Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

Mandalorian Season 2

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

No! After Thrones biffed the last two seasons and JK Rowling got canceled for wrongthink, Star Wars is the last semblance of a monoculture we have. This stuff is important, damn it!

I like mando as much as the next guy but reconciling star wars into anything cohesive died a a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. Simple star wars is much better than turning it into a logical rat's nest. It was better with mystery and wonder. Star wars is in the heart not the head.

O

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Just finished season 1 and the premier of season 2. Best Star Wars franchise I’ve seen.

Now to nitpick the world building (amidst showers of boos and thrown vegetables). Three things.

In the season 1 finale, armor making Mandalorian lady says the “songs” speak of mandalorions fighting the Jedi “eons” ago.

1.Eons???? If I have the timeline right, the series takes place post Jedi but pre Rey. That’s what, a 20 year time period? 25 at most. Luke Skywalker is definitely still a thing in New Republican lore! Leia is the freaking commanding general backing the shaky Republic. Baby Yoda is old enough to have been born when Qui Gon Jin lived, let alone the fall of the old Republic. It’s ridiculous that the Jedi are almost mythical at this point. They were an instrumental part of the fall of the old Republic and the empire within Timothy Olyphant’s lifetime, he watched the end of Return of the Jedi on the local news!

2. Songs??? Most of the main characters aren’t dirt farmers like Luke or rice patty peasants like the village in season 1. These people have shown themselves to have vast knowledge in intergalactic space travel, incredible talent at operating and mechanically repairing freaking space ships, and more than a little ability at the wizardry of their advanced medicine. So why the hell is STEM training so widely pervasive, yet those same people have to rely on songs in the oral tradition? The liberal arts really, really, really +++++ed up and declined in this universe. Maybe it’s meant to be a warning, I don’t know.

3. It would be better if the Last Jedi never happened. That’s not a critique of the series, just facts.

I think 1. refers to the Mandalorian wars that predated the Star Wars timeline by thousands of years. With respect to the lack of knowledge about the Jedi, it doesn't seem to make sense based on the timeline of events. Even high ranking imperial officials who were likely around during the Clone Wars didn't believe that Vader wielded real power until he demonstrated it first hand on them. But maybe their extinction and eradication from history by the empire hastened things. Who knows whether Luke Skywalker was remembered as a Jedi Master at this point or merely a hero of the rebellion. The simplest explanation is that the Clone Wars were originally written to have happened much earlier in the timeline than they wound up occurring. 

2. I think the Mandalorians are unique. They're a warrior culture saturated with their own customs and forms of knowledge. Din is seemingly a member of a particularly regressive and revisionist cult within the Mandalorian cultural milieu. He isn't even aware of other Mandalorian cultures and assumes all other coverts share his own culture. Bo Katan is well aware of the implications of his upbringing when she meets him.

I also would not be surprised if the instability caused by the fall of the republic and a totalitarian regime caused massive disruptions in the dissemination of information and culture across the galaxy such that certain parts of the galaxy were dissimilated from any political affiliation/therefore had no news of what was going on. We see similar things occurring in our own world. Pakhtun tribesmen know how to operate stinger missile systems and can manufacture modern weapons but wouldn't be able to tell you anything about US or British politics. I'm sure the same could be said about many Americans, lol. 

3. Probably. 

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I like mando as much as the next guy but reconciling star wars into anything cohesive died a a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. Simple star wars is much better than turning it into a logical rat's nest. It was better with mystery and wonder. Star wars is in the heart not the head.

Just wait until Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau are given control of the franchise over Kathleen Kennedy.  Then we'll start to see things become a lot more cohesive again.

Probably my favorite show right now and I'm not even a Star Wars guy. The show is pretty formulaic (Mando asks for assistance, people give assistance but only for something in return, Baby Yoda does something cute), but it happens to be a really good formula. I would be obsessed with this show if it came out when I was a kid.

I thought it was funny that they brought in Timothy Olyphant for Season 2 because a lot of the time it feels like Mando is just doing an Olyphant impression.

I've been a Favreau fan since Swingers, he's gotta be one of the most talented people in Hollywood right now. 

Finally got caught up in season 2 (watched the first 3 episodes) and absolutely loved the intro of

Spoiler

Bo-Katan. Loved the cartoons, so it was cool seeing a character from them. Also liked the fan service of showing Boba-Fett at the end of episode 1.

I'm not sure what spoilers can be included or not.

12 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

It's become a family favorite in our house.

I had to laugh at my 5 year old who said "it's so annoying how we have to wait a whole week for a new episode. Why can't it be like normal shows?" :lol:

There is something good to learning about delayed gratification. :D

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:24 AM, retrofade said:

Some interesting things...

Reveal hidden contents

The hooded figure was Koska Reeves, one of the Mandalorians with Bo-Katan. 

I would expect Ahsoka to show up at the end of the next episode. The reason for that is that Dave Filoni is directing Episode 5, so I'd imagine that as the creator of the Ahsoka character, he'd also like to be the one to bring her to life in live action. 

