Jump to content
crixus

AP & Coaches Polls

Recommended Posts

They were receiving 4-5 points in the Coaches poll last week, now they are all getting 11-12.  Last week in the AP, Boise had 5 points, Nevada had 1, and SJSU hadn't cracked it yet.  This week, Boise got 6, SJSU 5, and Nevada 3.  Bottom line is that the poll voters are saying there is no statistical difference among the three judged on top of the heap in the MW -- almost like a three-way tie.  But there is always next week, and as a Spartan fan, I know Fresno would *really* love to take the Spartans down a notch, and they are more than capable of doing so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

They were receiving 4-5 points in the Coaches poll last week, now they are all getting 11-12.  Last week in the AP, Boise had 5 points, Nevada had 1, and SJSU hadn't cracked it yet.  This week, Boise got 6, SJSU 5, and Nevada 3.  Bottom line is that the poll voters think there are three pretty evenly matched teams at the top of the heap in the MW.  But there is always next week, and as a Spartan fan, I know Fresno would *really* love to take the Spartans down a notch, and they are more than capable of doing so.

I love to beat SJSU cause we need to win out to make the champ game. But at this point SJSU is basically just another team to me. Rivalry wise Hawaii, SDSU, Boise are all ahead of SJSU in my book. I guess it is just my age because there has really only been one huge SJSU football game in my books (the year they ended Fresno's undefeated season). But even that year I knew Fresno's undefeated record was kinda fools gold (Fresno was good that year but no way a top 15 team) and that loss hurt wayy less than the Boise lose in 01 or even the Nevada in 05. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

I love to beat SJSU cause we need to win out to make the champ game. But at this point SJSU is basically just another team to me. Rivalry wise Hawaii, SDSU, Boise are all ahead of SJSU in my book. I guess it is just my age because there has really only been one huge SJSU football game in my books (the year they ended Fresno's undefeated season). But even that year I knew Fresno's undefeated record was kinda fools gold (Fresno was good that year but no way a top 15 team) and that loss hurt wayy less than the Boise lose in 01 or even the Nevada in 05. 

Yeah, I guess people younger than, say, late 40s can't really remember (except as a kid, maybe, certainly less than college-age) when SJSU-FSU was *the* thing in the 1980s and early 1990s, until Fresno left for the WAC.  Sweeney and Gilbert.  Towel waving.  "Take off that RED shirt!"  Mike Perez against Stephen Baker "the Touchdown Maker".  That insane 1986 game.  When for 9 of 11 seasons from 1981 to 1991, one of them won the PCAA/Big West(FSU five times, SJSU four times).  Holy smokes, that was fun.  It was on a more regional, less national stage, but for those involved, it was huge.

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ziggy29 said:

Yeah, I guess people younger than, say, late 40s can't really remember (except as a kid, maybe, certainly less than college-age) when SJSU-FSU was *the* thing in the 1980s and early 1990s.  Sweeney and Gilbert.  Towel waving.  "Take off that RED shirt!"  Mike Perez against Stephen Baker "the Touchdown Maker".  That insane 1986 game.  When for 9 of 11 seasons from 1981 to 1991, one of them won the PCAA/Big West(FSU five times, SJSU four times).  Holy smokes, that was fun.  It was on a more regional, less national stage, but for those involved, it was huge.

I was at that 1986 game, and it's still the best football game I've been too (of any kind). Most of my dormies left early, but a few of us stayed and saw the Spartans comeback. :thumbsup: 

 

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crixus said:

I was at that 1986 game, and it's still the best football game I've been too (of any kind). Most of my dormies left early, but a few of us stayed and saw the Spartans comeback. :thumbsup: 

Yep.  I almost had to beg to find someone to cover my scheduled shift at work (I was also a student at the time) so I could be there.  That was crazy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

Yep.  I almost had to beg to find someone to cover my scheduled shift at work (I was also a student at the time) so I could be there.  That was crazy. 

Sports Illustrated named it the college football game of the year in 1986. I hope this weekend's game will be just as exciting! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will this be the year we (MW) do not get any team in the top 25?

Will we also have no representative in the AP?

Boise and SDSU will not be there, Who will.

Has anyone actually seen Coastal Carolina? Are they really deserving of number 15? Marshall perhaps but CCU...I don't know.

Of course this season is partly the fault of Hair but god what a mess.

I fear this season may be a view of next year as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ziggy29 said:

They were receiving 4-5 points in the Coaches poll last week, now they are all getting 11-12.  Last week in the AP, Boise had 5 points, Nevada had 1, and SJSU hadn't cracked it yet.  This week, Boise got 6, SJSU 5, and Nevada 3.  Bottom line is that the poll voters are saying there is no statistical difference among the three judged on top of the heap in the MW -- almost like a three-way tie.  But there is always next week, and as a Spartan fan, I know Fresno would *really* love to take the Spartans down a notch, and they are more than capable of doing so.

They are also saying any team with 5 or 6 points or less is not worth a damn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 1066 said:

Will this be the year we (MW) do not get any team in the top 25?

Will we also have no representative in the AP?

Boise and SDSU will not be there, Who will.

Has anyone actually seen Coastal Carolina? Are they really deserving of number 15? Marshall perhaps but CCU...I don't know.

Of course this season is partly the fault of Hair but god what a mess.

I fear this season may be a view of next year as well.

San Jose St looks like a top 25 type team. Boise is still very good. They ran into the best BYU team since 1996 and a QB that is making 4 or 5 ridiculous throws a game. 
 

the bottom looks a lot better to. New Mexico has no wins but is an extremely difficult out and there is no quit in that team. 
 

I think BSU, San Jose and SDSU would give any team problems. On TV San Jose St looks like a P5 team to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

SJSU is soon going to want to kick the other 11 schools out of the MWC. 

Maybe kick out Fresno at the very least.

They haven't kept up with SJSU.   

  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Maybe kick out Fresno at the very least.

They haven't kept up with SJSU.   

I’m ready for @smltwnrckr, @creeper86,@SJSUMFA2013, @Rocket, @SalinasSpartan,@babigos, @Anon5251042, and @Maynard Delectoto turn into TSJSUF!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, thedude15 said:

I love to beat SJSU cause we need to win out to make the champ game. But at this point SJSU is basically just another team to me. Rivalry wise Hawaii, SDSU, Boise are all ahead of SJSU in my book. I guess it is just my age because there has really only been one huge SJSU football game in my books (the year they ended Fresno's undefeated season). But even that year I knew Fresno's undefeated record was kinda fools gold (Fresno was good that year but no way a top 15 team) and that loss hurt wayy less than the Boise lose in 01 or even the Nevada in 05. 

ehh, the fool's gold feeling didn't start to seep in until about 3/4 of the way through the year as basically every defensive starter except derron smith got hurt.  That said, by the time SJSU rolled around and i saw we were starting Jonathan Norton because every other DB was hurt i was pretty resigned....i was helping my old man clear out a stump during the first half and jackson texted me that it was like 35-35 in the second quarter and i just went "yup we aint winning this one".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...