Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

battle.borne

Nevada's Flagship Institution

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

You shouldn't care in Boise...It means something to me though.

In response to question 1? Maybe? Vegas and Brian Greenspun trying to weasel its way into Morrill Act money with a play to get rid of the regents! The plot thickens!

And really. Vegas trying to say it’s a land grant institution. 😂😂😂 

32 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

In response to question 1? Maybe? Vegas and Brian Greenspun trying to weasel its way into Morrill Act money with a play to get rid of the regents! The plot thickens!

And really. Vegas trying to say it’s a land grant institution. 😂😂😂 

Interesting theory, how would that have worked? I remember there was a movement to somehow recognize UNLV as a land grant institution. Fortunately Sandoval was gov at the time instead of Sisolak.

https://thisisreno.com/2017/06/governor-nixes-southern-nevada-attempt-to-take-land-grant-university-status/

The list of land grant universities is pretty prestigious.  Both the SEC and the Big Ten are a super majority

Interestingly, the ACC and the Big 12 have fewer land grant institutions than the MW does.  imho the hypothetical appeal of Colorado State to the Big 12 (Nebraska could go back in 2023..) is largely because of land grant status.

Here is a list of all 48 land grant institutions that play Division I football.  underlined are AAU, total of 16

ACC

1. Clemson
  2. North Carolina State
  3. Virginia Tech

B1G

1. Illinois
  2. Maryland
  3. Michigan State
  4. Minnesota
  5. Nebraska
  6. Ohio State
  7. Penn State
  8. Purdue
  9. Rutgers
  10. Wisconsin

BIG12

1. Kansas State
  2. Iowa State
  3. Oklahoma State
  4. West Virginia

FCS

1. Cornell (Ivy League)
  2. Delaware (CAA)
  3. Idaho (Big Sky)
  4. Maine (CAA)
  5. Montana State (Big Sky)
  6. New Hampshire (CAA)
  7. North Dakota State (Summit)
  8. Rhode Island (CAA)
  9. South Dakota State (Summit)

Independent

1. Connecticut
  2. Massachusetts
  3. New Mexico State

MOUNTAIN WEST

1. Colorado State
  2. Hawai’i
  3. Nevada
  4. Utah State
  5. Wyoming

PAC12

1. University of California
  2. University of Arizona
  3. Washington State
  4. Oregon State

SEC

1. Arkansas
  2. Auburn
  3. Florida
  4. Georgia
  5. Kentucky
  6. Louisiana State 
  7. Mississippi State
  8. Missouri
  9. Tennessee
  10. Texas A&M

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Also on a historical note.........Elko was the original location, was moved to Reno after founding in Elko 

You should see their goal post uprights. Boise grandmas would roll over in their shallow graves.

410673_main_portable_goal_post.jpg

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 hours ago, ZK686 said:

"Nevada's Flagship institution" So, out of all two universities, it's the flagship? Lol...

There's Great Basin College and Henderson State College and amazingly enough UNLV is not Top4.  They are behind Truckee Meadows Community College.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

2 hours ago, battle.borne said:

There's Great Basin College and Henderson State College and amazingly enough UNLV is not Top4.  They are behind Truckee Meadows Community College.

In addition, I think they may be behind Western Nevada College, Sierra Nevada College, and Bishop Gorman High School

2 hours ago, Packfan11.1 said:

In addition, I think they may be behind Western Nevada College, Sierra Nevada College, and Bishop Gorman High School

Sierra Nevada College actually recently changed its name to Sierra Nevada University.

And I’m sure the same will happen with Nevada State College soon. They’re up to 5,000 students and one of the fastest growing in the country.

On that note, what ever happened with that planned Mormon University in the Moapa Valley?