Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DestinFlPackfan

Need some advice on probate.

My stepfather died recently. He and my mother were married for 27 years. 

Lived in the same house the whole time. Come to find out, my mom's name is not on the deed. The issue is going to probate. Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Lived in the same house the whole time. Come to find out, my mom's name is not on the deed. The issue is going to probate. Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. 

Not married? 

21 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

My best friend is a probate lawyer in Florida. If you have Qs, let me know, and PM them to me. I can see if I can get a good answer for you. 

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

My best friend is a probate lawyer in Florida. If you have Qs, let me know, and PM them to me. I can see if I can get a good answer for you. 

Isn't probate law state specific? Asking because I honestly don't know.

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Isn't probate law state specific? Asking because I honestly don't know.

Yeah. But I'm guessing he has family down there. If it's somewhere else, well, the dude would still probably have a sort of general idea, but might not know the intricate specifics of it. 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah. But I'm guessing he has family down there. If it's somewhere else, well, the dude would still probably have a sort of general idea, but might not know the intricate specifics of it. 

Sorry I didn't specify a state, didn't think about probate being state specific.  My mother lives in Texas. Thanks Joe. 

3 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Married. 

Not a lawyer, but I could give Rudy G a run as a layman - Would think the loan company might want to get her on the loan / title - Married might be the obvious nest survivor step 

If you’re over 50 you should have it checked on an annual basis.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I just got done finishing a CPE course on probate , estates, & trusts. LOL 

My recommendation would be to engage an attorney. If you pay for an engagement they are professionally obligated to look out for your best interests... If you take free advice there is no obligation, and there are no repercussions for bad advice. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

My recommendation would be to engage an attorney. If you pay for an engagement they are professionally obligated to look out for your best interests... If you take free advice there is no obligation, and there are no repercussions for bad advice. 

My ex-father in law passed away several years ago without a will. It was a pain in the ass for my ex and ended up costing probably 5 grand, and the total "estate" was was worth less than 200k, to eventually get everything settled.

Why didn't he have a will? Because he irrationally hated lawyers and wouldn't pay $1,000 to have one prepared.

I loved him, he was a great guy but :facepalm:

On 11/18/2020 at 10:41 AM, bornontheblue said:

After doing some research we found out that in Texas, the Right of Survivorship,  is in play. My mom will get ownership of her house in two weeks. Minus a $450 fee.........there's always a damn fee.