Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Rank ‘Em: MW Week 4

If
1. San Jose State

The Once and Future King’s
2. Boise State

3. San Diego State

Mmmmmm...Donuts (drooling sounds)

4. Nevada

So You’re Telling Me There’s A Chance
5. Hawaii

6. Fresno State

Sweet, Sweet Boot
7. Colorado State

Pandemic
8. Covid

Day Drinking Is Okay Sometimes
9. Wyoming

10. Air Force

Sometimes It’s Actually Prescribed
11. New Mexico

12. UNLV

13. Utah State 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

30 minutes ago, Swedish said:

I’m just going to say don’t get used to New Mexico being at the bottom of these lists anymore. Things are looking bright in NM. 

I tend to agree. Minus the 3 big shot plays to Doubs, UNM kind of dominated that game last night. If Rocky can get some DB's who can actually run and cover, that D will be really tough.

13 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

I tend to agree. Minus the 3 big shot plays to Doubs, UNM kind of dominated that game last night. If Rocky can get some DB's who can actually run and cover, that D will be really tough.

And if UNM actually won they would be ranked higher. Who cares if they look competitive losing? 

5 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

And if UNM actually won they would be ranked higher. Who cares if they look competitive losing? 

To a degree.  In 2018, SJSU was 1-11 but anyone who watched that team regularly could see a LOT of improvement from the 2017 team that was 2-10 (OK, except for the Army game).   Often the improvement precedes the winning, since it can take time (and good coaching) to develop a winner's mentality and learn how to win the games that are close and winnable.  So the 1-11 record was very disappointing but we could *see* this team was better in most ways beyond the wins and losses.  And in 2019 it started translating into more wins (including payback on Army AT West Point), and that's continued to carry over into 2020 (obviously).  

1 hour ago, Swedish said:

I’m just going to say don’t get used to New Mexico being at the bottom of these lists anymore. Things are looking bright in NM. 

Don't sleep on Danny G. either.

I've been closely following SDSU football for 30 years and probably the worst position coach we've had during that time was Chris Ash - who amazingly managed to get hired as the HC of a B1G school not long ago. Ash coached the secondary for Chuck "Fourth and" Long and it was the most undisciplined mess since Barry Lamb was the DC during the Faulk years. Yet Gonzales kept bringing in better and better talent and coaching them up and the last few years we've had several guys who were first team all-conference and a couple were drafted. So I see a good future for the Lobos.

The opposite is the case with USU. Rehiring Andersen was a major mistake as many of us here thought when it was announced. IMO, if USU just elevates the interim guy to HC, that will be another mistake. In the meantime, Andersen did not recruit well and USU's current class looks to me to be the worst in the conference. No bueno.

11 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Why would Rocky Long leave a HC position to be a DC?

All right, I'll humor you.

1. Rocky's love has always been coaching defense, not running the whole show. He would never admit it but I have little doubt his HC interest was pretty much all about earning 3-4 times as much doing that job. Now he and his family are set for life financially.

2. Rocky would also never admit it but he's as unable to handle criticism from the media as is Donald Trump. Rocky isn't as verbal about it as Trump but the last couple years at SDSU it was sometimes embarrassing how he condescendingly dealt with members of the media during his press conferences. As a coordinator you never have to do pressers.

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

He hated the SDSU fans, prolly.

Actually that's part of it too. He got tired being criticized for his boring offense and because he's so old school, all that matters to him is winning conference titles. Hell, I'm not sure Rocky even knows what the NY6 bowl is.

Rocky also never really was San Diego. Although he loved living in Mission Beach for its quirkiness, Rocky clearly never much liked having to rub elbows with the Gucci crowd of rich lawyers and businessmen whose donations are so crucial. The only time I ever spoke with him beyond just saying hi was at a gathering like that when I walked up to introduce myself. We spoke for maybe 10 minutes and part of the conversation concerned how ill at ease we both felt being surrounded by such people. I'm pretty sure Rocky was the only person there wearing cowboy boots.

43 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He didn't want to be a HC and all that comes with it. He's happier being a position coach.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

44 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He didn't want to be a HC and all that comes with it. He's happier being a position coach

Americans Mayor

1.  Sparty

2. Nu - va - duh

3. Blase

4. Carson State

5. Free Snow

6. The Islanders

7 - 12. Pick 'em

13. Trump legal challenges 

Americans Mayor

Tier 1

San Jose St

Boise St

San Diego St

Tier 2

Nevada -  As much as a 4-0 record should put UN in tier 1, things are about to get real for the Pack

Fresno St

Tier 3

Air Force

Hawaii

Colorado St

Wyoming

Tier 4

New Mexico

UNLV

Utah St

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

He could have move on to big pay days. But Rocky doesn’t care about those things. He loves New Mexico but they didn’t love him back so he left. Now they have made up and he is back.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

All right, I'll humor you.

1. Rocky's love has always been coaching defense, not running the whole show. He would never admit it but I have little doubt his HC interest was pretty much all about earning 3-4 times as much doing that job. Now he and his family are set for life financially.

2. Rocky would also never admit it but he's as unable to handle criticism from the media as is Donald Trump. Rocky isn't as verbal about it as Trump but the last couple years at SDSU it was sometimes embarrassing how he condescendingly dealt with members of the media during his press conferences. As a coordinator you never have to do pressers.

Thanks for that info. Bronco was a lot like Rocky. The only exception was he cared about non conference games Rocky didn’t very much. He even called them pre season games. 

side note I really miss the MTN I loved watching Rocky’s along with the other coaches show each week.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

He missed a New Mexico treasure... Hatch green chile!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."