The "Children of the Watch" is really a interesting thing. So if we go back a little bit. Din Djarin (Mando) was rescued by members of Death Watch --- you can see their emblem on their armor --- and then raised by them. That was somewhere between 20-19 BBY. Death Watch was a zealot group who wanted to bring back the war culture of the Mandalorians and viewed the peace that Duchess Satine championed for their people as heresy. Bo-Katan was a member of Death Watch at that point, but later abandoned them when they aligned with Maul, with she and her Nite Owls becoming their own entity, and later resulting in her claiming the Darksaber and the title of Manda'lore. 

Death Watch themselves disbanded soon after their rescue of Din Djarin, in 19 BBY when Maul took control of Mandalore. They later became the main group of Imperial Super Commandos, culminating in the establishment of the Imperial school on Mandalore that Sabine Wren initially trained at. 

I'm positing that the "Child(ren) of the Watch" are established of literal children and foundlings, and perhaps some older members who didn't join with the Imperials. They've delved even deeper into Mandalorian history, and have christened themselves a zealot win of the Death Watch, with "The Way" becoming their religion. This is somewhat strengthened by the fact that we had Paz Vizsla (voiced by Jon Favreau, and presumably a child of Pre) show up in S1E3 of The Mandalorian. 

Spoiler

regarding the children of the watch notice the armorer's helmet. I never thought about it before but I saw somewhere online and thought it may be a clue.

The-Mandalorian-Armorer.jpg

Are those horns like Mauls? Kinda, maybe? So maybe the children stayed with Death Watch through Maul's leadership but left before the empire came in. MAybe they still follow Mauls teachings?

I was hoping that the hooded figure would be Sabine. I hope she is with Asoka(who is being played by Rosario Dawson, don't think I saw that mentioned) but she has to show up in the story at some point, right? We last see her leaving with Asoka at the end of Rebels going searching for Ezra(which I think took place time jumped forward to after ROTJ, so only 5 years prior to the Mandolorian) Wonder if he will show up eventually, maybe future seasons. I have a feeling we are about to learn what this show is going to become. Its going to open up into a much larger story.

New episode went up yesterday. I wanted to hold off on posting, but I can't help it. HOLY. CRAP! What an episode! They are definitely starting to merge story lines with some big time name drops from the animated Rebels series.

Spoiler

Rosario Dawson knocked it out of the park as Ahsoka Tano and as a Star Wars fan it brings me great joy to finally see my favorite character in live action. She was absolutely badass and I loved the samurai style of the episode. Ahsoka is still on the hunt for Grand Admiral Thrawn after he disappeared with Ezra Bridger at the end of Star Wars: Rebels. I wonder if we will see Thrawn and Ezra next season. Thrawn showed up on Rebels in season 3, so I wonder if he will show up again in season 3 of Mandalorian. This episode was a 10/10 for me and also we finally get a name for baby Yoda, but he will always be baby Yoda to me. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 11/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, ridgeview2 said:

New episode went up yesterday. I wanted to hold off on posting, but I can't help it. HOLY. CRAP! What an episode! They are definitely starting to merge story lines with some big time name drops from the animated Rebels series.

Reveal hidden contents

Rosario Dawson knocked it out of the park as Ahsoka Tano and as a Star Wars fan it brings me great joy to finally see my favorite character in live action. She was absolutely badass and I loved the samurai style of the episode. Ahsoka is still on the hunt for Grand Admiral Thrawn after he disappeared with Ezra Bridger at the end of Star Wars: Rebels. I wonder if we will see Thrawn and Ezra next season. Thrawn showed up on Rebels in season 3, so I wonder if he will show up again in season 3 of Mandalorian. This episode was a 10/10 for me and also we finally get a name for baby Yoda, but he will always be baby Yoda to me. 

Spoiler

There has been talk that the epilog of revels takes place after this episode. That's why Sabine wasn't there..... She finds out where thrawn is and goes gets Sabine to get Ezra and thrawn. 

Agreed about the episode it was great. 

6 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So we get to pretend like Jedi never happened? Hell yeah! This show is saving Star Wars one episode at a time.

There's only so much nerdgasm I can handle. I felt like I needed a smoke after that last episode. 

1 hour ago, ridgeview2 said:

There's only so much nerdgasm I can handle. I felt like I needed a smoke after that last episode. 

Robert Rodriguez did an amazing job with that episode. This is actually what a friend of mine said on our Discord server about it last night.

1aJyJzZ.png

33 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Robert Rodriguez did an amazing job with that episode. This is actually what a friend of mine said on our Discord server about it last night.

1aJyJzZ.png

Spoiler

When Mando flew back to Nevarro to speak with Cara Dune about breaking out Mayfield, I totally thought they were flying back to the planet Ahsoka was on to pick her up. I think in the next episode Mando breaks out Mayfield then tracks down Bo-Katan who picks up Moff Gideon's trail. This season finale is going to be epic and at the very end I think we'll see a glimpse of either Thrawn or Ezra.