Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NVGiant

A pretty good take

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

AOC graduated from BU. She was a bartender by choice, or from drawing really dumb ideas on economics from her economics degree that made her unhireable. It’s not like the squad is made up of plumbers or community college graduates. 

Umm...isn't that true of almost everyone in Washington? 

For me, this is what is particularly frustrating about the present anti-intellectual leanings of the GOP. Don't we want smart well educated folks running our country? Plumbers are awesome, and well paid, when you need them but I don't really want one as the CEO of the companies in my retirement portfolio.

22 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

AOC graduated from BU. She was a bartender by choice, or from drawing really dumb ideas on economics from her economics degree that made her unhireable. It’s not like the squad is made up of plumbers or community college graduates. 

Cori Bush (the rep who got confused for Breonna Taylor by Republicans) disagrees

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

40 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Umm...isn't that true of almost everyone in Washington? 

For me, this is what is particularly frustrating about the present anti-intellectual leanings of the GOP. Don't we want smart well educated folks running our country? Plumbers are awesome, and well paid, when you need them but I don't really want one as the CEO of the companies in my retirement portfolio.

Well yes. But Spanberger and Maher are looking at reality, seeing Biden defeated Trump with historic turnout and everywhere else Democrats got smoked. They are reflecting on that saying what is it about us.

Dem leadership and the squad on the other hand are saying “as long as we keep repeating the message, those +++++ing moron voters will see the light.” And what those voters are hearing is “You +++++ing morons don’t know what’s good for you, come to the light.” The point Maher is making is if Democrats are so smart, and these plebs so easily duped by the dumb Republicans, why the he’ll isn’t everyone asking why the smart guys can’t figure it out.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

35 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Exactly. As far as the woke stuff goes, yea I agree with him wholeheartedly that shit needs to go away. But his prescription to become less elitist is to “listen to Abigail Spanberger, not AOC, Omar, and Tlaib”, and that’s just off. AOC is Puerto Rican and was a bartender before being elected. And even if you want to write her off as a “coastal elite” because she’s from NYC, Tlaib is the daughter of Palestinian immigrants from Michigan, and Omar is a damn refugee from Somalia. We need to shut these people up and listen to the white former CIA agent representing DC suburbs to be “less elitist”?

Obama What GIF

I get the elitist criticism but it cannot be honestly applied to progressives. If anything, the moderate Dem establishment is elite, same as the Republican establishment.

“Defund the police” and all that jazz is not an elitist sentiment, it was created by working class people on the ground of protest movements.. if you’re calling it elitist you probably think funding by the the nefarious Jew Soros is the only way black and brown people would stand up for themselves and want change for working people and for police not to kill them 

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

5 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Cori Bush (the rep who got confused for Breonna Taylor by Republicans) disagrees

Who? I must have missed her Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone covers.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Well yes. But Spanberger and Maher are looking at reality, seeing Biden defeated Trump with historic and everywhere else Democrats got smoked. They are reflecting on that saying what is it about us.

Dem leadership and the squad on the other hand are saying “as long as we keep repeating the message, those +++++ing moron voters will see the light.” And what those voters are hearing is “You +++++ing morons don’t know what’s good for you, come to the light.” The point Maher is making is if Democrats are so smart, and these plebs so easily duped by the dumb Republicans, why the he’ll isn’t everyone asking why the smart guys can’t figure it out.

Why did every Dem who supported Medicare for All in a swing district win their seat? How did progressive measures pass in red states? How does Sherrod Brown get repeatedly re-elected in a red state? Don’t be silly. 

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Who? I must have missed her Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone covers.

Just call her Breonna, like the guys you voted for 

kidding, that was harsh

7 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Why did every Dem who supported Medicare for All in a swing district win their seat? How did progressive measures pass in red states? How does Sherrod Brown get repeatedly re-elected in a red state? Don’t be silly. 

What swing districts? Why are they still red states? Why did Republicans gain on the state level and not Democrats? Why did progressive measures fail in Califreakinfornia?

42 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Micro or more regionalized economies.

