Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idkk

SJSU @ Fresno

SAN José STATE UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL FACT SHEET (Game #5)

San José State at Fresno State
Bulldog Stadium, Fresno, Calif.
Saturday, November 21, 2020, 4:00 p.m. (PST)
CBS Sports Network

San José State record:
 4-0, 4-0 Mountain West. Most recently, the Spartans defeated UNLV, 34-17, in a Mountain West game on November 14. San José State has wins in its last five games dating back to the 17-16 victory over Fresno State to conclude the 2019 season.

Fresno State record: 3-1, 3-1 Mountain West. Most recently, the Bulldogs Defeated Utah State, 35-16, on November 14.

Play-by-Play Radio Coverage: KDOW (1220 AM, Palo Alto; 95.3 FM, San Francisco) will broadcast the Fresno State game. Justin Allegri calls the play-by-play. Kevin Richardson provides commentary. The Fresno State broadcast begins at 3:30 p.m. (PT) with a pregame show.

Television:  The CBS Sports Network will provide broadcast coverage.  Rich Waltz calls the play-by-play. Aaron Murray serves as the analyst. Sherree Burress is the sideline reporter. The CBS Sports Network telecast begins at 4:00 p.m. (PT).

Series history: Fresno State leads the series, 42-38-3. The Spartans have won four of the seven games played since San Jose State joined the Mountain West in 2013 and five of the last eight contests in this series since 2011. A year ago, San Jose State posted a 17-16 win over Fresno State in CEFCU Stadium to conclude the 2019 season. Fresno State's last win in the series was a 31-13 decision in 2018.
The San Jose State-Fresno State series is the Spartans' longest running one with 83 games played dating back to 1921. For San Jose State, it has played only two other schools as many as 60 times. The Spartans' series with Stanford started in 1900 with 67 games played through 2013. San Jose State's original traditional rival in many sports, the University of the Pacific discontinued football in 1995 after the two teams had faced each other 68 times starting in 1921.

Playing for the Valley Trophy: Since 2013, San Jose State and Fresno State have played to possess the Valley Trophy signifying San Jose State's location in the high tech based Silicon Valley and Fresno State's location in California's fertile San Joaquin Valley. The two California State University system schools are separated by approximately 145 driving miles.
Since the inception of the Valley Trophy with its large "V" attached to a base, San Jose State has wins in four of the seven contests. The home team has wins in five of the seven Valley Trophy games including each of the last two.

Winning at Fresno's Bulldog Stadium: Since 1987, San Jose State has a 3-13 record against Fresno State in Fresno. In their three wins, the Spartans' margin of victory was by less than a touchdown in each game.

Both sides now: Defensive backs coach J. D. Williams is the one current coach to coach at San Jose State and at Fresno State. Williams was at San Jose State during the 1999 season. He stints at Fresno State include serving as a graduate assistant in 1997, and as an assistant coach during the 2000 and 2001 seasons and from 2017 to the present.
The late Darryl Rogers (1934-2018) was a successful head coach at both schools and continues as a finalist for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame as a head coach. Rogers coached the Bulldogs from the 1966 through 1972 seasons posting a 43-32-1 win-loss record. He was San Jose State's head coach from 1973 through 1975 leading the Spartans to a 22-9-3 record and a 1975 Pacific Coast Athletic Association championship.
Others to coach at both schools include former Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers head coach Dennis Erickson and former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz.

Source: https://sjsuspartans.com/news/2020/11/16/football-spartans-seek-to-retain-valley-trophy-stay-unbeaten.aspx

5 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

image.jpeg.ae005d73e6b0e7b0a94400121a0d73df.jpeg

I'm not taking this rivalry game lightly. I think it will be close to the very end. 

2 minutes ago, crixus said:

I'm not taking this rivalry game lightly. I think it will be close to the very end. 

Nah.  FS is  better than last year, but has super glaring issues.  OL, special teams, run D, etc.  The teams they've played can reliably exploit those. 

Sparta is firing on all cylinders.  It wont be a blowout, but I dont see it really in question.  I think FS needs another year (assuming they get to actually practice, etc) to pull it together to regain the pitcher role in this pitch and catch relationship.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

I hope we don't overlook SJSU since our True Rivalry game is next week against SDSU!

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

I’m actually not feeling too good about SJSU’s chances against Fresno State. I don’t like the matchup between the Bulldogs’ passing game and the Spartans’ defensive secondary. Four different players have spent time at one of the cornerback spots for SJSU, with a newcomer, redshirt freshman transfer from Kansas State (Kenyon Reed) seeing his first game action over a good portion of the UNLV game last Saturday. That CB spot has been vulnerable to some bid plays the season, which is right in Fresno State’s wheelhouse. I do like SJSU QB Nick Nash against the Fresno State defense, which has had trouble with mobile QB’s. I think this game will come down to turnovers. I doubt either team will looking past the other.

Champ Logo.jpg

3 hours ago, 1IvyDog said:

I hope we don't overlook SJSU since our True Rivalry game is next week against SDSU!

I doubt we're overlooking the spartans given basically every vet on this team has experienced a loss to them.  

1 hour ago, Mike Morgan said:

I’m actually not feeling too good about SJSU’s chances against Fresno State. I don’t like the matchup between the Bulldogs’ passing game and the Spartans’ defensive secondary. Four different players have spent time at one of the cornerback spots for SJSU, with a newcomer, redshirt freshman transfer from Kansas State (Kenyon Reed) seeing his first game action over a good portion of the UNLV game last Saturday. That CB spot has been vulnerable to some bid plays the season, which is right in Fresno State’s wheelhouse. I do like SJSU QB Nick Nash against the Fresno State defense, which has had trouble with mobile QB’s. I think this game will come down to turnovers. I doubt either team will looking past the other.

It comes down to the Fresno OL, tbh.   the SJSU secondary is the weakest link but we gotta keep Haener upright enough to hit the deep shots that'll be there. Rivers has been carrying the OL on his back in the run game and SJSU is really good against the run anyways. I don't trust the 'Dog defense in a game where neither team scores less than 30 - FS is a finesse team, as cliche as it sounds, and a track meet is our best bet to win.

I wish we had Zane Pope...we don't have a chain-mover guy at WR this year.  Maybe Josh Kelly grows into that role but he's still learning.  

23 hours ago, godogsgo said:

Nah.  FS is  better than last year, but has super glaring issues.  OL, special teams, run D, etc.  The teams they've played can reliably exploit those. 

Sparta is firing on all cylinders.  It wont be a blowout, but I dont see it really in question.  I think FS needs another year (assuming they get to actually practice, etc) to pull it together to regain the pitcher role in this pitch and catch relationship.

I see what you did there....

The best team that either school has played is The Fighting SUDS of Carson St.

I'm really happy about how that one turned out. And even in  the nightmare years of '17 and 18 when we were getting smoked like green bud, the boys got up for That Red Team, so this result should be even more positive.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

The Spartans lead 4-3 in the Valley Rivalry trophy era which began in 2013 when San Jose State joined the MW.