Bob

Masks not effective in containing the spread of COVID-19 according to new Danish randomized control trial (gold standard of research)

14 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

"Apples to apples?" Because according to this article (published Oct. 29) there are plenty of loopholes and/or work-arounds that allow for exceptions and/or non-enforcement for Montana's mask mandate.

So what exactly do these mask mandates say? Because not all mask mandates are equal. And more importantly, when did said mandates go into effect? Because T0 is arguably the single-biggest differentiator here - a state that began a mask mandate, say last week, is not going to see the same suppression of transmission as a state that has been rocking a mask mandate since April.

That being said, climate definitely makes a difference tho with regards to the efficacy of the virus on surfaces, where people spend their time, etc., and certainly factors into this. My point was to simply compare a huge population center (4th-most populous county in the country) to a ghost town with statehood (South Dakota) to demonstrate that the presence - or absence - of a mask mandate is a more important causal factor than population size (a flawed point brought up by the MWC board brain trust, Bob).

No I get what you were trying to do.  However painting a picture that shows masks being more effective than they are is almost as bad as saying they do not do anything.  It can give people a false sense of security and result in them not taking other measures.

I think Florida is a good comparison.  High population density, warm weather.  No mask Mandate and they have generally had a positive rate 45% higher or so than California.  That seems about right.

We need to put on masks, we need to social distance, we need to practice good hygeine.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No I get what you were trying to do.  However painting a picture that shows masks being more effective than they are is almost as bad as saying they do not do anything.  It can give people a false sense of security and result in them not taking other measures.

I think Florida is a good comparison.  High population density, warm weather.  No mask Mandate and they have generally had a positive rate 45% higher or so than California.  That seems about right.

We need to put on masks, we need to social distance, we need to practice good hygeine.

So true. I know a gunsmith who moved out of state (to MT) during the summer, and who stopped by to drop off a .308 he had f*cked up a few years* earlier (and never fixed) and was returning before he moved. He was a nuthugger to the bone. And in his science denial, as part of his "proof" that masks were bullshit, he asked me, "If they work, then why do we have to 'social distance' as well?"

I explained they were additive measures, but he wasn't buying it.

So I completely understand the entirely valid concern that overselling the role of masks (regardless of their efficacy) can have the very unintended consequence you state. Good point, and I'm glad you stated it.

*Twelve. Twelve years. :foottap:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So true. I know a gunsmith who moved out of state (to MT) during the summer, and who stopped by to drop off a .308 he had f*cked up a few years* earlier (and never fixed) and was returning before he moved. He was a nuthugger to the bone. And in his science denial, as part of his "proof" that masks were bullshit, he asked me, "If they work, then why do we have to 'social distance' as well?"

I explained they were additive measures, but he wasn't buying it.

So I completely understand the entirely valid concern that overselling the role of masks (regardless of their efficacy) can have the very unintended consequence you state. Good point, and I'm glad you stated it.

*Twelve. Twelve years. :foottap:

I have to admit, my opinion of the plebeian masses is lower than it was this time last year.

• Like 5

From a surgical nurse

Some people may not believe this, but there are actually jobs out there where people have been wearing masks before the VID was a thing. 

I guess I saw one too many posts about 'masks infringing on my constitutional rights.' To people like us who wear this get-up for a living you look like a f*ckin dork. 

Stop spreading hysteria that it's some grand tyrannical government conspiracy. If you don't want to wear a mask then fine, it doesn't bother me one bit, but don't justify it with extremism and grandiose displays of martyrdom.

You can also pull lumber without leather gloves, you can weld without a helmet, you can drive without a seatbelt, you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you can carry a round in the chamber, you can saw trees down without eye protection and chaps, you can NOT do a lot of things designed to improve safety... And people do! I see it in the OR All. The. Time. 
If you're not going to wear a mask then do it without being such a self righteous f*ckin weirdo.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go open all your sterile instruments for your spine surgery and put my mask on so I don't accidentally spew saliva on them while laughing at an Anesthesiologists rare, but witty joke. I mean, I guess I don't have to wear one since it's such a symbol of oppression. What would you prefer?

• Like 3