Why do 90% of the apples here in Utah come from Washington ? Why am I buying products from half a world away when many can be produced right here ?  Why are we as consumers driven by price and not the fact that when I shop at a big box retailer, I am actually hurting my local economy ?

Short term selfishness ? Bragging rights because I got a good deal ?

These are the kind of things that truly hurt us economically.

Couldn't disagree more

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lol no. Nice try. Keep whistling past the graveyard though.

This is why Trump lost. Total conservative bubblethink.

16 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What swing districts? Why are they still red states? Why did Republicans gain on the state level and not Democrats? Why did progressive measures fail in Califreakinfornia?

Mike Levin in Califreakinfornia won in a swing district after he primaried a moderate Dem. 

They’re still red states because the culture war is effectively waged by Republicans there. Economic populism is the only way to cut into that (as Sherrod Brown and Jon Tester prove), which, unfortunately, many people didn’t run on, including Biden. 

44 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Micro or more regionalized economies.

Why do 90% of the apples here in Utah come from Washington ? Why am I buying products from half a world away when many can be produced right here ?  Why are we as consumers driven by price and not the fact that when I shop at a big box retailer, I am actually hurting my local economy ?

Short term selfishness ? Bragging rights because I got a good deal ?

These are the kind of things that truly hurt us economically.

First off why can’t I spell due correctly?  Good lord.....

People are going to maximize their own utility or value.  In that Adam Smith is correct.  To think otherwise is foolish.  Bigger isn’t necessarily worse if bigger is more efficient.  

But our economic model has to account for the fact that “Nation States” will also act to maximize the value for their people.   To think otherwise is equally foolish.  The economy is largely medium to large enterprises interacting with a universe of “Nation States”.  If the leaders of “Nation States” ignore the good of their own people too long you get the rise of Trumpism and @halfmanhalfbronco’s Dad correctly crying that no one cares about us.   

The new model has to appropriately as a “US nation state” interact with medium to enterprise companies in a manner that is fair to our citizens.  Plus it must spur new business ideas that will help replace jobs lost to automation.   

32 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Was their a Dem who supported Medicare for all in a swing district.  Curious if you can cite one? 

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Was their a Dem who supported Medicare for all in a swing district.  Curious if you can cite one? 

Mike Levin 

Katie Porter 

Matt Cartwright 

Peter Defazio 

Ann Kilpatrick

Jared Golden 

Josh Harder 

Susan Wild 

Tbh, I’m more of a public option guy, but it shows that leaning into economic progressive policies does not hurt you, and can even blunt Republican race-hysteria attacks. 

1 minute ago, Maji said:

They need to go do Incessant features at diners in the inner cities to get into the mind of the anti-Trump voter now. Only fair 

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The theory actually worked well in the early 1980’s when marginal tax rates were 70 plus percent.   

Nobody ever paid 70 plus percent back then. The tax code back then was filled with loopholes, abs it was very easy to create passive losses (which were fully deductible back then ) through tax shelters. The 81 tax reform, and the 86 tax reform bills lowered marginal rates substantially , but they also closed tons of loopholes the wealthy used to avoid the 70 percent rate. 

4 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

A focus on economic populism would help the Democratic Party.

But where Maher errs here is accepting the framing of reactionary Republicans with the "wokeism" and "far left" baiting bullshit. Don't give that stuff credence. Read a Fox News comment section about the Squad if you really want to know the source of the GOP's criticism of those women. Send them back to their country, execute them, they're Muslim terrorists, etc.

Basically, no matter how moderate you are, the Republicans will say the same thing and hit the same dogwhistles about you and call you a communist.. Instead of trying to out-conservative them (conservatives know you're full of shit and won't vote for you anyway), out-populism them. Offer real material benefits. Keep the conversation focused on dinner table economics, and you'll derail any culture war narrative the GOP offers.

Also per your post liberals will all call any conservative a racist blah blah blah etc...

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Well like I said, if you want to dismiss AOC as a “coastal elite” you still have Tlaib, the daughter of Palestinian immigrants, and Omar, a Somalian refugee; both from the Midwest. But sure, let’s tell them to stfu and listen to the ex CIA agent representing the D.C. suburbs. She clearly has her finger on the pulse of the working class.