety net.  Moving out of the hood.  Leaving the family general store to go to college.  Day trading.  When Americans feel encouraged to take risks, good shit happens.

While the origins of my views on the UBI stem from libertarian sources — two BSU Econ profs in the ‘80s (Friedman acolytes) and Charles Murray in recent times, I draw some from progressive Robert Putnam especially in some diagram overlap of agreement.  Here’s a summation social trends chart drawn from 2015s, “Our Kids”. It relates to my prior post and also future ones. I’ll forgo attempts to analyze the relationships (way too long), but I find it quite interesting:

A478B93B-D9A4-47E6-880E-3CD0722EAA39.png

1 minute ago, grandjean87 said:

While the origins of my views on the UBI stem from libertarian sources — two BSU Econ profs in the ‘80s (Friedman acolytes) and Charles Murray in recent times, I draw some from progressive Robert Putnam especially in some diagram overlap of agreement.  Here’s a summation, social trends chart drawn for 2015s, “Our Kids”. It relates to my prior post and also future ones. I’ll forgo attempts to analyze the relationships (way too long), but I find it quite interesting:

A478B93B-D9A4-47E6-880E-3CD0722EAA39.png

We crushed the curve!  

5 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

So what prevents them from taking the 2000 and just doing nothing? 

15 hours ago, Maji said:

$1,000 per month isn't enough to live on. $2,000 is enough to scrape by in a few places, but living standards wouldn't be ideal

That’s part of the reason why new associations may form. Ideally, society (especially the working class) would move back towards traditional family structures, but that’s unlikely.  Three adult roommates = $30 or $36k or thereabouts.  At that level of base household income, two can work and one can watch children, run the household, volunteer, or do whatever else.  Two working at even low wages at/near full-time doubles household income ($60-70+k). 

Two other things tangential:  Child support is easily garnished. That can change incentives to be irresponsible in procreation.  Similar for the incarcerated. Monetary payments can continue for child support and/or split to offset jail/prison costs.