Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

Free the Klamath River !

Historic deal revives plan for largest US dam demolition

https://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-deal-revives-plan-largest-213326069.html

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Get rid of the dam and then build 10,000 wind mills and kill all the birds

Did you read the article ?

Or just assume this is a tree hugger move ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Was the river caught not wearing a mask?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13,000 wind turbines in Texas.

And the birds are fine.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The Klamath is probably the river I know least about in terms of the state's water laws, politics and history. But the fact that a multi-party agreement to remove an obsolete dam that doesn't store any water for irrigation that the company who owns it doesn't even want any more takes this much effort and will still likely face more litigation demonstrates that our water issues are not simply about environmentalists or farmers having too much power. 

Dam removal is an interesting thing, though I'm not confident it's going to be any sort of trend. But any successful movements on water policy will require this sort of cooperation. Courtrooms and statehouses won't get anything meaningful done. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

The Klamath is probably the river I know least about in terms of the state's water laws, politics and history. But the fact that a multi-party agreement to remove an obsolete dam that doesn't store any water for irrigation that the company who owns it doesn't even want any more takes this much effort and will still likely face more litigation demonstrates that our water issues are not simply about environmentalists or farmers having too much power. 

Dam removal is an interesting thing, though I'm not confident it's going to be any sort of trend. But any successful movements on water policy will require this sort of cooperation. Courtrooms and statehouses won't get anything meaningful done. 

I read the article linked, but it seemed too one-sided given this has taken so many years to make happen so I Googled it.  There are lots of interested parties.  It would suck to have bought land and built a house on the shores of one of these man-made lakes and watch your lake front dream home turn into a mud front home.  I have been contemplating buying a lake front property at some point.  I will definitely prefer property on natural lakes after reading about this.

For those saying this has nothing to do with tree huggers, guess again.  They aren't alone, but they are definitely involved.

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

You might want to actually read the article.  No mention of turbines.  Fair amt of pesticide talk.

37 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m sure we’ll hear a lot of bitching when the floods come. 

From the article

Removed would be the four southernmost dams in a string of six constructed in southern Oregon and far Northern California beginning in 1918.

They were built solely for power generation. They are not used for irrigation and not managed for flood control. 

32 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I read the article linked, but it seemed too one-sided given this has taken so many years to make happen so I Googled it.  There are lots of interested parties.  It would suck to have bought land and built a house on the shores of one of these man-made lakes and watch your lake front dream home turn into a mud front home.  I have been contemplating buying a lake front property at some point.  I will definitely prefer property on natural lakes after reading about this.

For those saying this has nothing to do with tree huggers, guess again.  They aren't alone, but they are definitely involved.

In California, most of the reservoirs don't have houses on them for various reasons. There are some exceptions, but even most of those exceptions are located on National Forest land... so you don't actually own the land the house is on. I'm not sure if any of these reservoirs have houses on them, but I actually imagine being a stone's throw away from a flowing Klamath River would be as attractive as being next to a hydroelectric reservoir. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

In California, most of the reservoirs don't have houses on them for various reasons. There are some exceptions, but even most of those exceptions are located on National Forest land... so you don't actually own the land the house is on. I'm not sure if any of these reservoirs have houses on them, but I actually imagine being a stone's throw away from a flowing Klamath River would be as attractive as being next to a hydroelectric reservoir. 

From what I read, there are houses along at least one of them.  It will definitely be different when the reservoirs empty.  It may be the right thing to do and I have no horse in the race.  The linked article made it seem like there is only upside to this.  There are also several cons...depending on who you are.  The people who live in and around the area were asked about it on a non-binding ballot measure.  They voted to keep the damns.

It was one of the best salmon fishing places in the State, if not the entire Northwest, however, the numbers declined precipitously after the dams were built. The Yurok had been pushing to get rid of these since at least 2004 when I first moved up there. Hopefully now, the great salmon runs of the past will become a reality again. 

7 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

From what I read, there are houses along at least one of them.  It will definitely be different when the reservoirs empty.  It may be the right thing to do and I have no horse in the race.  The linked article made it seem like there is only upside to this.  There are also several cons...depending on who you are.  The people who live in and around the area were asked about it on a non-binding ballot measure.  They voted to keep the damns.

Of course they are +++++ed.  They went from lakeside property to a dried up lake bed.  

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

The damns have been an ecological disaster.